Sponsored

narrowest garage door the s550 fits through

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
er yeah. In practical terms what is the narrowest door opening this car fits through? I've seen 1985mm is the width of the car with mirrors retracted so call it 2metres but thats obviously scratching paintwork at that door width so whats the narrowest door folks regularly fit their car through. I'll be moving to a new house with a double garage (so they say but its a new build so 1.5 garage maybe) BUT two bloody single doors. Just looking to see what's likely. At least the driveway is wide enough for two cars to sit outside while the junk sits inside
Sponsored

Last edited:

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Really doesn't matter if you are unable to open doors.
If you want a measutement from o/s of mirrors in American inches that would be very close to 82".
This is with mirrors in driving position on a 2019 California Special

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Really doesn't matter if you are unable to open doors.
If you want a measutement from o/s of mirrors in American inches that would be very close to 82".
This is with mirrors in driving position on a 2019 California Special
hi, it's double garage so there is little space on one side and loads of space on the other depending what door i squeeze through. The total width is likely 4.5 maybe 5m wide but with two single doors and a centre support instead of one big door so once in i can open the car door but getting in :(

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it's the door opening angle that's a problem.

With my driving position and the Recaro's, it needs to go wide unless you want to trash the bolsters / kick the plastic trims etc - and they are big, big doors to open wide ... lol

WD :like:

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Why not measure with the mirrors open? Then add a few centimeters to that and that would be the minimum?
that would be 2097mm then, according to the manual so in theory 2200 is neat, very neat
Yeah it's the door opening angle that's a problem.

With my driving position and the Recaro's, it needs to go wide unless you want to trash the bolsters / kick the plastic trims etc - and they are big, big doors to open wide ... lol

yeah it's a boring single garage in the rental we're in the now but the door is 2.3metres and the inside is 3.3 metres so it's tight but gives me space to angle the car and get some more drivers door opening space.

Why the UK is allowed to build such stupidly small rooms and call them garages is an insult to modern society!

exhibit A - example of the type of garage I'm moving to (all things passing financial checks)
two fugging two doors and central pillar but tonnes of space inside IF you can get the damned car past the doors
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

instead of exhibit B - one big fck off door.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

It would be better to have the empty land and a discount on the house but it's not the British way. I see some American and Australian garage pictures on here and I cry a lot inside :frown:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
If it’s your door to modify, I went with an electric roller mounted internally and it gives you about 3” per side extra room (you save all the frame and up and over mechanism i.e. the brown woodwork on exhibit A) :like:

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
If it’s your door to modify, I went with an electric roller mounted internally and it gives you about 3” per side extra room (you save all the frame and up and over mechanism i.e. the brown woodwork on exhibit A) :like:

oh I'm tempted to go the full one door and remove the entire frame lol but new build rules are a bit funny and altering anything like that means removing the building warranty completely. It's like wtf! You build something sht and when folks change it as is their want, you the builder throw a hissy fit and toys out the pram!

I'll look into the electric door options for sure, cheers WD

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
My garage is 3 metres wide, but the entry point is a little narrower.

It's a fairly tight fit, so I mounted some soft flooring underlay tiles to the wall to protect the driver's door as I enter/exit the car.

m4a-jpg.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
yeah that's pretty narrow. I have some good fashioned cardboard leaning against the wall where the drivers door opens. Hopefully the stang will fit past the doors as once its in I'll have plenty of space to open the drivers door as i'll have the passsenger door on the tight side. Just waiting on the builders telling me how wide the garage door actually is.