Sponsored

New R to your spec at 5K over

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
This was a great deal for someone, thanks for offering it up!

I am somewhat surprised how many R's I see on ebay and Autotrader for well over MSRP with like 3,000 or even 5,000+ miles on them! Who the hell is buying a 2016 or even 2017 R with 6K miles on it right now for over MSRP? If they are, they are crazy IMO.

If I was looking at buying a 2016 that had 4K or so miles, almost 2 years of the warranty gone, no track attack included, and God only knows what else has happened to the car (dings, track time, improper tire changes, oil burning problems, whatever) I'd expect to pay a decent amount under (and if I was selling mine now I would expect under MSRP but it's not going up for sale anytime soon unless someone wants to give me $5K over? :)). I feel like I've got my moneys worth at the $5K over I paid for it when I bought it.

Congrats to the new future owner of this R and welcome to the Family!
Sponsored

Edward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Lightning
FYI, I missed out on an '18 MSRP deal by only a couple of hours. Was stuck in a meeting and couldn't make the deposit before someone else did. Interestingly, the MSRP offer was made by the dealer when I inquired via their website. No haggling was necessary.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
FYI, I missed out on an '18 MSRP deal by only a couple of hours. Was stuck in a meeting and couldn't make the deposit before someone else did. Interestingly, the MSRP offer was made by the dealer when I inquired via their website. No haggling was necessary.
Still to this day the elusive MSRP deal....... I pushed for it but MSRP is not common enough to flaunt it as regular. The R is special. Many R's sit in dealers showrooms for a long time due to a crazy ADM. Here you find a very reasonable ADM with options built to suit with a (hopefully) quick delivery. How bout that so cal?

In my communications with the buyer, I gather that he is very happy. He got the same deal as me and he will wait a hell of a lot less than me. Again, I'm glad it went to someone here.

Edward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Lightning
Still to this day the elusive MSRP deal......
Elusive is right! This happened just today and I'm still :headbonk: myself because I couldn't close the deal fast enough. I had pretty much decided to go with a non-R when I got the MSRP offer from this dealer.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Actually, the 1965 R models were race cars. Totally stripped. Shortened, plexiglass rear window, louvers removed, double size fuel tank with quick fill, uprated engine, etc. The 1965 street cars were, IMHO (having owned one), very much like our current R cars - especially the base cars, as you point out. With the R, Ford really did capture the essence of the first year GT350.
First of all congratulations on having owned an original '65 GT350 as that has always been my favorite Mustang from day one and I should have pulled the trigger when I had a chance to buy a one back in 1993.

I am sure that you must miss that car!

A very good car buddy of mine had 2 '65's in his garage (5S039 & 5S493) and offered me these cars on two different occasions and past on them each time with that being the Fall of 1993.

I really wanted a Venice built car therefore #39 was the one and only had to come up with $65,000 Canadian at the time and it would have been mine. After riding in #039 I had to have the car but the timing was not right from a financial situation and have regretted having not purchasing that car ever since.

BTW, I met the owner of #022 car this past weekend and what a great guy with lots of cool stories about his car as he has owned it now for just over 50 years.

With respect to the R models I am very familiar with them as have spent time with the owner of #002 which is the first competition R and of course was present in the room when the Charlie Kemp car went for $985,000 at Amelia Island a few years back.

Your point is well taken about the original R's being full race cars whereas the new generation Base R models are both a street and track car.

Having said that I have to give cudo's to Ford for actually coming up with an R model that could actually be ordered without sound deadner, backup camera, radios, AC and a tire sealant kit in the trunk.

:cheers:

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It's a very small percentage of people that want the base model.. to me it's more of a novelty than anything else, as most that own one will never realize the performance gain of not having a radio and A/C. I respect that because I will probably never even realize the full potential of my R with the electronics package. :D

I don't see anyone in Florida wanting one without A/C regardless of rarity. To me, I'd be more interested in the very low mileage/well kept R if I was a future buyer over the base option. Even the best Ferrari track focused cars, such as the Scuderia and Challenge Stradale, have A/C. Ferrari makes up the weight with Carbon Fiber, aluminum floorpans, and other things that make more sense then giving up the ability to stay comfortable while driving. :)
Not to mention the WEC require's air conditioning in all endurance race cars.. so even full on race cars have a/c now. :)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Not to mention the WEC require's air conditioning in all endurance race cars.. so even full on race cars have a/c now. :)
Yea, that's it, yea, I own endurance cars..... :ninja:

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I recall that it's only required if they can't keep interior temperature below a certain level at some pre-specified ambient outside temp. I don't recall the formula, but I think that most of the teams running prototype coupes that are fully closed cars - or those running GT cars with windows closed - are either required to have A/C or have done so because they've been able to design the systems to have less of a parasitic loss than running with the windows open.

If I remember correctly, just a few years ago the Corvette team at LeMans was seeing interior temps in their cars in the 140 degree range. Even with cool-suit technology and fresh air pumps and hydration systems, that's hot!!!

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I recall that it's only required if they can't keep interior temperature below a certain level at some pre-specified ambient outside temp. I don't recall the formula, but I think that most of the teams running prototype coupes that are fully closed cars - or those running GT cars with windows closed - are either required to have A/C or have done so because they've been able to design the systems to have less of a parasitic loss than running with the windows open.

If I remember correctly, just a few years ago the Corvette team at LeMans was seeing interior temps in their cars in the 140 degree range. Even with cool-suit technology and fresh air pumps and hydration systems, that's hot!!!
The temp limits them on driving stint length, I believe it's 90 degrees.. which is gonna be really easy to reach in a race car. There are no longer open cockpit cars in WEC, 2016 marked the end of that. Even the gt4 m4 bmw has air conditioning, I'm not sure if the mustang gt4 does, it likely would stop working if it did anyhow. :)

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure if the mustang gt4 does, it likely would stop working if it did anyhow. :)
And that, gentlemen, is a prime reason for a base R. :shrug:

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or as we call it in Florida, "Comfort Delete Option".
Careful, man, you're gonna end up with that pink bow on the switch. ;)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)