Sponsored

No Oil In Tank, NO WARNING DISPLAYED/ Mustang 2015

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
2018 5.0's do not have oil level sensors.

Per the shop manual wiring diagrams 2015 automatics have oil level sensors and manuals have oil pressure sensors. parts.ford.com however shows the level sensor with no distinction between autos and manuals. Both activate the oil warning light and probably trigger an audible or visual message.
My 2015 6-speed manual has he low oil level sensor installed in the side of the oil pan. Why would Ford put one there if it wasn't meant to function?

S550 Low Oil Level Sensor.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not disagreeing, but from just that, I can't tell if the light is for low oil. The same message would make sense if it was from intermittent low pressure. Telling you to check the oil level would be logical since that would be the most likely reason for low pressure. That plus calling low oil a malfunction seems strange unless the person writing it knows its for low pressure. Does the manual actually say that message is tripped by a low level sensor?
Because if it's low oil pressure a message (and probably a chime sound) comes up on the information display.

S550 Low Oil Pressure Warning.JPG

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My main question was; when the reservoir was almost empty, shouldn't it at least pop up a warning at the dashboard? When oil level gets low would the latest model usually appear a warning? (I'm asking cause in my case it didn't and want to find if my car computer might be faulty).
Maybe the engine needs to be running for it to enable the warning system. Obviously, something you don't want to test out if that's how it functions.

I removed the sensor for testing and still the same, no warning appeared.
How did you test the sensor with it removed from the car?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I don't know, there is still something fishy about this whole story...I don't see how not changing the filter leads to a massive leak somehow.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Cars rarely have oil level indicators. A few high end European luxury cars have them, but only because if they could, they would lock the hood and only allow a dealership to access the engine. The only way a level gauge could work is with a dry sump and even then, it could not be accurate. The oil pressure gauge will tell you when the oil level is too far down because the oil pickup will start sucking air, which will give a few seconds of warning. The dipstick only works because you check it with the engine off and has time to settle. Most level sensors work by measuring the contact with the liquid. Most oils can stay for several minutes as just a film, so there is no immediate response to change. The only effective way to monitor the level is after the oil has cooled down and just before the engine is started. Rarely would a visual alarm be noticed. It would make more sense to just prevent the vehicle from starting until the issue is resolved.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars rarely have oil level indicators. A few high end European luxury cars have them, but only because if they could, they would lock the hood and only allow a dealership to access the engine.
I know that Mazda RX-7s had oil level sensors because the engines were designed to burn oil to lubricate the rotors, so the oil level was always slowly going down. On a side note, my old Yamaha RD400 had an oil level warning sensor in the 2-cycle oil tank - also had a dipstick. Pretty cool stuff for 1976.

The only way a level gauge could work is with a dry sump and even then, it could not be accurate. The oil pressure gauge will tell you when the oil level is too far down because the oil pickup will start sucking air, which will give a few seconds of warning.
Yeah, only a few seconds warning, so by then it becomes a dangerous situation and engine damage can start to happen. I think all cars should have an oil level sensor, might save some engines for those who don't make it a habit to check their oil, or in cases there was a pretty good oil leak starting and the driver doesn't realize it's going on. I certainly wouldn't rely on it to make an excuse not to check the oil level manually however - only for those cases where an unexpected oil leak might show up.

Last edited:

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
My 90 LX had a low oil level indicator. It came on once when I backed up a very steep driveway and most of the oil drained to the front sump.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I have spent a lifetime dealing with level sensors of all types. For an automotive engine, it is not worth the effort to try to monitor oil levels. You can easily monitor the oil pressure, oil temp, and oil life, but nothing beats the dip stick for oil level. When you purchase any vehicle, it will specify checking the oil according to their recommended frequency. If you fail to follow those guidelines, the manufacturer is not liable. If the failure is quick, it is doubtful that a level check will detect it, and the only question is mechanical failure vs act of God.

Look at what levels are monitored in a vehicle. Fuel is often the only liquid. That is because it is a large capacity storage, consistent viscosity, low temperature range and uses a baffled tank designed to control fluctuations. Do you see oil level sensors on radiators, power steering(old style), brakes, or differentials?

In a sense, manufacturers are victims of their high quality in that most customers do not know how to check a car out. It was a matter of routine to check levels, tire pressure. Every 3000 miles, the oil was changed. Points and plugs at 5000 miles. And every few months, the brakes, hoses, belts, and tires needed checking.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have a Yamaha XSR900 that only has an oil level sensor, and no oil pressure sensor. Guess they have full confidence in the oil pump system.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
The lack of a low oil level sensor is definitely a FAIL on Ford's part. Undoubtedly a cost cutting measure. I always appreciated the low oil warning on my BMW and it probably saved my engine a couple times. I recommend all Mustang owners check their dipstick every 1000 miles as a precaution.
My 530 just loves oil!

Lose a quart ever 1800 miles or so.
I'm about to go 100,000 miles on it.

Once every other day or so I check the digital oil display. No dipstick is a fail (not sure I trust the sensor).

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Mustangs have no "low oil" sensor?

Can we confirm this folks?
It's called the dip stick.

And even no oil per the dip stick does not mean no oil. As most only read down to - 2 or 3 quarts.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Are there different oil pans for Gen 1/2, or is the hole for the sensor always there, and without a sensor it is just plugged?

A few high end European luxury cars have them
Every damn Opel/Vauxhall like the Astra (compact) or Vectra (mid-size) had it in den 1990s and 2000s, when you ordered it with CheckControl.
It included "sensors" (rather switch) for oil level low, washer fluid low, inner brake pad worn, a detection for broken light bulbs and on-board computer functions that are nowdays integrated into the speedometer (average consumption, instantaneous consumption, driving time, stopwatch...)
These are all little things that car manufacturers no longer even offer at extra cost, presumably because they are not a purchase criterion at the dealership, but only become a nuisance later on.
Saves the manufacturer a few dollars to leave out the switches and wiring, but can save the vehicle owner money and nerves if it's there.

How I got here:
The plastic oil pan on my 2020 was leaking oil at the gasket/sealant and it took the shop two tries and a new oil pan to fix it.
If the problem occurs again out of warranty, I would upgrade to the Gen1/2 oil pan (with a PBH Performance kit), which according to this thread was available with and without the oil level sensor.
https://pbhperformance.com/product/gen-3-coyote-oil-pan-conversion-kit/
Maybe a way to get the oil level low switch for a 2018+? 🤔
Sponsored

Last edited: