Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
F!

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I work for a tech company. The global semiconductor shortage is a huge issue nobody is talking about, in terms of the macroeconomic world. Our entire way of life depends on them. It's driving costs of everything up, too. My company is paying twice as much for them as we were before covid.

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Poop, I got one on order.

nedim1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Magnetic Metallic GT
I work for a Tier 1 automotive supplier. The rumblings about this chip shortage have been in our world since the beginning of this year, but Q2 is when the impact will really be felt. Expect a lot of rolling shutdowns on OEM plants. Priority for chip availability is expected to be given to truck plants, as that's where most of the demand in the market is. Passenger car plants will be shut down first when possible.

Reactions: XS

Sponsored

Yoyofourme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Susan
Vehicle(s)
2004 convertible, 2021 ecoboost convertible
I work for a Tier 1 automotive supplier. The rumblings about this chip shortage have been in our world since the beginning of this year, but Q2 is when the impact will really be felt. Expect a lot of rolling shutdowns on OEM plants. Priority for chip availability is expected to be given to truck plants, as that's where most of the demand in the market is. Passenger car plants will be shut down first when possible.
Poop, I got one on order.
so do I!! Wonder how long it will be delayed?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, this is probably too simplistic but wonder if Ford will reprioritize the schedule to build customer orders first before dealer orders? Seems to make sense from a cashflow standpoint to make the cars you already know you can sell, as opposed to cars that may sit on dealer lots for months.

Hey, we can hope, can't we??

nedim1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Magnetic Metallic GT
Hmm, this is probably too simplistic but wonder if Ford will reprioritize the schedule to build customer orders first before dealer orders? Seems to make sense from a cashflow standpoint to make the cars you already know you can sell, as opposed to cars that may sit on dealer lots for months.

Hey, we can hope, can't we??
I don't know that I'd call it thinking in an over-simplistic way, and it's definitely not a far out road you're going down, but it's not how the OEM's operate. They're shutting down whole plants on a staggered basis, based on what platform a given plant produces. Flat Rock Assembly produces the Mustang and Lincoln Continental, both of which are smaller passenger cars. In the current market, with trucks outselling anything else, their strategy will be to try to avoid closing KCAP and Dearborn Truck Plant at all costs (F-150).

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
2021 is shaping up to be just as much fun as last year.

Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
Don't know anything about a semiconductor shortage, but Bill Gates got plenty of the nanochips ready for our COVID-19 vaccinations. Ever since I got my first Pfizer shot last month, my 5G reception has been phenomenal, I can telepathically communicate with the Sharkfin antenna on the roof and I feel as though I can connect with the universe.

It's been great. Highly recommend it.

OP
OP
jimroth

jimroth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Convertible 401A P8F Rapid Red
Don't know anything about a semiconductor shortage, but Bill Gates got plenty of the nanochips ready for our COVID-19 vaccinations. Ever since I got my first Pfizer shot last month, my 5G reception has been phenomenal, I can telepathically communicate with the Sharkfin antenna on the roof and I feel as though I can connect with the universe.

It's been great. Highly recommend it.
Sadly, your Tremec prostate has been replaced with a Getrag...

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
So I’m happy as hell but don’t understand it... just got an email from Ford saying my prod date got moved up from 5/24 to 5/17!

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't "just in time" JIT, inventory management great?
Also, higher profit margin vehicles will be the last to get idled, as in trucks and SUV's.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hey Mik what proportion of the world demand does TSMC provide and where is most of the rest made?
Sponsored