New BMW M8 Competition

Champracerj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
Man does this thing (M8 Comp) look like a Mustang or what?
Look at the profile, the hood line, the rear quarters over the rear tires.
Its a Mustang!

image (4).png
image (3).png
image (2).png
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
That's funny... I remember when the s550 first came out, everyone talked about how "European" it looked. Now it's the other way around? Ha

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have one on the way

OP
OP
Champracerj

Champracerj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
I have one on the way
Very nice..
It weighs more than the Mustang at 4500# ish
Has 625 HP (Competition option)
0-60 mph in 3.3 sec
Its quick.
I look forward to seeing one in person.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It would be nice if BMW could sell it for a price that was competitive with Mustang. I guess you need to spend big money if you want to buy a non-boxy BMW.

Sponsored

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It would be nice if BMW could sell it for a price that was competitive with Mustang. I guess you need to spend big money if you want to buy a non-boxy BMW.
It would be nice, but let's be realistic. Where the Mustangs are terrific cars, I own a few of them, their material qualities are not up to par with the higher end BMW's.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It would be nice, but let's be realistic. Where the Mustangs are terrific cars, I own a few of them, their material qualities are not up to par with the higher end BMW's.
I agree the materials are not on par, but that doesn't account for $40k versus $140k.

It would be great if you could still get a V8 M3, for example. $70k is a lot closer to a Mustang price. The M8 is pretty much a different world, and the fact that the M8 and Mustangs look so similar just highlights how far out of line the BMW price is.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I agree the materials are not on par, but that doesn't account for $40k versus $140k.

It would be great if you could still get a V8 M3, for example. $70k is a lot closer to a Mustang price. The M8 is pretty much a different world, and the fact that the M8 and Mustangs look so similar just highlights how far out of line the BMW price is.
No, I'm going to disagree with you on some points. Looks are one thing, everything else the M8 has is a completely different ballgame.

Keep in mind, Ford keeps power train costs way way down, by pretty much sharing the coyote platform across the Mustang, and the F150, that right there is a big one. BMW really does not use this 4.4L TT V8 in much, other than a few low production M Cars.

Material quality, creature comforts, getting it here from Germany, and production numbers are all key factors... To compare this M8 Competition to a standard GT is a bad comparison. This is putting up near GT500 numbers. Sure it falls short in some crucial performance areas, but they're in the same bucket.

The M8 is a great all around grand tourer. The GT500 is a track weapon.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No, I'm going to disagree with you on some points. Looks are one thing, everything else the M8 has is a completely different ballgame.

Keep in mind, Ford keeps power train costs way way down, by pretty much sharing the coyote platform across the Mustang, and the F150, that right there is a big one. BMW really does not use this 4.4L TT V8 in much, other than a few low production M Cars.

Material quality, creature comforts, getting it here from Germany, and production numbers are all key factors... To compare this M8 Competition to a standard GT is a bad comparison. This is putting up near GT500 numbers. Sure it falls short in some crucial performance areas, but they're in the same bucket.

The M8 is a great all around grand tourer. The GT500 is a track weapon.
Probably the base GT500 is a good comparison to the BMW in some ways. The GT500 will be much faster and the BMW will have a more beautiful interior. So the BMW is about 2X the Mustang rather than 3X.

Yes the 4.4 TT is probably an expensive engine. It's what BMW chose to use. Maybe not the most competitive choice if it costs too much.

I can't believe it costs $50k or more to ship a BMW across the ocean. Maybe they need a more price competitive shipper.

I think BMW should call it the M8 non-competition. I don't see it winning many competitions.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Probably the base GT500 is a good comparison to the BMW in some ways. The GT500 will be much faster and the BMW will have a more beautiful interior. So the BMW is about 2X the Mustang rather than 3X.

Yes the 4.4 TT is probably an expensive engine. It's what BMW chose to use. Maybe not the most competitive choice if it costs too much.

I can't believe it costs $50k or more to ship a BMW across the ocean. Maybe they need a more price competitive shipper.

I think BMW should call it the M8 non-competition. I don't see it winning many competitions.
It's a completely different car, with a whole different level of refinement. I own a 2020 GT500. It's a terrific car, I love it a lot, but it still has the exact same level of quality as a $25,000 ecoboost rental car. It's an economies of scale thing, amount of shared parts, quality of parts, profit margins etc.

No sane company, is going to sell a car for what it takes to manufacturer. You have R&D costs, marketing, the accountants who crunched the number on this thing, the engineering teams etc.

Do you think Ford has $72,000 in hard materials and labor costs in every 2020 GT500? The new GT500 is not that much faster than the 2020 BMW M8 Competition. They both have similar 0-60 times, and the M8 Competition has also ran the quarter mile in the high tens, with BMW giving it an official 1/4mi at 11.2, and a 3.2 0-60, but its already been tested to 10.9 by some mags

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's a completely different car, with a whole different level of refinement. I own a 2020 GT500. It's a terrific car, I love it a lot, but it still has the exact same level of quality as a $25,000 ecoboost rental car. It's an economies of scale thing, amount of shared parts, quality of parts, profit margins etc.

No sane company, is going to sell a car for what it takes to manufacturer. You have R&D costs, marketing, the accountants who crunched the number on this thing, the engineering teams etc.

Do you think Ford has $72,000 in hard materials and labor costs in every 2020 GT500? The new GT500 is not that much faster than the 2020 BMW M8 Competition. They both have similar 0-60 times, and the M8 Competition has also ran the quarter mile in the high tens, with BMW giving it an official 1/4mi at 11.2, and a 3.2 0-60, but its already been tested to 10.9 by some mags
We agree that the BMW is more refined. I wouldn't pay so much for refinement, though.

I would also give you that the BMW will be quicker in low traction situations. But $140K? Crazy price in my opinion. I couldn't justify it for a car that will depreciate rapidly.

So you got one of the first GT500s. Awesome. I'm sure it will be fun.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have owned a number of German cars (Porsche, Mercedes and BMW) and the general level of fit, finish, material quality and paint is much better than what you will find on a Ford or Chevy. My 10 year old 335i still looks like new,inside and out. But, they are way over-priced and generally far more complex than necessary.
Sponsored