NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
I was updating from 18025 to 18093 and continued to get the same error message regardless of what I tried (disconnect battery cable to dump anything resident in memory, turning off blutooth etc). I read on other Ford sites and the problem has to do with the limited memory available in the non-nav apim. (As is often stated - it has nothing to do with your flash drive). Some had success rearranging the order of the file installations but I found that their order solution was the same order as the present download for the Mustang. It didn't work for me. Some did re-installs back to earlier versions (your 2.2 for example) but you are there and it isn't working for you. It's been determined that the install gets hung up on the 451.3MB and/or 772.1MB files; there isn't enough memory to unpack them both. Their workaround was to delete some of the files, do the install, then delete the other files, while restoring the first deleted files, and do the install again. None of the directions I found were done on 18093, this most recent one, and there are a different number of files with different names across the models, so really nothing to go by.

SO.... Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Here's what I did, I started with removing only one file at a time and it seems to have worked flawlessly.

1. Unpack the JR3T-14G381-AM.zip to your desktop and copy the contents of the JR3T-14G381-AM folder to your flash drive. Work only from your flash drive from this point on.
2. Delete the JR3T-14G423-BA.tar.gz file (772.1mb) from the SyncMyRide folder on your flash drive.
3. Open the autoinstall.lst with a text editor (TextEdit on a Mac or Notepad in Windows) on your flash and delete lines - Item3 and Open3.
4. Remove the spaces where Item3 andOpen3 resided and rename Item4 and Open4 to Item3 andOpen3. EVERYTHING ELSE SHOULD STAY AS IT IS.
5. Save the file with the same name - autoinstall.lst.
2018-09-04 02.54.56 pm.png

6. Take the flash to your car and do the install. It should update successfully and basically tell you that you are finished. But you are not. (I checked the Sync screen and it still showed 18025).
7. Take your flash back to your computer and do the same thing except you will copy the "BA" file from the SyncMyRide folder on your desktop to the same folder on the flash drive.
8. Now, delete the "AM" file - JR3T-14G381-AM.tar.gz (451.3mb) on your flash drive.
9. For simplicity sake, I copied the original autoinstall.lst from the desktop and overwrote the modified one on the flash drive and did steps 3,4, and 5 again, this time deleting Item2 and Open2 lines, removing spaces, and renaming Item3 and Open3 to 2, and Item/Open 4 to 3
10. Repeat step 6 and it SHOULD work for you (caveat emptor). I checked the Sync screen and it shows version 18093. I tested all the functions and everything seems to work fine. It even seems to be quicker - but that could be me wanting it to be so!

Godspeed!
Mike

Thanks for the very detailed instructions. Just so I got this straight, the first time you got rid of item 3 in autoinstall.lst file, renumbered the file then got rid and the associated tar.gz file. Everything else was left the same. After installing step #1, you started step #2. At that point, you started back with the original file that was downloaded from Ford. This time, you got rid of item #2, in the autoinstall.lst file, renumbered the file and then got rid of the associated tar.gz file. Everything else is left the same? At that point, I’m ready to install step #2. Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
Sponsored

EcoBoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base EB; Performance Pack; Power Pack; Magnetic Metallic
Mike

Thanks for the very detailed instructions. Just so I got this straight, the first time you got rid of item 3 in autoinstall.lst file, renumbered the file then got rid and the associated tar.gz file. Everything else was left the same. After installing step #1, you started step #2. At that point, you started back with the original file that was downloaded from Ford. This time, you got rid of item #2, in the autoinstall.lst file, renumbered the file and then got rid of the associated tar.gz file. Everything else is left the same? At that point, I’m ready to install step #2. Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
Jeffrot, I believe you got it. Step 1 - Delete BA so you have the memory to install AM. All other steps remain the same.
Step 2 - Delete AM and re-copy BA so you have the needed memory to install it. Those are the only files you change, so in essence, you repeat the installation of all the other files.

EcoBoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The workaround that is floating around is to install the voice file for a nav APIM onto a non-nav APIM to free up memory while all of the expected files remain present.
It just happens that the voice package on the nav units is smaller and this frees up enough room to run the update as-is from Ford. You lose voice functionality for a minute, but the update ultimately installs the correct version.
Texas Rebel, the problem for me was, I didn't have access from Ford to a nav voice file for the current update 18093, or know where to get one. I couldn't confirm that an earlier version was the same. Did I miss something? Thanks.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Texas Rebel, the problem for me was, I didn't have access from Ford to a nav voice file for the current update 18093, or know where to get one. I couldn't confirm that an earlier version was the same. Did I miss something? Thanks.
You missed that link in the first post.
It leads to a .zip file that's stripped of everything except for a nav-voice installer. The version doesn't make a difference, so once you download it, keep it. The main thing is to get rid of the bulky voice.img file before trying to install an update from Ford.

Ideally we wouldn't need to install the nav version of the voice.img file, but the delete and install are all wrapped in the same tarball. In order to delete one you have to install another. QNX has access to the system pretty locked down, so if the hashes don't match the scripts won't run. We had to get creative with the only thing we can change which is the autoinstall script. Someone over on the Focus forums found that the voice installer works without version or hardware checks and that the nav version of the voice.img file was around 30% of the size of the non-nav voice.img file.

Why Ford can't write their installer to delete the voice file first... I don't know.

If you don't trust that .zip file anyone can get access to their own by locating a VIN for a nav equipped vehicle (2015-2017) that hasn't updated yet and roll your own.

In my opinion, reducing the size of the voice.img file and then running the most recent update as-is is a better route than double installing. Some of the tarballs intertwine and since there is absolutely no feedback other than "successful" or "unsuccessful" you don't know exactly which toes get stepped on by stripping out one of the tarballs.

Also, when modifying the autoinstall script, the associated tarball doesn't have to be deleted. If it's not in the script, it will be ignored.

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
2016 PP with Nav
I'm getting a PKG ERR code when trying to install

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
2016 PP with Nav
I'm getting a PKG ERR code when trying to install
Make sure your file structure is correct. If you're on a mac you may have to either use a non-native unpacking tool or rename the files and build the structure yourself.

There should be three items in the root directory of your flash drive (well call it E:/ )

E:/autoinstall.lst
E:/DONTINDX.MSA
E:/SyncMyRide/

The SyncMyRide/ directory should contain the tarballs (*.tar.gz) files called out in the autoinstall.lst script.

RawisTheGameHhH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Conv't
has anyone else's downloaded and installed via wifi besides mine?

OlTexastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VB GT PP1
first time i have seen the auto update work. however after 20 minutes the progress bar didnt move
2018-09-03 10.46.54.jpg
It took close to an hour to auto update. And when it finished it showed the old version still I went out and checked the next day and it showed the 3.0 version.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Jeffrot, I believe you got it. Step 1 - Delete BA so you have the memory to install AM. All other steps remain the same.
Step 2 - Delete AM and re-copy BA so you have the needed memory to install it. Those are the only files you change, so in essence, you repeat the installation of all the other files.
EcoBoomer:

Was just getting ready to try your fix this afternoon but noticed my autoinstall.lst is quite a bit different then yours. The first half appears to be the same but the 2nd half is already quite a bit shorter. I only have 2 items on the 2nd half so I don't know how to proceed. Any ideas?

; SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.0.14 - Only for My16 NonNav/NonEU assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.18093_PRODUCT]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-THA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-THA.tar.gz
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TBB
Open2 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TBB.tar.gz
Item3 = GB5T-14G386-SC
Open3 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-SC.tar.gz
Item4 = JR3T-14G391-BD
Open4 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-BD.tar.gz
Item5 = JR3T-14G381-AM
Open5 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AM.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = JR3T-14G423-BA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-BA.tar.gz
Item2 = GB5T-14G386-AA
Open2 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AA.tar.gz
Options = Delay,Include,Transaction

Sponsored

Jaehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
anyone have a mirror for the update? can't log into owner.ford.com and password recovery isn't working either

EcoBoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoomer:

Was just getting ready to try your fix this afternoon but noticed my autoinstall.lst is quite a bit different then yours. The first half appears to be the same but the 2nd half is already quite a bit shorter. I only have 2 items on the 2nd half so I don't know how to proceed. Any ideas?

; SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.0.14 - Only for My16 NonNav/NonEU assemblies.

Item1 = HB5T-14G386-THA
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TBB
Item3 = GB5T-14G386-SC
Item4 = JR3T-14G391-BD
Item5 = JR3T-14G381-AM
Options = AutoInstall
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = JR3T-14G423-BA
Item2 = GB5T-14G386-AA
EcoBoomer:

Item1 = HB5T-14G386-THA
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TBB
Item3 = GB5T-14G386-SC
Item4 = JR3T-14G391-BD
Item5 = JR3T-14G381-AM
Options = AutoInstall
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = JR3T-14G423-BA
Item2 = GB5T-14G386-AA
Jeffrot, sorry for the delayed response; the day job interfered...

I don't know what to tell you other than some on one of the Focus forums have had success working around the mem_err03 by rearranging the order of install, so it may not be that big of an issue.

All I can suggest is: 1. As an old NASCAR driver once said - Throw your brains in a bucket and go for it! or 2. Follow what TexasRebel suggests in #5071.

As it stands, I've been putting mine through the paces for the past week and everything seems to be working perfectly.

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Fords website says update available but I downloaded 3.0 in April.I see that it went from AL to AM whats the difference?
SYNC UPDATE.JPG
3.0.JPG
3.0AM.JPG

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Tried updating to the AM file at lunch and got the LST_ERR05 error code. 32gb flash drive was formatted as exFAT. Reformatted to FAT32 this afternoon and will try again on my way home. Since I didn't get the memory error, I'm hopeful I can get this to work somehow without having to do all of the autoinstall file edits.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Tried updating to the AM file at lunch and got the LST_ERR05 error code. 32gb flash drive was formatted as exFAT. Reformatted to FAT32 this afternoon and will try again on my way home. Since I didn't get the memory error, I'm hopeful I can get this to work somehow without having to do all of the autoinstall file edits.
Make sure it's unpacked correctly. exFAT and FAT32 will both work. the LST ERR means the autoinstall.lst script cannot find one of the tarballs (./SyncMyRide/*.tar.gz)
Sponsored