New Gt350r Owner ! $57,000 CarMax Wow!

GTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Learn to read...first step. As I said already I drove the damned thing. this post is the closest to explaining anything at all but still does address handling.

You absolutely can upgrade the brakes on a GT, even if it is aftermarket, which has been my point.

Adding a supercharger totally makes up for the weight with the power or they wouldnt do it on the GT500...right?

The WEIGHT difference between a GT and a GT350 is 55 pounds, so I am pretty sure that is not making or breaking your day...55 pounds....that is a half tank of gas....or a chubby guy vs a skinny guy. It is around 1% of the weight of the vehicle!!!

Stock to stock the difference in the 1/4 mile is .3 seconds BEFORE you supercharge the GT.
The newer version of the Getrag has not been a huge problem for most and even if it were, is it worth 10K more?

so that one makes no sense to me. But you obviously feel like a tough guy and feel like you have adequately pushed me around and are a know it all, so have a nice day. I will post where I see fit and if you don't like it, block me.
I think it really comes down to how you intend to use the car.

There is a warranty for the Roush/FP supercharger and while your trans won’t be as good as the GT350’s, it should be alright. I have no idea if they are more stout and reliable or still having issues which an S/C would only exacerbate. An S/C GT would be great for a street car or drag car and as you mention 1/4 mile times, this could be an ideal setup for yourself.

If you intend to do HPDEs you will want the N/A motor and factory equipped coolers found on the GT350/GT350R. That S/Ced GT you highlight will be heat soaking or you will be dropping a lot of time and money on fitting or relocating things in the engine bay to make room for the necessary coolers. Also, this will add a lot of weight on the front which isn’t ideal.

I have read reviews where some folks who respect the GT500, but don’t like the driving dynamics, how that 400+ lbs it has on the GT350, impacts the driving experience and prefer the NA motor. Also, you cannot argue that the GT350 sound is just special. Similar to the Porsche GT3 RS vs GT2 RS.

Brakes and other items you have referenced would be then not covered by the warranty you desire.

I think a lot of it is also personal preference. The old Boss 302 matched the e92 M3, but was described as a blunt instrument vs a scalpel. Both accomplished the same lap times, but went about it differently. I think that is what you’re running up against here. Not right or wrong, just different.

I could S/C or TT my GT350, but I value the simplicity of the NA motor and being able to run full sessions without overheating or dealing with other complications. I am focusing on suspension, weight reduction, and aero.

Another couple factors are aero and Recaros, although to your point, that is rather easily added.

We could get into value and depreciation of a modified GT vs a stock Shelby and while part of some folks’ decision making process, is outside the scope of this conversation. Something to be cognizant of when speaking with some GT350 owners though.

Hopefully this gives you some insight as to why folks may choose an older Shelby GT350 over a newer S/C GT. I will say an S/C GT never entered my thought process as it didn’t meet the goals I have for the car and wasn’t “special” to me.
Sponsored

Don1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT 500 and 2003 GT Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I was willing to give you the benefit of doubt, but then I looked at your sig, and the...
OMG I've been doing this sig thing all wrong :crackup:

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
I was willing to give you the benefit of doubt, but then I looked at your sig, and the...

“2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label”

and oh the irony ironies...a specialty mustang owner calling a specialty mustang owner names and claiming how much less he paid than the OTHER specialty mustangs 😂
I was the one being attacked. I was just counter punching. The Saleen I drive is hardly specialty. A few extra HP, some lowering springs, different front/rear bumpers, a wing and some wheels. Paid less than a premium package. But nice try. Mine was less than 50k

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I was the one being attacked. I was just counter punching. The Saleen I drive is hardly specialty. A few extra HP, some lowering springs, different front/rear bumpers, a wing and some wheels. Paid less than a premium package. But nice try. Mine was less than 50k
hey so seriously, yes it is special. you can't just add aftermarket parts and get the visceral experience of the 5.2 voodoo. it's the cumulative experience of 8250 rpm, flat plane crank, the 6-speed manual, the exhaust, the gurgles on decel, the way you really feel at-one with the machine, and yes, even all the thumbs ups from those who can appreciate the car.

true story: i bought some car stuff from a guy locally. what did he have in his garage? 2 cars: a GT350R and a GT2RS. that tells you a lot. if you go to rennlist, you'll find how much respect the gt350/r has with a lot of porsche guys. it's interesting that quite a few of these guys own both gt350's and gt3's or gt3rs's. in no way do i want to be snobby or look down on the regular 5.0 GT (they're fast and you can make them go very fast, we all know that), but you dont find any guys at rennlist adding a 5.0 GT to their garage. they get the gt350.

when you get a chance, watch this video:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I’ve never understood people with Gt’s that try and use the argument you did in regard to a 350. Makes zero sense to me. I have a premium Gt Vert 6 speed with a full steeda suspension. Also have a regular 350, and a 350R. The Gt is a great car, but in no way does it compare to my regular 350, and is even further away from the r. What makes the argument even more pointless is trying to have a dialogue or conversation about something you know zero about because you simply havent experienced it. You should take your Saleen to a local track event and see how it fares. You’ll figure out real quick what the limitations are on that car. That won’t be the case with a 350.

I just wanted to thank you paranoid Shelby owners who paid for the Shelby name. I was really bored at work today and you helped me pass the time. I really don't care what car you drive at all, it is just fun to have a good debate from time to time. I don't take it personally like many of you. Have a good night. I will enjoy driving home from work in my car that cost 20K less than yours and is essentially the same car. Oh...and mine is paid for so there is that too.

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I just wanted to thank you paranoid Shelby owners who paid for the Shelby name. I was really bored at work today and you helped me pass the time. I really don't care what car you drive at all, it is just fun to have a good debate from time to time. I don't take it personally like many of you. Have a good night. I will enjoy driving home from work in my car that cost 20K less than yours and is essentially the same car. Oh...and mine is paid for so there is that too.
Based on your second sentence it is obvious that you are nothing more than a troll and in addition you have absolutely no comprehension, knowledge or experience with anything to do with the 2 and 4 seat GT350/R's.

As far as having your Mustang GT all paid for, that is such a huge accomplishment and we are so happy for you!! :facepalm:

Wishing you a great night as well!! :wink:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Understood. I am not talking about a bone stock GT, I was talking about the GT Premium with the performance packages and magnaride.
Ahhh... and let’s see - a GTPP with mag option and no mods is just that... “bone stock”.

Just clearing that up for you.

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Ahhh... and let’s see - a GTPP with mag option and no mods is just that... “bone stock”.

Just clearing that up for you.
I said GT Premium with PP and Mag...just saying

Sponsored

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Based on your second sentence it is obvious that you are nothing more than a troll and in addition you have absolutely no comprehension, knowledge or experience with anything to do with the 2 and 4 seat GT350/R's.

As far as having your Mustang GT all paid for, that is such a huge accomplishment and we are so happy for you!! :facepalm:

Wishing you a great night as well!! :wink:
Actually genius, I became a troll in this posting because of all the negative comments made by people like you. Some on here are so touchy about their cars that even someone who is just interested in the topic and asks a question gets attacked or ridiculed because they would DARE question the thought process of the awesome GT350 owner. Fact is, there are other options out there like the Roush and the Saleen black label that are damned good cars without the Shelby name and are viable options as well as the GT bone stock or otherwise that can be modified to handle and perform as good or better than the Shelby GT350. I asked the original question about that car because I, as I have admitted several times, do not have the driving ability to get out of the GT OR the GT350 what they can do and I was truly asking what I am missing and why the GT350 is worth the premium over a modified car. After all the attempts at humiliating me, talking down to me like you just did and dismissing me, not one person came up with any real, tangible facts that explain the value of the GT 350 over the modified GT. So maybe it is just time to admit it is the name SHELBY that warrants to premium money...and that is ABSOLUTELY OK AND LOGICAL to me because down the line the value will be there for the Shelby vs the GT, I get that. But everyone and anyone who asks a question about a GT350 is not an idiot, troll etc. Maybe you should look inward at your own insecurity before insulting others. Finally, being financially secure is not something that you should insult someone for. It takes a lot of commitment and sacrificing over the years to get there. Maybe if I was less responsible with my money I would have purchased a GT500 which is an incredibly special car. But....as I said, my driving ability would be far exceeded so it is not a good value FOR ME.

GTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Actually genius, I became a troll in this posting because of all the negative comments made by people like you. Some on here are so touchy about their cars that even someone who is just interested in the topic and asks a question gets attacked or ridiculed because they would DARE question the thought process of the awesome GT350 owner. Fact is, there are other options out there like the Roush and the Saleen black label that are damned good cars without the Shelby name and are viable options as well as the GT bone stock or otherwise that can be modified to handle and perform as good or better than the Shelby GT350. I asked the original question about that car because I, as I have admitted several times, do not have the driving ability to get out of the GT OR the GT350 what they can do and I was truly asking what I am missing and why the GT350 is worth the premium over a modified car. After all the attempts at humiliating me, talking down to me like you just did and dismissing me, not one person came up with any real, tangible facts that explain the value of the GT 350 over the modified GT. So maybe it is just time to admit it is the name SHELBY that warrants to premium money...and that is ABSOLUTELY OK AND LOGICAL to me because down the line the value will be there for the Shelby vs the GT, I get that. But everyone and anyone who asks a question about a GT350 is not an idiot, troll etc. Maybe you should look inward at your own insecurity before insulting others. Finally, being financially secure is not something that you should insult someone for. It takes a lot of commitment and sacrificing over the years to get there. Maybe if I was less responsible with my money I would have purchased a GT500 which is an incredibly special car. But....as I said, my driving ability would be far exceeded so it is not a good value FOR ME.
I believe my original post in this thread has some solid points and facts that support the decision to purchase a GT350 over a modified GT. The response was a kind one and not calling you a troll or anything else because I am game to have a real conversation about how the GT350 is better than a GT modified or otherwise for my use case.

I would actually be interested in your response.

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I’ve never understood people with Gt’s that try and use the argument you did in regard to a 350. Makes zero sense to me. I have a premium Gt Vert 6 speed with a full steeda suspension. Also have a regular 350, and a 350R. The Gt is a great car, but in no way does it compare to my regular 350, and is even further away from the r. What makes the argument even more pointless is trying to have a dialogue or conversation about something you know zero about because you simply havent experienced it. You should take your Saleen to a local track event and see how it fares. You’ll figure out real quick what the limitations are on that car. That won’t be the case with a 350.
At no point did I compare a regular unmodified GT or my car to the GT350....period. If you read the whole thread you would see that I was questioning the value proposition of taking a GT Premium with PP and Magnaride and modifying it with a supercharger and handling upgrades to rival the performance of the GT350 for far less money. That was my question. It was NOT in the beginning a troll on the GT350 at all. But again, the insecurity of GT350 owners who really want to be GT500 owners that took it to a bad place.

GTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
At no point did I compare a regular unmodified GT or my car to the GT350....period. If you read the whole thread you would see that I was questioning the value proposition of taking a GT Premium with PP and Magnaride and modifying it with a supercharger and handling upgrades to rival the performance of the GT350 for far less money. That was my question. It was NOT in the beginning a troll on the GT350 at all. But again, the insecurity of GT350 owners who really want to be GT500 owners that took it to a bad place.
Don’t make assumptions.

Not all GT350 owners want to be GT500 owners. Great car which I respect, but I prefer N/A for responsiveness and lack of heat soak, balance of the car, and traditional manual trans.

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I believe my original post in this thread has some solid points and facts that support the decision to purchase a GT350 over a modified GT. The response was a kind one and not calling you a troll or anything else because I am game to have a real conversation about how the GT350 is better than a GT modified or otherwise for my use case.

I would actually be interested in your response.
If I lumped you in with all those people who were attacking and dismissing I apologize. I truly do not know the correct answer on what would be better. I was truly trying to have a discussion about it but then was hit with all the ridicule, dismissing and attacks and to be honest got defensive and hit back. I love these cars and wanted to have a true discussion of the differences. That is all. AGAIN, I APOLOGIZE IF I INSULTED YOU IN ONE OF MY DEFENSIVE POSTS.
Sponsored