Sponsored

New Whipple Issues

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I finally installed my Whipple stage 1 kit (standard injectors, standard TB, but with the big heat exchanger). I am having a few issues:

1. The big HE does not allow the adaptive cruise control radar thing to fit. I had to remove the entire assembly in order for the HE to clear.

2. I am getting a P0098(Confirmed) - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit High (Bank 1) error in Flare with a corresponding CEL. I'm not sure which sensor, physically, this is.

3. The rev hang is unbelievable. I can get it to 4000 RPM in 4th gear, for example, and it will hold 4000 RPM until I clutch in, then it acts like it's going to stall. It hasn't yet, but it feels like it's about to.

4. On the freeway in 6th, I push the gas pedal and almost nothing registers as far as speed is concerned. It feels like I'm in like 8th gear or something, like the pedal is almost completely dead.

5. It will not restart immediately after it is shut down. It will crank and crank but never actually light up until it cools down a little bit.

This is all on the Whipple provided tune. It almost feels like my tune is wrong, but I am unclear at this point. Any advice prior to calling them on Monday? Thanks!
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
For sure call Whipple tech they will help you figure this out. I would start by checking the inlet for any leaks coupling and MAF area. Also make sure you MAF is installed properly, I've seen it installed back words before. Go over all your connections, IAT2 in the manifold and the throttle body as well as the MAF. Sounds like a possible air leak to me.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I finally installed my Whipple stage 1 kit (standard injectors, standard TB, but with the big heat exchanger). I am having a few issues:

1. The big HE does not allow the adaptive cruise control radar thing to fit. I had to remove the entire assembly in order for the HE to clear.

2. I am getting a P0098(Confirmed) - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit High (Bank 1) error in Flare with a corresponding CEL. I'm not sure which sensor, physically, this is.

3. The rev hang is unbelievable. I can get it to 4000 RPM in 4th gear, for example, and it will hold 4000 RPM until I clutch in, then it acts like it's going to stall. It hasn't yet, but it feels like it's about to.

4. On the freeway in 6th, I push the gas pedal and almost nothing registers as far as speed is concerned. It feels like I'm in like 8th gear or something, like the pedal is almost completely dead.

5. It will not restart immediately after it is shut down. It will crank and crank but never actually light up until it cools down a little bit.

This is all on the Whipple provided tune. It almost feels like my tune is wrong, but I am unclear at this point. Any advice prior to calling them on Monday? Thanks!
You'll have to ask Whipple about (1)

2.) The IAT sensor is on the driver side of the the Intercooler, about dead in the middle of that side. You probably have it hooked into the wrong connector of the IMRC. It should be in the white connector that coming FROM the passenger side.

3.) Do you have the air box lid on? I get rev hang when it's off. The tune is designed around it being on, so that could be your issue.

4.) If by pushing the gas pedal, you mean flooring it. Stop. Don't do that. I guarantee you're going to blow the motor. 5th and 6th are overdrive gears and you really don't need to be doing anything other than light acceleration in those gears. 5th, I'll push a little bit if I'm passing on the highway, but if I need to move, I'll drop to 4th.

5.) It sounds like you're either flooding the engine or not getting fuel somehow. I would pull the injectors and check the orings for proper seating. Also, try to get a datalog so see what your fuel looks like on hot starts.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not flooring it. The symptoms I'm referring to are apparent when trying to accelerate from 65 to70, for example. 6th gear is much more responsive on a bone stock car than it is currently.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to take another look at it today.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airbox cover is on (it wasn't last night, to be fair.) The temp sensor that's plugged into the connector in the middle of the manifold on the drivers side is plugged into the white connector that's in the same bundle as the two blue ones, all of which were originally plugged into the back of the stock manifold. The intake hose clamps are all tight. I went on a drive and observed that in any gear, if you get off the gas the car will hold whatever RPM I was at indefinitely. Slowing down drops the revs, but as soon as you get off the brakes, the car holds the RPM again. Not that I'm doing anything resembling spirited driving right now, but the "dead pedal" that I observed last night in 6th is present in other gears. In other words, while it's holding 4000 rpm in 4th gear, I have a very hard time getting it up to 5000 RPM. This feels like an air leak or a tune issue, but I'm mystified as to where it could be leaking from. Also, still no go on the hot starts.

Sponsored

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=13288]Whipple SC[/MENTION] might be able to chime in.

If it is tune related, try to reflash the tune. Can you get a video of what the car is doing?

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I reflashed the whipple tune and it almost seems worse now, but the behavior of the car when it's in gear (as of this morning, at least) is a little less obnoxious for some reason. In this clip, the revs actually want to climb on their own, but that may be a side effect of me having just flashed it. In any case, the rev hang is apparent enough, haha.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Definitely do a relearn. If you're getting misfire codes and flashing CEL, then do it.

Go to configuration(I think) tab, and click profile learn. Then blip to 4k rpm until the CEL goes away and Flare says complete

Sponsored

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
P0098 is from having the iat harness plugged into the wrong imrc plug.

Cant do a crank relearn until you get all codes cleared.

Get rid of the p0098 and do a crank relearn and i bet you will be running like a top.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm fairly sure it's plugged in correctly; at the back of the blower, there's two, two pin blue connectors (one is used for the intercooler pump) and the other is a three pin, white connector. This is what the IAT2 sensor is plugged into. I have had the 0098 code since the first or second startup, so it is still possible that something isn't plugged in right.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You'll have to ask Whipple about (1)

2.) The IAT sensor is on the driver side of the the Intercooler, about dead in the middle of that side. You probably have it hooked into the wrong connector of the IMRC. It should be in the white connector that coming FROM the passenger side.

3.) Do you have the air box lid on? I get rev hang when it's off. The tune is designed around it being on, so that could be your issue.

4.) If by pushing the gas pedal, you mean flooring it. Stop. Don't do that. I guarantee you're going to blow the motor. 5th and 6th are overdrive gears and you really don't need to be doing anything other than light acceleration in those gears. 5th, I'll push a little bit if I'm passing on the highway, but if I need to move, I'll drop to 4th.

5.) It sounds like you're either flooding the engine or not getting fuel somehow. I would pull the injectors and check the orings for proper seating. Also, try to get a datalog so see what your fuel looks like on hot starts.
His sig says he has a manual car where 5 th gear is 1 to 1 and 6th is overdrive.

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
I'm fairly sure it's plugged in correctly; at the back of the blower, there's two, two pin blue connectors (one is used for the intercooler pump) and the other is a three pin, white connector. This is what the IAT2 sensor is plugged into. I have had the 0098 code since the first or second startup, so it is still possible that something isn't plugged in right.
Is the plug seated all the way in? I had the p0098 code wheni installed mine. Cant remember what exactly we did to fix it wether it was swap which connector was plugged in or made sure it was plugged in all the way. For some reason I want to say we had it plugged in the wrong spot.

I never drove it before we figured it out though. Just know it was making the car idle funny and the revs hanging, and then no start conditions.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I'm not flooring it. The symptoms I'm referring to are apparent when trying to accelerate from 65 to70, for example. 6th gear is much more responsive on a bone stock car than it is currently.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to take another look at it today.
Don't forget that it's taking power to spin that blower now.
Sponsored