Sponsored

New facelift as 18 not well received

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I bow to your opinion - so much more valid than mine. I see you have a C7 Z06. I had a C6 Z51, and if I had bought a C7 it would also have been a similar spec. 430-odd BHP versus 460 BHP, similar weight, similar aerodynamics, similar suspension, etc. Claimed acceleration within tenths-of-a-second, similar top speed. Tell me what I missed...
Well, seeing as you're wrong on all accounts with the specs, I guess I don't need to elaborate. The C7 is miles ahead of the C6 in everything you posted. And that's not even mentioning the build quality, materials used, and overall comfort. The performance aspects alone aren't even comparable and are far from "similar". But I guess that all of those performance drivers, professional reviewers/testers, etc that you can easily find online are wrong when they say that the C7 is the best handling Corvette by far. Btw, I had a C6 GS that I loved. There is no comparison with how much better my Z06 performs in every aspect when compared to that car. My C6 GS was fun and great, my C7 Z06 is stellar and amazing. If you haven't driven one, your opinion is pretty moot, as ANYONE who has owned a C6 then tested a C7/upgraded to a C7 will be saying the exact same thing that I am. Not bashing the C6, but saying that the C7 is not a real upgrade is just delusional.
Sponsored

Dan243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The 18s are perfect!

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
I really thought the 15to 17 was perfect ..it took me a bit to appreciate the 18 and 19 styling but it really is just as nice. Thanks to aftermarket support

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
2015-17 style upgraded with LED bulbs and the 18-19 LED turnsignal/fog lights = BEST.

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
I personally think the 15-17 has more of that 1969 look. Aside from the upward swoop of the headlights on the outward corners, the rest of the fascia has a cleaner look, and the lower portion has that shape of the '69's lower grill versus whatever is going on with the '18+. To me, the 15-17 mixes a lot of the 60s greatest styling cues, but perhaps most prominent is the 1969 influences on the exterior (the interior is pretty obviously '67 inspired).

But, to expect modern cars to be direct emulations of their ancestors is a tall order. I think the '18 facelift is a direct response to that, and actually borrows more from the current Ford GT than looking to the past. When I say the '18+ isn't to my preference, it doesn't mean I dislike it- it just means I prefer the older front end precisely because its more mindful of its retro cues versus the more modern, aggressive facelifted version. I just prefer cleaner lines, even if its not the more aggressive version possible. I can still see why people like the '18 over the '15, though.

But its pretty amazing that after two years I'm still noticing new details on my car. Yesterday, I was looking downward towards my car from a more elevated position and I realized that the character lines beneath the headlights perfectly follow the bottom edge of the grille, creating excellent visual continuity. Not long before that, I realized that the "frame" around the taillight area is the exact same shape as the front grille, only flipped upside down. Even the quarter windows mimic the theme of the shape of the grille. Most of these ideas carried over to the '18, thankfully. Its just a well-designed car with an incredible amount of small detail poured into it that successfully borrows from the past while looking modern. That's an incredibly hard feat to pull off on a car that has 50 years of design cues to pull from.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
The A-10 is what finally got me to test drive the s550. Looks wise I prefer the 13/14 s197 body style but the overall performance of the 18/19 has almost sold me.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I know this sounds stupid but the 18+ models look 110% better without the front pony. Something about the big chrome pony in the front just throws a wet blanket on it for me. Every 18+ I've seen with a blank front grill has looked awesome to me.
Good point- I’m looking forward to blacking mine out.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I think people are too fast with the "low sales? Must be the new design" conclusion. If I remember correctly the base GT price was increased by nearly $3000 and you got new options like magnetic ride and active exhaust that adds a lot on top too. That is a lot of money and can definitely be the difference between Buying or not.

For the changed bumper, I already rendered the new frontend when the first mule was spotted. This bullitt mule confirms my guesses on the new frontend.

Sponsored
OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I think people are too fast with the "low sales? Must be the new design" conclusion. If I remember correctly the base GT price was increased by nearly $3000 and you got new options like magnetic ride and active exhaust that adds a lot on top too. That is a lot of money and can definitely be the difference between Buying or not.

For the changed bumper, I already rendered the new frontend when the first mule was spotted. This bullitt mule confirms my guesses on the new frontend.
I don't think the new design point holds up (that people immediately dislike new designs), there are many new designs people appreciate. Plus your rendered front end looks much better, which is a new design! I think the revsied front end is of course just one factor, the poor reviews of the A10 have probably not helped and of course the price increase.
Everybody will obviously try and justify their purchase but ultimately it's sales figures which talk.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I like the looks of the MY18+ Mustangs.
On the world stage, it just has more presence & sophistication. Not to mention more engine.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't think the new design point holds up (that people immediately dislike new designs), there are many new designs people appreciate. Plus your rendered front end looks much better, which is a new design! I think the revsied front end is of course just one factor, the poor reviews of the A10 have probably not helped and of course the price increase.
Everybody will obviously try and justify their purchase but ultimately it's sales figures which talk.
And this is exactly why these threads are a waste of time - you've made up your mind and no amount of facts are going to change it.

If I am understanding the data on this site (http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/ford-mustang/), Mustang sales dropped from 2015 to 2016, and then dropped more between 2016 and 2017 than they did between 2017 and 2018 (as a percent). So if sales talk, people must have really hated the 2016 and 2017 Mustangs.

Or, maybe, there's just a sales trend, and the 2018, while updated, wasn't different enough to cause a whole new wave of buyers to come in. Combining that with reported issues with some of the transmissions, car sales dropping in general, a short sales year for the '18, etc., and I think it's pretty hard to pin any lack of sales on the looks.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
When I saw the 18 design is the first mustang I wanted to buy since my 11 RTR.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I'm in the thought it was hideous upon leak crowd. Once I saw proper photos in non-ugly colors, I thought it looked a lot better than the 15-17s - the front end just looks more aerodynamic and when they're driving there's no more reverse-rake/invisible trailer stance you see in the previous models.

Opinions aside, it's an objective improvement over the outgoing models spec/feature-wise. I'm sure that alone makes a lot of people look past the triangles in the front bumper.
Sponsored