New Shelby GT350 Mustang Revealed! 5.2L Flat Plane Crank V8, 500+HP / 400 LB-FT

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
OK the possibility of me being crazy is quite high :crazy:

But :) if you haven't already (humor me) and listen to the SVT performance video between 3:50 to 4:06.

I'm normally not prone to this type of delusion...............
I heard it. It's cool, but your delusional :) The TR6060 is quite a hefty transmission. I think we get the shift benefit, as mentioned previously by someone else, from the change to the T3160.
Sponsored

DEW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Track Car
I heard it. It's cool, but your delusional :) The TR6060 is quite a hefty transmission. I think we get the shift benefit, as mentioned previously by someone else, from the change to the T3160.

I agree he was saying that the 3160 shifts faster than the 6060 that's not really my point. I just think he inadvertently (or perhaps not) said more...........

I'll shut up now :p

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I agree he was saying that the 3160 shifts faster than the 6060 that's not really my point. I just think he inadvertently (or perhaps not) said more...........

I'll shut up now :p
It's ok, man. This car is SUPER EXCITING. It just makes us all CARazy :-)

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
OK the possibility of me being crazy is quite high :crazy:

But :) if you haven't already (humor me) and listen to the SVT performance video between 3:50 to 4:06.

I'm normally not prone to this type of delusion...............
Look at my post #558 on here: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108838&page=28
I'm pretty damn sure it's a TR-3160.

Take a look at the picture of the bottom of the transmission case from the teaser videos (#3, 15-17 seconds):
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...tang-5525.html

Now, look at this picture from the underbody of an ATS with TR-3160:
http://www.iveho.com/wp-content/uplo.../P10100074.jpg

Finally, compare to a TR-6060:
http://www.supraspeed.com/images/tr60601.jpg

Sponsored

FPC FTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
435i
2016 Mustang GT350 Performance Estimates: How Quick Is a Flat Snake?

Specific details on the new Mustang GT350 are few and far between. We know it’s Mustang-based (duh), has a six-speed manual, and has a flat-crank 5.2-liter V-8. Real engine specifications are still kept behind closed doors in Dearborn. This marketing-driven trickle of information isn’t by mistake, nor is it going to stop us from making a prediction of straight-line performance. This is, after all, the rejuvenation of a seriously historic nameplate and, as Ford says, the 5.2 is the most powerful naturally aspirated street engine it has ever made.

To make an educated guess—frankly, that’s what our estimates are—we need to know a number of specifications, but the bare minimum is power and mass. What little we know of the new 5.2-liter V-8 is the kind of stuff that makes us weak in the knees. For starters, the flat-crank mill sports a redline of 8200 rpm. That’s a botched downshift from matching Ferrari’s 4.5-liter V-8 in the 458 Italia. Ford makes the vague claim of “more than 500 horsepower” and peak torque of “above 400 pound-feet.” We’d bet the power will trump the Camaro Z/28’s 505, and it’ll likely be a round number. Don’t be surprised if the engine makes 525 horsepower. For the sake of these forthcoming estimates, though, let’s call it a conservative 510.

The curb weight of the GT350 is another story. Basing our curb-weight estimate on the regular, comparo- and 10Best-winning 3810-pound GT is a given. It’s a known quantity. However, there are a lot of changes that will change weight. For the first time ever, Ford is employing magnetorheological dampers in one of its cars. These dampers will add some weight, and while it won’t be much, they are definitely heavier (including all the supporting doodads) than the GT’s dampers. The extra mass is well worth the added benefit of continuously variable damping, which may improve launch traction and will almost certainly improve upon the ride/handling balance that the GT nearly masters. Also, the GT350’s front brakes measure 15.5 inches in diameter and the rears are just 0.5-inch smaller. These are not lightweight carbon-ceramic rotors, but rather iron friction surfaces with an aluminum hat. Either way, they are adding mass to the straight-line equation.

But there will certainly be some lighter materials in the mix. The 5.2-liter V-8’s flat-plane crank should save a few pounds. Ford confirmed there is no speed governor on the GT350, so the driveshaft has the potential to spin mega fast in overdrive. Maybe not the 200 mph Ford claimed for the old GT500, but 185 mph is within reach. There is a distinct possibility that the GT500’s carbon-fiber driveshaft is currently spinning underneath development mules, which will save a few pounds.

So, some bits will be heavier and others lighter. For our estimate, we’re giving the GT350 a 10-pound gift, but it’s essentially a wash with the manual GT at 3800 pounds.

Finally, how quick will this snake be? With 510 horsepower accelerating 3800 pounds of GT350, we think it’ll hit 60 mph in 3.9 seconds, 100 mph in 8.7 seconds, and break the quarter-mile tape in 12.1 seconds. That’s just a bit quicker than the best run we ever recorded for the Boss 302 (which was for an unpublished test). Now, these are conservative estimates. If the Ford manages to come in 100 pounds lighter at the curb, the GT350 could be a car that cracks into the 11-second range. However it shakes out, one thing is certain: You’ll be the first to know when we get the chance to quantify the GT350’s performance.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-mustang-gt350-performance-estimates-how-quick-is-a-flat-snake/

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I understand what you're saying, but listen to that segment.

Unless he made a mistake in how he worded his response there has to be another trans. in the mix.

i.e. even our manual vs manual shifts were faster. If there were no other trans. options the word even is not only unnecessary but very awkward & he doesn't strike me as someone who would make that kind of error.

On the other hand if there is a transmission we don't know about that shifts faster than both the 3160 and the 6060 the statement and wording make complete sense.

or I'm crazy :headbonk:
I got the same impression as you and I could swear there are a couple shifts I hear on the Nurburgring vid that sound like an automatic.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
attachment.jpg

Wow. The front in this shot looks incredible. So wiiiiiiide. I love it! I also love the Shelby on the splitter detail. Such a classy touch.

Looks like it'll be ramen for a while...
Do those Ford compasses drive anyone else crazy? When you are traveling North, West is to the left and East is to the right! Come on! Now I realize that a physical floating compass would look like the image, but with electronics you can put east and west where they really are.

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
Saw this pic on SVTP...I don't remember ever seeing one with the cobra emblem below the GT350...anyone have ideas of where this image may have come from or if it's new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Would that be an "R" behind the Cobra?

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Saw this pic on SVTP...I don't remember ever seeing one with the cobra emblem below the GT350...anyone have ideas of where this image may have come from or if it's new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh boy!!!!!! That looks awesome. Like the 2000 Cobra R.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/07/0b38fcf0c88355cbe021d990411d711b.jpg[IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Ooh, subtle. I like that. :)

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
In another interview I heard them say the "R" and no sound deading....I'm not sure how that is going to sound...I love engine sound and exhaust sound but...road noise and etc....I'm not sure about...Looks like I will be a cheese-ball and go the GT350 route and add the chin spoiler and rear wing....., I like all the things on the GT350 anyway, plus Im not going to track the car....I wanted the "R" for exclusivity only.... but not for 20K more, and more noise....
Sponsored