New seats installed today

bergdon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Katzkin covers have a nice quality and craftmanship. They are just on the pricey side.

OP
OP
Birddog 29

Birddog 29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yes. They are pricy but did my research and they were the best looking seats I could find. Others looked well not as form fitting and looked cheap

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
How am I just finding out about Katzkin? $1900 looks very reasonable to recover the seats, this is high up on my list now.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Its really not hard to do the seats yourself too, you can save a boatload of money. I’ve reupholstered the seats in both my Mustang and Silverado.

1624385045389.png

Sponsored

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Yes. They are pricy but did my research and they were the best looking seats I could find. Others looked well not as form fitting and looked cheap
Hey, it's worth it, they look great! The red panels really pop; when my cloth seats start to look tired, that's the direction I want to go (except yellow panels) :cool:

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Its really not hard to do the seats yourself too, you can save a boatload of money. I’ve reupholstered the seats in both my Mustang and Silverado.

1624385045389.png
I've been debating doing this to my car. The problem is I'm cheap and like working on my car. So would only consider if I could do the install myself. Any tips on how you've done it in the past? This is my 2nd car so down time is irrelevant. Only concern is a quality look and if I can accomplish that myself.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I've been debating doing this to my car. The problem is I'm cheap and like working on my car. So would only consider if I could do the install myself. Any tips on how you've done it in the past? This is my 2nd car so down time is irrelevant. Only concern is a quality look and if I can accomplish that myself.
I don't recall needing any special upholstery tools. The key is being VERY PATIENT, particularly with figuring out how to take the plastic trim and the old covers off.

Seats are easy to take out of the car. I put an old bedsheet on a folding table so the seat was at a good height and easy to move around.

There are usually small plastic clips molded into the seat foam that hold the cover against the foam, for example in places like where the side bolster meets the seat back and where the stitching in the seat back looks like it's stitched right into the foam. There are long plastic tabs on the inside of the covers that snap into these clips. Be very careful removing the tabs from the clips or you'll rip the clips out of the foam. I use a small screwdriver to gently pry them out.

The covers usually attach to the seat edges with a long barbed plastic tab that kind of folds in on itself to lock. You'll see what that means once you get into it. It can be a little tricky and frustrating getting these to unlock. Then you just peel the cover up and off the seat. Be careful around the side air bags, they have a cloth piece that kind of wraps up and through the seat.

Don't bother buying the two little leather seat belt shoulder straps - they are riveted to the seat, just keep your cloth ones.

Trick for the headrests: Pull out the two metal posts before attempting to remove and replace the cover.

It's been a couple years so that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Pretty sure this is all Mustang related although it was very similar on the Silverado.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I don't recall needing any special upholstery tools. The key is being VERY PATIENT, particularly with figuring out how to take the plastic trim and the old covers off.

Seats are easy to take out of the car. I put an old bedsheet on a folding table so the seat was at a good height and easy to move around.

There are usually small plastic clips molded into the seat foam that hold the cover against the foam, for example in places like where the side bolster meets the seat back and where the stitching in the seat back looks like it's stitched right into the foam. There are long plastic tabs on the inside of the covers that snap into these clips. Be very careful removing the tabs from the clips or you'll rip the clips out of the foam. I use a small screwdriver to gently pry them out.

The covers usually attach to the seat edges with a long barbed plastic tab that kind of folds in on itself to lock. You'll see what that means once you get into it. It can be a little tricky and frustrating getting these to unlock. Then you just peel the cover up and off the seat. Be careful around the side air bags, they have a cloth piece that kind of wraps up and through the seat.

Don't bother buying the two little leather seat belt shoulder straps - they are riveted to the seat, just keep your cloth ones.

Trick for the headrests: Pull out the two metal posts before attempting to remove and replace the cover.

It's been a couple years so that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Pretty sure this is all Mustang related although it was very similar on the Silverado.
Thank you for the tips. Makes me a little more confident. Getting close to the 4th of July so if any good sales going, I'll make a purchase and give it a go. I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube instructional videos out there too if needed.

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
There's a thread about doing this that has a link to an " infotainment" video showing a pro doing it. Thread might be called ," Installed Jack Roush interior " or something similar. I purchased the JR covers and started it this morning. At a muffler shop now getting wife's car worked on. Take your time and should be OK.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
Looks awesome! I'm gonna get Katzkin for mine too (but might wait till the spring time - might as well see how dem cloth seats feel over a Canadian winter first)

OP
OP
Birddog 29

Birddog 29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thank you all for the nice comments. Yes. I could have done it myself but I'm getting old and the thought of using hogring pliers just didn't appeal to me. I'll be 66 Friday

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra