Sponsored

New to manual shifting

turdbocharged

Threads
Reaction score
So my last mustang was 13 GT A6. I always used the select shift everywhere I went, so I decided a manual was what I wanted when I got my 15.

Now I got the GT PP so it has 373 gears and I'm amazed at how useless first gear is, and how crappy I am at the 1-2 shift under normal slow driving conditions. Is it okay for me to start out in second gear constantly?

Josh
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
You'd be better off practicing the 1-2 shift. Especially being new at a manual, might burn out clutch starting in 2nd.

If you are going slow and in no rush, just make slower, deliberate shifts. You'll get the hang of it.

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Yes, it's fine to do that. After some time you will get better.

BigEasyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
No, 1st is there for a reason. In my 2007 Civic Si, I had to shift into 2nd under normal driving circumstances at 12 mph and 3rd at 20. You'll get used to it.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
When you are more experienced with driving a manual starting in 2nd will make a lot of sense in certain circumstances. Long flat roads or down hill call for starting in 2nd. If you are uphill or in a lot of traffic it's best to start in 1st.

Sponsored

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
I start out in first and I drive a 13 speed mack. There is no way first gear is useless on a 6 speed car.

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
Watch the tach and take advantage of the "rev hang" feature. Sure it will be slower shifts, but they are completely seamless/jerkless. Occasionally I shift too quick from 1-2 and am definitely reminded of it.

And, at first, I thought 1st was useless as well, but now that it is warming up, the grip is out there and its not intolerable!!! I do wish 6th was geared lower though.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Okay, here is my suggestion tossed into the mix. As a general rule, if the car is moving, no matter how slow, use 2nd. Use first to get going from a stop but as soon as the car gets rolling go to 2nd. When I shift this way my foot comes up from the clutch engagement point and then goes right back down to shift to 2nd. At low RPM the shift from 1-2 is very smooth.

That is for city trolling and stop/go driving...for spirited driving shift at higher RPM.

anotherneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' base GT w/3.55s
Just practice. I am guessing you're referring to the bucking when going from 1-2? I personally think its in the stock tune as my 1-2 shift wasnt as smooth as it should have been. After installing a tune the driveability was alot better, this isnt a plug for some company either. Also look into removing the spring under the clutch pedal as that will help also.

Sponsored

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
I do find these threads interesting as in the UK you usually learn to drive and take your test in a manual.

If you want you can learn in an auto but then you are only licenced for autos.

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
I do find these threads interesting as in the UK you usually learn to drive and take your test in a manual.

If you want you can learn in an auto but then you are only licenced for autos.
There is a lot of things we do wrong when it comes to licensing drivers. They will give anyone a license the test is that easy

GPhilly04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost 6MT
So my last mustang was 13 GT A6. I always used the select shift everywhere I went, so I decided a manual was what I wanted when I got my 15.

Now I got the GT PP so it has 373 gears and I'm amazed at how useless first gear is, and how crappy I am at the 1-2 shift under normal slow driving conditions. Is it okay for me to start out in second gear constantly?

Josh
Nice choice on the manual. You won't regret it!

As people have said, just give it time. You'll get used to it and eventually shifting will be second nature; you won't even realize you're doing it.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

Josh
I felt the same way about my PP 1st gear originally. You'll learn to run your gears up to about 4500 rpm's and it'll all make sense. Hang in there pal.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Okay, here is my suggestion tossed into the mix. As a general rule, if the car is moving, no matter how slow, use 2nd. Use first to get going from a stop but as soon as the car gets rolling go to 2nd. When I shift this way my foot comes up from the clutch engagement point and then goes right back down to shift to 2nd. At low RPM the shift from 1-2 is very smooth.

That is for city trolling and stop/go driving...for spirited driving shift at higher RPM.
I agree. Also you'll find these cars have so much torque you don't have to downshift much. I often leave it in 4th gear and the rpm's are under 1000 rpm's. The torque just pulls you right back up to speed again. Forget about ever being in 1st gear other than starts.
Sponsored