Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I feel my tune may be a bit to conservative. I feel like my car could stand a few more degrees of timing. My car has never pulled timing or pinged.. I ran the car on E coming home one night. The closest station only had 87 and I put 87 octane in it. I decided to ease down on it to just to see if it changed anything.. It changed nothing. I have the car back on 93 octane, but I don't think this tune matters.. SUPER SAFE TUNE! The car ran the same and never retarded timing.. IT NEVER PINGED ON 87 OCTANE! I am not taking away from the tune.. The car ran a best of 7.12 at 100mph in the 1/8th tonight with some tire spin.. I am wondering what your NGauge is showing at WOT for your timing advance. As you all know, 2 degrees of timing can yield a lot of HP and TQ. I am switching my Roush blower to the new VMP blower. It is 18% increase in flow and should give me the SC WHINE I want. I had three people ask me why my blower does not whine.
Let me know what your NGauge shows on timing WOT. Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I feel my tune may be a bit to conservative. I feel like my car could stand a few more degrees of timing. My car has never pulled timing or pinged.. I ran the car on E and put 87 octane in it, just to see if it changed anything.. It changed nothing. I have the car back on 93 octane, but I don't think this tune matters.. SUPER SAFE TUNE! The car ran the same and never retarded timing.. IT NEVER PINGED ON 87 OCTANE! I am not taking away from the tune.. The car ran a best of 7.12 at 100mph in the 1/8th tonight with some tire spin.. I am wondering what your NGauge is showing at WOT for your timing advance. As you all know, 2 degrees of timing can yield a lot of HP and TQ. I am switching my Roush blower to the new VMP blower. It is 18% increase in flow and should give me the SC WHINE I want. I had three people ask me why my blower does not whine.
I am sure it is a safe tune. Lund doesn't want to blow up your motor. I would do a data log and then send it to Lund and tell them you want more. That's what I did and he sent a more aggressive tune which I call my race tune. If you do that I WOULD NOT drop 87 in there to test it out....dangerous experiment there, pre-detonation happens long before you can hear it. Just keep data logging with the fuel you are going to run until you get to the line you don't want to cross.

Last edited:

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I feel my tune may be a bit to conservative. I feel like my car could stand a few more degrees of timing. My car has never pulled timing or pinged.. I ran the car on E and put 87 octane in it, just to see if it changed anything.. It changed nothing. I have the car back on 93 octane, but I don't think this tune matters.. SUPER SAFE TUNE! The car ran the same and never retarded timing.. IT NEVER PINGED ON 87 OCTANE! I am not taking away from the tune.. The car ran a best of 7.12 at 100mph in the 1/8th tonight with some tire spin.. I am wondering what your NGauge is showing at WOT for your timing advance. As you all know, 2 degrees of timing can yield a lot of HP and TQ. I am switching my Roush blower to the new VMP blower. It is 18% increase in flow and should give me the SC WHINE I want. I had three people ask me why my blower does not whine.
Not using an nguage but from my logs my 93oct tune has 18 degrees of timing at wot.I also have a race tune that i run ms109 on and that tune gives me 21 degrees of timing at wot.No knock at all.

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
Why the hell would you run a BOOSTED and HIGH COMPRESSION 6K motor on 87 octane to see if you can make it ping...wow...

this is why Lund makes tunes safer for people that do this kind of stuff...

OP
OP
Dntalman

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Why the hell would you run a BOOSTED and HIGH COMPRESSION 6K motor on 87 octane to see if you can make it ping...wow...

Did not run it "race it" on 87 I put a little 87 in it to get home. Sorry for the wording… I did not RUN the car like drag racing…I eased into it to see if anything changed.. It did not. The NGauge gave advance only.

Sponsored

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
Did not run it on 87. I put a little 87 in it.. Sorry for the wording… I did not RUN the car like drag racing…I eased into it to see if anything changed.. It did not.
dude that just isn't smart at all

I agree 100%

GSLSE20B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 SHADOW BLACK GTPP
Did not run it on 87. I put a little 87 in it.. Sorry for the wording… I did not RUN the car like drag racing…I eased into it to see if anything changed.. It did not.
Does your ngauge show -10 Knockr ? If it does have them raise the base timing throughout the map until it only shows -2 . Safe enough and powerful , until you get some bad gas :lol:

OP
OP
Dntalman

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Does your ngauge show -10 Knockr ? If it does have them raise the base timing throughout the map until it only shows -2 . Safe enough and powerful , until you get some bad gas :lol:
Mine runs -7 to -10 all the time.. I thought that was on the extreme safe side.

OP
OP
Dntalman

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did not run it "race it" on 87 I put a little 87 in it to get home. Sorry for the wording… I did not RUN the car like drag racing…I eased into it to see if anything changed.. It did not. The NGauge gave advance only.
dude that just isn't smart at all

I agree 100%
Now that you guys have figured out I am a dumb ass… You think you could actually give me advice for the question I asked?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
did you go wot on the 87?

normal driving won't tell you anything.

lund can always be more aggressive on the tune, but that is "at your own risk" they want the car to last for you

they would prefer like a can of octanium or something in the tank for a more aggressive tune

Sponsored

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
I would never ever put 87 in a car tuned for 93 even as an experiment to test any parameters especially not a boosted car...what if you pull out and someone flies up and you have to go WOT? Just be careful.

You need to talk to Lund. He is your tuner. He will tell you why your parameters are what they are. Gas quality varies state to state and they can pick up on this after tuning many cars and can limit timing. Pump gas boosted cars (93) should see 15-18* of timing at WOT with a FI car, E85 cars should see 20-24* of timing at WOT, and 91 octane should see 13-16* of timing at WOT. These are general guidelines. Adding timing to get that last 10-15rwhp is not worth it.

OP
OP
Dntalman

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

lund can always be more aggressive on the tune, but that is "at your own risk" they want the car to last for you

they would prefer like a can of octanium or something in the tank for a more aggressive tune
No sir, I just eased down on it to about 5 to 5.5k. I did not want it to ping. I just wanted to see if it reduced the neg number a point or two… It stayed the same.. kind of like I have a 87 octane tune. Yes, I agree that a safe tune looks out for my car.. I just feel a degree or two more on the timing would net more hp gains "guessing possibly as much as 50hp". I think with the car running -7 to -10. Thanks for responding Beefcake. I was hoping one of Big Dogs would respond. It is always good to get advice from you.. It is good solid advice!

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0

What brand of Octanium do you guys run and where do you buy it?

OP
OP
Dntalman

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I would never ever put 87 in a car tuned for 93 even as an experiment to test any parameters especially not a boosted car...what if you pull out and someone flies up and you have to go WOT? Just be careful.
87 was put in to get me home. Gave it a little gas just to watch the gauge to see if the advance changed any… it stayed the same. Like it is tuned for it. I ran it up like passing a car. I would not WOT with low octane fuel. Again, I got it… you think I am a dumb ass!

You need to talk to Lund. He is your tuner. He will tell you why your parameters are what they are. Gas quality varies state to state and they can pick up on this after tuning many cars and can limit timing. Pump gas boosted cars (93) should see 15-18* of timing at WOT with a FI car, E85 cars should see 20-24* of timing at WOT, and 91 octane should see 13-16* of timing at WOT. These are general guidelines. Adding timing to get that last 10-15rwhp is not worth it.
This answer does actually make since and was very helpful. Does your car run -10 to -7 on advance? That seems very safe.

OP
OP
Dntalman

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT