No Oil In Tank, NO WARNING DISPLAYED/ Mustang 2015

nobetterthanpony12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Youssef
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 2015

In the past 3 days i changed the oil in my car. Suddenly I noticed a strange sound and turned out the car had an oil leak.

The leaking part got fixed, but what's strange is that I had no warning whatsoever. Before changing the oil, I also found I was low on oil and no warning.

I removed the sensor for testing and still the same, no warning appeared. Please I checked with many electricians around and no one knew the problem. Contacted a ford dealer and told me they show no warning (except based on the IOLM which can be reset manually through the dashboard). I believe it's absurd and dumb for what he told me be true.

Sorry for the long post, but it's very dangerous and frustrating. I'm not willing to let my engine blow up. I'll always keep a constant check but there must be a warning that would pop up. Please any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Before posting this long post I did severe search and find none for my case. So I had no other option than post.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Mustangs have no "low oil" sensor?

Can we confirm this folks?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That's what I had heard: there is no low oil warning. Since I check regularly, I didn't think that was a big issue, but definitely a risk if a bad leak occurs. I wonder if there is an aftermarket solution.

I'm curious what sensor the OP removed, since I didn't think there was one.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
No low oil level only a low oil pressure.

On my 2018 you can go 2 qts low and never drop a pressure signal. I am assuming the cut off is around 7qts low before problems.

The 2015 to 2017s take 8 qts and i assume they can get down to around 5 1/2 to 6qts low before problems.

Remember as long as there is oil in the pan the effect of running less oil is the oil gets hotter and shortens the life span of the oil more. You can get sludge if you burn it up from ignoring it for an extended period of time and burning it up.

The real problems come when the pressure light comes on as then you aren't even circulating the oil you do have adequately and youll get burn oil and heat damage fast.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
The lack of a low oil level sensor is definitely a FAIL on Ford's part. Undoubtedly a cost cutting measure. I always appreciated the low oil warning on my BMW and it probably saved my engine a couple times. I recommend all Mustang owners check their dipstick every 1000 miles as a precaution.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nobetterthanpony12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Youssef
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 2015
No low oil level only a low oil pressure.

On my 2018 you can go 2 qts low and never drop a pressure signal. I am assuming the cut off is around 7qts low before problems.

The 2015 to 2017s take 8 qts and i assume they can get down to around 5 1/2 to 6qts low before problems.

Remember as long as there is oil in the pan the effect of running less oil is the oil gets hotter and shortens the life span of the oil more. You can get sludge if you burn it up from ignoring it for an extended period of time and burning it up.

The real problems come when the pressure light comes on as then you aren't even circulating the oil you do have adequately and youll get burn oil and heat damage fast.
The problem is the reservoir was almost empty. i discovered that I ran low on oil because i heard a ticking sound from the engine, otherwise I would have kept driving. From my perspective, how you describe the oil pressure sensor definitely is correct. But I barely had oil left (if any even (less than 1 qt)). Not precise about the measurements cause i had to add 2 qt in order to move it over a tow truck and transport it to my garage. And when checked with dipstick, no oil at all. In addition, I removed the oil pressure sensor in order to return a warning and nothing at all happened.

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic Metal
As far as I know they didn't have low oil back on 99' either. It was in my 99' that I spun a rod bearing and learned that the factory oil pressure sensor would show "good to go" down to 4psi...

Have not trusted it since

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I'm not aware that any car I've ever owned or had given to me for business use ever had a low oil sensor. I just check the oil regularly and I've never had a problem (touching wood as he types).

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
The problem is the reservoir was almost empty. i discovered that I ran low on oil because i heard a ticking sound from the engine, otherwise I would have kept driving. From my perspective, how you describe the oil pressure sensor definitely is correct. But I barely had oil left (if any even (less than 1 qt)). Not precise about the measurements cause i had to add 2 qt in order to move it over a tow truck and transport it to my garage. And when checked with dipstick, no oil at all. In addition, I removed the oil pressure sensor in order to return a warning and nothing at all happened.
Shouldnt be the case.

In my car zero oil on the dipstick was exactly 8qts left in the oil pan.

I assume in a 15 to 17 no oil on dip stick means close to 6 in the pan still?

Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
If there's no sensor, then what is that thing sticking out of the side of the pan that Ford calls a "level sensor"? Is it just for show?
mustangoil.png
If it's there being 2 qts low in an 18 won't set it off is all I can say. No one seems to be aware of a low level warning light either?

Last edited:

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
I am 68 years old, have had muscle cars off and on since the late 1960s, have raced, including motorcycles and airplanes, and have never even heard of a low oil sensor.

YOU are responsible for the oil level. Every one of mine has had a low oil pressure sensor, but no low oil level sensor.

How would it know? When the engine is running, the oil is thrown all over the place. You could set up an oil level when the engine is off and disable it when you start up, but I have never see or heard of it being done.

Last edited:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I am 68 years old, have had muscle cars off and on since the late 1960s, have raced, including motorcycles and airplanes, and have never even heard of a low oil sensor.

YOU are responsible for the oil level. Every one of mie has had a low oil pressure sensor, but no low oil level sensor.

How would it know? When the engine is running, the oil is thrown all over the place. You could set up an oil level when the engine is off and disable it when you start up, but I have never see or heard of it being done.
How dare you tell people that they need to check their oil level. My goodness, what are you thinking!?!? (sarcasm)