Sponsored

New Mustang GT PP1 or New BMW M4 with Competition Package?

Mustang GT PP1 or BMW M4

• GT

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • M4

Votes: 63 43.8%

• Total voters

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
These are NOT DCT they are ZF 8 speeds and stock vs stock absolutely destroy a PP1 A10 car.

get one in black if you cant handle the grill.

cobb-3movie-180221-1184-1615300284.jpg
No it doesn't, lol. Where does this come from? Yes, it's a factory turbo car which means you can turn up the wick, but stock for stock an M4 will get pulled on by an A10 GT. It has a slower 0-60 and 1/4 time. So where's the destruction? I'm not even saying this as a BMW hater, because I quite like their cars. But other than the quality angle they're very similar vehicles in performance.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The M4 responds much better to bolt ons, interior is vastly better, build quality in general is better. The DCT destroys the 10 speed in every area. I think the M4 looks better too but that's subjective
That's fair, I don't disagree with any of those points. I just think that stock they are pretty comparable vehicles in the arena of performance and nothing else

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'd go M3 if I were in your shoes.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
No it doesn't, lol. Where does this come from? Yes, it's a factory turbo car which means you can turn up the wick, but stock for stock an M4 will get pulled on by an A10 GT. It has a slower 0-60 and 1/4 time. So where's the destruction? I'm not even saying this as a BMW hater, because I quite like their cars. But other than the quality angle they're very similar vehicles in performance.
LOL I suggest you do some research. There are a bunch of dyno vids of the 21 M3/M4 on youtube already they dyno well and are under rated hp #s

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/m4

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
LOL wait until the AWD version comes too.

I mean it damn near runs 10s stock. Itll be simple to get it in the 10s. Even easier than a 18+ A10 car.......

Screenshot_20210413-102306_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210413-102317_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Driving impressions and possibly a question...

Thanks to the upside down car market, I have been tempted to let go of my 1.5 year old, 15K miles Mini Countryman S with JCW pack (mild JCW not the full on works!!). And that has given me the opportunity to find a new set of wheels. Having owned a Mustang V6 in the past, I always had this soft corner so amongst others Mustang GT Premium has been the "standard bearer" of sorts. I have done multiple Test Drives of GT Premium, HPP, Mach 1 and the other contestants in the space, including Audi RS3 and S5, BMW M440i and M340i, M3, MB AMG 43, Kia Stinger GT2, Lexus IS 350F, RCF V8, Camaro 2SS, Challenger Hemi and maybe a couple of more forgettable ones. If I were to take a very objective view and am honest with myself, I think Mustng GT is right about in the middle or so...here is a mixed bag of impressions -

1. GT and the rest of the American Muscle lacks the practicailty of car...while it has 4 seats, practically you cannot fit more than 3 and definitely not for a 300 mile+ ride. So definitely not a touring car unless its just two people.
2. Lack of AWD means that all this power is useless anywhere between 1-4 months a year depending on where you live...in fact even in DFW, we do see our fair share of sub 40F evenings and mornings, so that means you have to rotate out your shoes twice a year. And if you ever wanted to drive up to CO, WY, Dakotas, MT et al you are potentially taking chances unless the country is under a heat advisory.
3. Where a GT shines is definitely the rumble..however in balance that feels like buying a Lamborghini for HD Radio
4. And finally the price. In an upside down market like current, I have offers for GT Premium loaded vs AWD M340i, with comparable features and just 7K apart. And I am sure if I were to wait till BMW's model year change that starts in 4 months that difference will shrink to nearly half that.

Having said all this, it makes absolute sense to not entertain the idea of a GT Premium. But. There is always a But. Why is it that even with all this, every time I want to pull the trigger on M340i, it feels like I am going to miss the V8 rumble...why? Any one here who would like to share their perspective and help me make a decision :))
If you care about having a back seat the Mustang is not for you.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1

I mean it damn near runs 10s stock. Itll be simple to get it in the 10s. Even easier than a 18+ A10 car.......

Well if you were to spend 75K total in the Mustang (which I have almost done myself) you can replace the entire suspension with better parts (I did this and it makes a world of difference) I have no PP1 parts left on it almost. AND you can add turbos or even supercharge that V8 which puts it in another power class all together at 700+ horsepower. So the mustang is substantially cheaper than a "Bring My Wallet" M series and there is a plethora of aftermarket parts for it where as only 2 companies in the world make parts for a BMW and they are pricey. I also hope you like leaking power steering fluid, apparently that is just "normal" on a BMW. I have owned one that was brand new and never again... I can work on my Mustang in the garage all day and night no problem, the BMW needs "special" everything.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
LOL I suggest you do some research. There are a bunch of dyno vids of the 21 M3/M4 on youtube already they dyno well and are under rated hp #s

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/m4

Yeah I did see that, but we're not talking about the competition model now are we? I didn't realize the 2021 refresh came with a power bump from 425HP to 479, so I'm wrong about it being slower. That used to be the case, ever since the A10 GT was released. So it's just now been beaten, and not by a huge margin either. I still don't see any "destruction" in performance metrics no matter how much I searched. One dude was saying he got an 11.6 which is pretty good for street tires, you'd need a radial to match that with a GT. I'm sure an AWD version will have better ET's, but will probably be worse at everything else due to the added weight.

I dunno, I was trying to offer an argument for the value of the Mustang. Obviously the M4 is an objectively better car in every way, but it damn well better be for $75K.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Yes, you can get them in manual. Like you said above, they can be dang expensive. I've been down that road a few times. On the other hand, they are easy to tune (Dinan and others)and make a whole lot more horsepower.

Do they come in manuals? ... if not. would not trade my manual EB for it. as im just dumb with how I wouldn't give it up for another car thats nicer.

but man its pretty

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I never thought I would care for yellow but in person, this car looks great.

For those that don't like the grill. Here is a straight-on pic to make your day; again in person, liked it a lot better.

20210326_161015.jpg

20210326_161036.jpg

20210326_161003.jpg

Sponsored

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Yes, you can get them in manual. Like you said above, they can be dang expensive. I've been down that road a few times. On the other hand, they are easy to tune (Dinan and others)and make a whole lot more horsepower.
Does said tuning void your warranty? I would suspect it does and if so that would terrify me knowing it is a BMW.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Dinan tuning does not void your warranty. The tuning is actually conducted at BMW dealerships that have authorized Dinan mechanics.

I was lucky in all three of the M series BMWs that I owned and never had to pay any repairs out of pocket. With that having been said, the maintenance is still expensive, IF you don't include the optional maintenance plans when buying the car.

Does said tuning void your warranty? I would suspect it does and if so that would terrify me knowing it is a BMW.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Id punt my 20 PP1 A10 for this in a heartbeat. Ive seen these in person now and the color makes or breaks that front end.

Yes M3>M4 because Id like a useable backseat too.

BMW-M3_Sedan_Competition-2021-1600-01.jpg

The M4s back seat is totally usable. In my E92 I have had people who were 6'1" tall in the back. The newer G82 is even bigger. The Yellow M4 is exactly the same car I went to go see. Stickers for $80k.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I did see that, but we're not talking about the competition model now are we? I didn't realize the 2021 refresh came with a power bump from 425HP to 479, so I'm wrong about it being slower. That used to be the case, ever since the A10 GT was released. So it's just now been beaten, and not by a huge margin either. I still don't see any "destruction" in performance metrics no matter how much I searched. One dude was saying he got an 11.6 which is pretty good for street tires, you'd need a radial to match that with a GT. I'm sure an AWD version will have better ET's, but will probably be worse at everything else due to the added weight.

I dunno, I was trying to offer an argument for the value of the Mustang. Obviously the M4 is an objectively better car in every way, but it damn well better be for $75K.
75k isnt even that bad when people happily pay 60k for a Mach 1 thats lame package car.

You are delusional if you dont think a M3/M4 will beat a PP1 PP2 (no longer exists) or a Mach 1 in EVERY measurable catagory.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I agree, even though I didn't really have anyone in the back seats. Did you think the yellow looks better in person? I surely did.

The M4s back seat is totally usable. In my E92 I have had people who were 6'1" tall in the back. The newer G82 is even bigger. The Yellow M4 is exactly the same car I went to go see. Stickers for $80k.
Sponsored