NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Does anyone know the average download time?

I tried to download via USB for an hour and half and nothing happened. It just said, "Software Updating". Is this a 4 hour long process? I'm going from V1 to V3 in a 2016.
Sponsored

asteele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo Titanium
Do you mean the update time from the USB being inserted? This is very approximately 15 mins, and it varies due to the speed of your USB drive... an old slow USB drive will make this a much longer process than a modern fast one. Some USB's have a flashing light on them to indicate activity, and they are very useful in this case.
When the USB is inserted, the Sync3 system will copy the update files across, and this is what takes some time.
Unfortunately the Sync3 system doesn't give you any messages to indicate that anything is even happening. Once the copy is complete, you do get a message to say that an "update is in progress" which only takes a few minutes and then it's done. You need to turn off, lock the car and wait a minute to get it to restart.
Lots of people pull the USB out mid-copy as they don't think anything is happening.

Not sure whats happening in your case, but if you are seeing the update message then I think your file copy has completed.
I'd be turning the car off and letting the system reboot - maybe it will come up as having been updated.

Good luck!

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Do you mean the update time from the USB being inserted? This is very approximately 15 mins, and it varies due to the speed of your USB drive... an old slow USB drive will make this a much longer process than a modern fast one. Some USB's have a flashing light on them to indicate activity, and they are very useful in this case.
When the USB is inserted, the Sync3 system will copy the update files across, and this is what takes some time.
Unfortunately the Sync3 system doesn't give you any messages to indicate that anything is even happening. Once the copy is complete, you do get a message to say that an "update is in progress" which only takes a few minutes and then it's done. You need to turn off, lock the car and wait a minute to get it to restart.
Lots of people pull the USB out mid-copy as they don't think anything is happening.

Not sure whats happening in your case, but if you are seeing the update message then I think your file copy has completed.
I'd be turning the car off and letting the system reboot - maybe it will come up as having been updated.

Good luck!
Appreciate the reply.

The USB is a couple of years old. And yes, the lights on it were flashing indicating that files are being moved. But nothing downloaded after 2 key cycles and a Master Reset.

Everything is formatted correctly as well as being unzipped correctly. Maybe I just need to buy a brand new 3.0 USB? This update is a PIA even with doing everything right lol

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
Appreciate the reply.

The USB is a couple of years old. And yes, the lights on it were flashing indicating that files are being moved. But nothing downloaded after 2 key cycles and a Master Reset.

Everything is formatted correctly as well as being unzipped correctly. Maybe I just need to buy a brand new 3.0 USB? This update is a PIA even with doing everything right lol
Yeah, try another drive. You can go into the diag menu to see what, if anything, did install so far and tweak the script to skip unnecessary steps to speed it up. Normally it’s maybe 20-30 minutes for a larger update.

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yeah, try another drive. You can go into the fish menu to see what, if anything, did install so far and tweak the script to skip unnecessary steps to speed it up. Normally it’s maybe 20-30 minutes for a larger update.
Sounds good. I'm not hip to the USB 3.0 but the claim of being 10x faster than 2.0 makes this tolerable. I'm gonna go pick one up soon and try to download it later tonight.

Sponsored

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I got the same issue, Tried 3 times, Does the " UPDATING SYSTEM SOFTWARE " and never does a thing. Tried 3 different Flash drives
IMG_20190501_125505.jpg

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
I got the same issue, Tried 3 times, Does the " UPDATING SYSTEM SOFTWARE " and never does a thing. Tried 3 different Flash drives
IMG_20190501_125505.jpg
How long did you let it run these times? Was the activity light still going if the drive has one? Do you see the Gracenotes version being blank when you go to the About SYNC screen?

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
30 minutes the first time, 40 minutes then 1 hour, gave up after that...

update: each time with a different thumb drive

How long did you let it run these times? Was the activity light still going if the drive has one? Do you see the Gracenotes version being blank when you go to the About SYNC screen?

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
IMG_20190501_125505.jpg
Are you plugging into the USB port located in the center console (arm rest).

I found that a USB 3.0 helped. I tried downloading last night and nothing happened after 1.5hrs. Today, everything completed in 15 mins.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
this is happening to me as well, I came here to try and search for an updated version of sync to try and fix it.
Me Three!
Any update to this? I know this post is 8 months old. I use Waze and android auto in my '17. When I play music from my phone, it drops the audio as described. If I play music from the head unit CD or radio, it usually doesn't have any problem. Also, I've noticed recently that sometimes the Waze voice prompts go through my phone speaker and sometimes through my car speakers. I haven't changed settings, it is different on different days. My phone is a 4 year Galaxy S6 so this issue may go away as soon as I upgrade my phone next week.

Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Do you guys think 3.0 is the last update we are going to get for 17 sync 3 and below?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
So my car refused to update sync for over a year now, and then this week the battery was unplugged for 3 days to do some work and magically when I reconnected it I was at version 3.0 instead of 2.3. no idea what happened.

I'm super happy with the update as it fixed all of the issues I had with the system.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
Do you guys think 3.0 is the last update we are going to get for 17 sync 3 and below?
As of now, it looks that any vehicle shipped with v3.0 or earlier will stick with v3.0 and any subsequent service releases (one due fairly shortly) for it.

United States is a selectable option, but after you enter your VIN it says: Your country code is invalid: US
That site is for NNG Nav in other global markets, hence, not valid.
Sponsored