Sponsored

New Mustang GT PP1 or New BMW M4 with Competition Package?

Mustang GT PP1 or BMW M4

• GT

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • M4

Votes: 63 43.8%

• Total voters

Takeshi

Threads
Reaction score
United States : Cali land of the $1 Gas Tax
First Name
Alias: Takeshi
Vehicle(s)
2019 Liquid Shadow 401A PP1 MagneRide Borla ATAK
IF this was the old M4 2016-2020 then the GT PP1. However, since we're talking the new 2021+ M4 with the bucktooth and platform change M4 for sure it's gonna be a new beast changing the game competition always good.

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
Shifts as fast as a twin clutch? Definitely not!
I have a My20 auto GT and there is a delay when you hit the paddle. The twin clutch gear changes are almost instant. There is a reason why most of the worlds high performance cars run a twin clutch setup.
I’m speaking strictly performance not trying to diy fix your tranny lol
Don’t get me wrong the A10 is not bad at all but coming from a twin clutch into this you can definitely feel the difference.
Try getting it tuned.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
You unknowingly saved an old wealthy oil baron from choking on French fries and he offers you one or the other and you have to keep whichever one you pick for 5 years.
Mustang, I'm not a poser and I'd rather have an NA V8 than a TT I6 to build off of, plus while asinine, MyColor over the now white lit speedometer

Now to find a manual vert

Last edited:

Dhruvchadha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dhruv
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Volvo XC 60
Driving impressions and possibly a question...

Thanks to the upside down car market, I have been tempted to let go of my 1.5 year old, 15K miles Mini Countryman S with JCW pack (mild JCW not the full on works!!). And that has given me the opportunity to find a new set of wheels. Having owned a Mustang V6 in the past, I always had this soft corner so amongst others Mustang GT Premium has been the "standard bearer" of sorts. I have done multiple Test Drives of GT Premium, HPP, Mach 1 and the other contestants in the space, including Audi RS3 and S5, BMW M440i and M340i, M3, MB AMG 43, Kia Stinger GT2, Lexus IS 350F, RCF V8, Camaro 2SS, Challenger Hemi and maybe a couple of more forgettable ones. If I were to take a very objective view and am honest with myself, I think Mustng GT is right about in the middle or so...here is a mixed bag of impressions -

1. GT and the rest of the American Muscle lacks the practicailty of car...while it has 4 seats, practically you cannot fit more than 3 and definitely not for a 300 mile+ ride. So definitely not a touring car unless its just two people.
2. Lack of AWD means that all this power is useless anywhere between 1-4 months a year depending on where you live...in fact even in DFW, we do see our fair share of sub 40F evenings and mornings, so that means you have to rotate out your shoes twice a year. And if you ever wanted to drive up to CO, WY, Dakotas, MT et al you are potentially taking chances unless the country is under a heat advisory.
3. Where a GT shines is definitely the rumble..however in balance that feels like buying a Lamborghini for HD Radio
4. And finally the price. In an upside down market like current, I have offers for GT Premium loaded vs AWD M340i, with comparable features and just 7K apart. And I am sure if I were to wait till BMW's model year change that starts in 4 months that difference will shrink to nearly half that.

Having said all this, it makes absolute sense to not entertain the idea of a GT Premium. But. There is always a But. Why is it that even with all this, every time I want to pull the trigger on M340i, it feels like I am going to miss the V8 rumble...why? Any one here who would like to share their perspective and help me make a decision :))

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Driving impressions and possibly a question...

Thanks to the upside down car market, I have been tempted to let go of my 1.5 year old, 15K miles Mini Countryman S with JCW pack (mild JCW not the full on works!!). And that has given me the opportunity to find a new set of wheels. Having owned a Mustang V6 in the past, I always had this soft corner so amongst others Mustang GT Premium has been the "standard bearer" of sorts. I have done multiple Test Drives of GT Premium, HPP, Mach 1 and the other contestants in the space, including Audi RS3 and S5, BMW M440i and M340i, M3, MB AMG 43, Kia Stinger GT2, Lexus IS 350F, RCF V8, Camaro 2SS, Challenger Hemi and maybe a couple of more forgettable ones. If I were to take a very objective view and am honest with myself, I think Mustng GT is right about in the middle or so...here is a mixed bag of impressions -

1. GT and the rest of the American Muscle lacks the practicailty of car...while it has 4 seats, practically you cannot fit more than 3 and definitely not for a 300 mile+ ride. So definitely not a touring car unless its just two people.
2. Lack of AWD means that all this power is useless anywhere between 1-4 months a year depending on where you live...in fact even in DFW, we do see our fair share of sub 40F evenings and mornings, so that means you have to rotate out your shoes twice a year. And if you ever wanted to drive up to CO, WY, Dakotas, MT et al you are potentially taking chances unless the country is under a heat advisory.
3. Where a GT shines is definitely the rumble..however in balance that feels like buying a Lamborghini for HD Radio
4. And finally the price. In an upside down market like current, I have offers for GT Premium loaded vs AWD M340i, with comparable features and just 7K apart. And I am sure if I were to wait till BMW's model year change that starts in 4 months that difference will shrink to nearly half that.

Having said all this, it makes absolute sense to not entertain the idea of a GT Premium. But. There is always a But. Why is it that even with all this, every time I want to pull the trigger on M340i, it feels like I am going to miss the V8 rumble...why? Any one here who would like to share their perspective and help me make a decision :))
I daily mine in mountain country 8 months of the year with little issue. The traction control systems on the newer cars + modern tires do quite well in all conditions as long as you don't drive like a fool. V8 rumble is always fun, even when you can't use the full performance of the car. Cars that don't sound good are kind of a deal breaker for me personally given that electric noiseless cars are already around the corner.

Practicality wise it excels if you're single or have a GF/wife. I comfortably did a camping trip with it with the car loaded with supplies and equipment for two. No issues, and it's so good at eating up highway miles in comfort as well.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I say GT... but... I kinda dig the M4 in the light blue go figure right? but I dont trust bmw reliability/repair/maitenance cost. I just googled it, the laguna seca blue m4 is fuking beautiful.

id drive it. but I cannot afford it. no way in hell could I ever.

2020-BMW-M4-Edition-M-Heritage-28.jpg

2020-BMW-M4-M-Heritage-Edition-1.jpg

BMW-M4-Edition-M-Heritage-Coupe-laguna-seca-28.jpg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I say GT... but... I kinda dig the M4 in the light blue go figure right? but I dont trust bmw reliability/repair/maitenance cost. I just googled it, the laguna seca blue m4 is fuking beautiful.

id drive it. but I cannot afford it. no way in hell could I ever.

2020-BMW-M4-Edition-M-Heritage-28.jpg

2020-BMW-M4-M-Heritage-Edition-1.jpg

BMW-M4-Edition-M-Heritage-Coupe-laguna-seca-28.jpg
They are definitely beautiful, but it's interesting just how similar it drives to an A10 GT. Obviously it has a much nicer interior and luxury features, but people will mostly ignore you on the road. GT has a much better road presence for normal people.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do they come in manuals? ... if not. would not trade my manual EB for it. as im just dumb with how I wouldn't give it up for another car thats nicer.

but man its pretty
They are definitely beautiful, but it's interesting just how similar it drives to an A10 GT. Obviously it has a much nicer interior and luxury features, but people will mostly ignore you on the road. GT has a much better road presence for normal people.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The M4 is in a whole other league, it's not even close
In what exactly? Straight line peformance is a wash which is what most people care about. Obviously it's better quality, but I'd hope so for that price tag. Handling wise it's really not that much better. It's still heavy. If you value handling at that price you'd be much better off with a Cayman GTS.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
In what exactly? Straight line peformance is a wash which is what most people care about. Obviously it's better quality, but I'd hope so for that price tag. Handling wise it's really not that much better. It's still heavy. If you value handling at that price you'd be much better off with a Cayman GTS.
The M4 responds much better to bolt ons, interior is vastly better, build quality in general is better. The DCT destroys the 10 speed in every area. I think the M4 looks better too but that's subjective

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The M4 is in a whole other league, it's not even close

This...and I own a Mustang but I owned M cars as well.

I have to admit went to South Bay BMW and they had a new Yellow G82 M4, I have to admit I liked it, that huge shit eating grill actually works the way the hood is fashioned. YMMV

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
These are NOT DCT they are ZF 8 speeds and stock vs stock absolutely destroy a PP1 A10 car.

get one in black if you cant handle the grill.

cobb-3movie-180221-1184-1615300284.jpg

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Id punt my 20 PP1 A10 for this in a heartbeat. Ive seen these in person now and the color makes or breaks that front end.

Yes M3>M4 because Id like a useable backseat too.

BMW-M3_Sedan_Competition-2021-1600-01.jpg
Sponsored