Need advice adding Ported IM and TB

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
I’m interested in adding a ported intake manifold and ported throttle body from Air Flow Solutions.

I’m running a Lund tune. I emailed Lund and they recommended I don’t do either, especially the TB.

I called AFS and they said PBD and VMP tune for this.

I’ve got a good bit invested in my Ngauge and tunes so I don’t want to buy a new device and tunes from another vendor.

Any suggestions or experiences with this?

Thanks.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Did they say why not do it and especially the throttle body?

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
Here’s the email from Lund. I asked if I would need a revised tune to run IM and TB.

No, you won't need a revised tune, but I would advise against those mods - especially the throttle

Porting won't add any power and we see tons of issues with ported throttles

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Do a search, there was a discussion that went into the why. There are some who say its the caliber of tuner (Lund either cant or wont). Others say it isn't worth it (Hot Rod magazine sort of supports this in their Gen 3 Coyote mod series). And then there is information showing the method of porting is inferior/superior (I forget which is which but one company resizes the butterfly with a custom piece that has a lower profile and is larger).

In the end, lots of opinions. To me, the Hot Rod articles were enough for me to decide.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I tried an AFS ported TB with my AED tune and the car would not idle correctly. AED basically said the same thing as Lund, don’t do it, but I tried anyways. I was recommended to try the Maxbore ported TB which has worked flawlessly. Whether it adds power or not is a different story.

I do want to get my 18 IM ported by AFS.

Sponsored

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
If you're running the 2018 manifold I would just run the stock TB. Porting does pick up some power VMP did a video where they dyno tested the unported vs ported and the difference was about 5hp. The ported 18 mani actually made more power than the GT350 mani but they tested both with the stock 17 TB. No one I've seen has actually dyno tested the gt 350 mani with both The stock tb and the 87mm TB. To see if there is a difference so I can't say for sure but I do know some tuners don't want to work with the 87mm TB. My personal car has the GT 350 mani, TB, And CAI. And runs great

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Without having to search for the exact article, what did you go with?

I'm just curious, as I am supercharged and have a larger throttle body.

Do a search, there was a discussion that went into the why. There are some who say its the caliber of tuner (Lund either cant or wont). Others say it isn't worth it (Hot Rod magazine sort of supports this in their Gen 3 Coyote mod series). And then there is information showing the method of porting is inferior/superior (I forget which is which but one company resizes the butterfly with a custom piece that has a lower profile and is larger).

In the end, lots of opinions. To me, the Hot Rod articles were enough for me to decide.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Without having to search for the exact article, what did you go with?

I'm just curious, as I am supercharged and have a larger throttle body.
Didn't realize it posted twice. I went with Lund as my tuner, skipped the ported throttle body/intake, and switched to E85. Hot Rod's testing showed the CJ and 2018 manifolds to be the best intakes and E85 is worth it. Cams are ok for 2018 but really shine on the CJ. The setup doesn't really respond to larger throttle bodies (some just don't work at all) and porting had minimal gains on both the CJ and 2018.

They were supposed to do heads next followed by some sort of forced induction but they never finished. FI is always different because a small NA gain can be a huge FI gain. So in your case I would take it all with a grain of salt.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
ported throttle body from Air Flow Solutions.
I run Bret’s CNC 80mm TB on a Gen2 with a GT350 intake and no tune !
Bret’s CNC 80mm TB may not show much of a horse power gain but the throttle response is noticeable.
Stick with Bret’s TB and his suggestions for tuners.

My next move is Soler Performance ported 87mm TB with a correct tune for the 87mm TB.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I had issues with the AFS TB that both Lund and AED couldn’t fix. Luckily I was able to get a full refund.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Their TB's are excellent.

I run Bret’s CNC 80mm TB on a Gen2 with a GT350 intake and no tune !
Bret’s CNC 80mm TB may not show much of a horse power gain but the throttle response is noticeable.
Stick with Bret’s TB and his suggestions for tuners.

My next move is Soler Performance ported 87mm TB with a correct tune for the 87mm TB.