Sponsored

Nitto R888R Or MT ET ss tires best street for boost??

Plati_G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F150, 2016 Ford Mustang GT
I have 17x10 VMS Wheels with 305/45/17 Mickey Thompson ET Street Rs. 60-degree weather and they'll dead hook in 2nd from a 40 roll (700rwhp with 3.73s). I don't plan on daily driving on them due to trying to save them for the drag strip, but I am really impressed how they do on the street. They're not aired down either and no burnout required. At least from a roll they don't.
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Unfortunately thereā€™s no ā€œone size fits allā€ when it comes to tires. Either you have great handling UHP summer tires like the PS4s that can get you through mild winters or you have a track oriented compound like the Cup 2s that have even better dry traction but will suffer in wet conditions or when the temps drop below 55.

If you want to hook in 1st and launch hard you need drag slicks. DOT Drag radials will help on streets but you wonā€™t be doing any digs without a prepped surface.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Unfortunately thereā€™s no ā€œone size fits allā€ when it comes to tires. Either you have great handling UHP summer tires like the PS4s that can get you through mild winters or you have a track oriented compound like the Cup 2s that have even better dry traction but will suffer in wet conditions or when the temps drop below 55.

If you want to hook in 1st and launch hard you need drag slicks. DOT Drag radials will help on streets but you wonā€™t be doing any digs without a prepped surface.
For me, my car is not a daily driver and it is stored in weather below 55. Street Boosted drivers seem to like Nitto R888R seem to be the best No Prep street traction tire. Except I guess they sound like a 4x4 pickup tire. Lol

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
For me, my car is not a daily driver and it is stored in weather below 55. Street Boosted drivers seem to like Nitto R888R seem to be the best No Prep street traction tire. Except I guess they sound like a 4x4 pickup tire. Lol
Yeah the Toyo R888R seem to be the go-to for mixed driving. I live in Florida so afternoon showers are always a thing to prepare for so Iā€™ve resigned myself to sticking to the PS4s. I wonā€™t be winning any drag races but Iā€™ll keep it out of the ditch when itā€™s wet and have plenty of traction rolling starts at mid gear.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R888R tire size selection sucks.

Nothing I would want in 17, 18 or 19

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Im going to be a little...spicy
I will never ever stop to say the nitto 555 and Toyo 888r are not the best tires. Actually not even "good"
No one. Nooooo one. Use them on roadcourse (and with all the respect ,the ones who use them are ...slow)
That means the grip is not the greatest

There are many other options for super sticky tires.
I assumeryou don't see a lot of rain.

You need to check the "cheat" 200tw.

Yokohama A052 are the best tire right now. They are also very good in wet condition(faster than ps4) . Waaay superior than cup2
To compare in a 2min lap they are 5 second min faster than 888R

NANKANG CRS another good "200tw" tire
Slighty behind the A052 but way more size available. Does a nice job on wet too

FALKEN RT660 Slighty behind the first 2 is definitely a great overall tire.

BRIDGESTONE RE71RS Fast and grippy like the A052 the size are limited. Not the best for rain tho.

Hope this help.

Alessandro

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the R888R is definitely considered overrated in the road racing circles

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I will never ever stop to say the nitto 555 and Toyo 888r are not the best tires. Actually not even "good"
No one. Nooooo one. Use them on roadcourse (and with all the respect ,the ones who use them are ...slow)

Yokohama A052 are the best tire right now. They are also very good in wet condition(faster than ps4) . Waaay superior than cup2

BRIDGESTONE RE71RS Fast and grippy like the A052 the size are limited. Not the best for rain tho.

Hope this help.

Alessandro
I do know ro9ad course and street are two different animals to say the least. I want tires which dont need alot of warm up time to get traction. I don't drive in the rain, snow. or below 50 degrees so allot of those issues I will not have. I will look into those tires and see how they would work for my specific application.
Thank You for your help, it is most informative and that's what makes forums like this a good place to give and receive actual real world information.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Have you ran both? I don't find this to be the case at all. Drag radials hook up a gear earlier for me.
All I know is, I need to replace my IND500 tires. I just did a WOT to 7k on a Concrete road and while in 3rd gear shifting to 4th at about 6000k my rear tires broke loose and traction control kicked in and stopped WOT pull. I cannot even take TC off with these tires. I dont road course, drag race anymore. Just want safe, reliable WOT pulls from a dig when ever I desire.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
I do know ro9ad course and street are two different animals to say the least. I want tires which dont need alot of warm up time to get traction. I don't drive in the rain, snow. or below 50 degrees so allot of those issues I will not have. I will look into those tires and see how they would work for my specific application.
Thank You for your help, it is most informative and that's what makes forums like this a good place to give and receive actual real world information.
feel free to ask anytime.
ONE NOTE. the "cheat 200tw" are made for autocross and time trials. so THEY ARE READY AFTER FEW TURNS. they are magical. way faster than other tires. including the awful NITTO or toyo lol
let us know!

Sponsored

Autopart101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
I'm at 800whp. MT Street Rs hook much better than Nitto R2s.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

Hope this help.

Alessandro
The 555 are not a track tire and were never advertised as such. The 555RII are a drag radial. The G2 is just your run of the mill 3 season tire.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
The 555 are not a track tire and were never advertised as such. The 555RII are a drag radial. The G2 is just your run of the mill 3 season tire.
Again. I'm not saying they are track tire.
But I feel mustang world sticks around 888r and nitto because many big companies sell their wheels paired with these tires. And for lack of knowledge of the rest of competition.

The tires I mentioned are superior.
If you want something that is great on gripping I Would strongly consider the ones I was suggesting :)
That's it šŸ˜Š

Last edited:

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see any advantage to running those "race" tires over a drag radial. They aren't bad choices but they have stiffer sidewalls and don't come in great sizes.

Juggernaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, Expedition platty max, TBSS, Silvy, Camaro
Personally I don't find nittos any better then a good street tire. My old street bfg kdw would 60 the same as my nitto radials. The kdw was the best non drag radial I ever ran. To bad they aren't made anymore.
Put a mickey radial on it and be done, night and day difference
Sponsored