Need advice/help shipping Mustang

CCIWDO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys. Moving from Temecula CA go Fredericksburg Va in July. Any advice or tips on who I should go with for shipping my car? We’re gonna drive cross country in the wife’s truck towing a trailer with some essential stuff in it so we’re not sleeping on air mattress’ at the new house so towing the car ourselves is out. Thanks in advance guys.

also. If some has any advice for someone not used to road salt and crap on their cars that would be great. Will I need a winter beater? Or will winter wheels and tires be sufficient?
Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Winter, or even all season tires are all you need.
First, it's not exactly the snow belt, you'll get a little but don't count on having a snowman in the yard too often. My parents lived on the Northern Neck (the peninsula east of F'burg) for a couple decades, they had no infrastructure for snow removal in the rural areas so they'd just shut everything down until it melted, usually a few hours. I'm not even sure they use salt there. Sand is worse than salt, once the snow melts and dries it's just sand on the road and can be kicked up by your tires.
Second, salt really isn't an issue anymore. The European manufacturers started using alloys and processes that nearly eliminated major rust in the 80s. I have a '86 944 that has never been indoors since I bought it in 1997 and was my DD until 2004, it has zero rust. With a set of good snow tires it goes through anything. The 944 was the first car to have a fully galvanized body back in 1983, now it's common on most vehicles. Because of things like galvanizing and corrosion resistant alloys, European cars have been mostly rust free since the late '80s. American manufacturers adopted similar improvements in the '90s and even japanese cars have stopped rusting in the last 10-15 years. The only places I notice rust anymore is on the rear fenders of Hondas, Toyotas and domestic pickups built prior to 2010. I don't remember ever seeing rust on a S197 or S550, even SN95's are mostly rust free.
That said, if yours is a garage queen that kept spotless and only driven on nice days, you probably already have a different car to drive the rest of the time. If your car is a DD, you'll be fine. The one thing you will need is some practice, find a big empty parking lot (preferably free of curbs and light poles) and do some donuts the sirst time it snows. Get a feel for the traction limits so you know what to expect. I've found that north-easterners drive in the snow about the same as Californians drive in the rain. Virginians are somewhere in between.

OP
OP
CCIWDO

CCIWDO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Winter, or even all season tires are all you need.
First, it's not exactly the snow belt, you'll get a little but don't count on having a snowman in the yard too often. My parents lived on the Northern Neck (the peninsula east of F'burg) for a couple decades, they had no infrastructure for snow removal in the rural areas so they'd just shut everything down until it melted, usually a few hours. I'm not even sure they use salt there. Sand is worse than salt, once the snow melts and dries it's just sand on the road and can be kicked up by your tires.
Second, salt really isn't an issue anymore. The European manufacturers started using alloys and processes that nearly eliminated major rust in the 80s. I have a '86 944 that has never been indoors since I bought it in 1997 and was my DD until 2004, it has zero rust. With a set of good snow tires it goes through anything. The 944 was the first car to have a fully galvanized body back in 1983, now it's common on most vehicles. Because of things like galvanizing and corrosion resistant alloys, European cars have been mostly rust free since the late '80s. American manufacturers adopted similar improvements in the '90s and even japanese cars have stopped rusting in the last 10-15 years. The only places I notice rust anymore is on the rear fenders of Hondas, Toyotas and domestic pickups built prior to 2010. I don't remember ever seeing rust on a S197 or S550, even SN95's are mostly rust free.
That said, if yours is a garage queen that kept spotless and only driven on nice days, you probably already have a different car to drive the rest of the time. If your car is a DD, you'll be fine. The one thing you will need is some practice, find a big empty parking lot (preferably free of curbs and light poles) and do some donuts the sirst time it snows. Get a feel for the traction limits so you know what to expect. I've found that north-easterners drive in the snow about the same as Californians drive in the rain. Virginians are somewhere in between.
Do you thing getting a set of winter wheels is worth the cost? Currently have PP1 wheels with MPS4s.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Do you thing getting a set of winter wheels is worth the cost? Currently have PP1 wheels with MPS4s.
I dont know much about snow or cold as I live in south Florida but welcome to the east coast. I bought my 2020 GT Premium from a Georgia dealer, so I had to get a shipping company. I used ship a car direct and they were awesome. They kept me in the loop on everything and the driver was very very professional and accommodating.

https://www.shipacardirect.com/index.php

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Your tires should be fine from late March to mid November, I wouldn't trust them in the winter. Get some all seasons for the winter. You could probably put your winter tires on the stock wheels and get something lighter to put the summer tires on.
Sponsored