MY20 changes

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
What the GT500 does do is suggest the MY20 cars will have the now 'standard' Ford rotating wheel to control the auto box and an electrically activated handbrake

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Why? Easy to do and looks much more modern
I think it would be good to replace the automatic shifter with a knob. Easy to do but probably MORE different parts between the automatic and manual cars. So was an easier decision when there is nothing but the automatic as the GT500.

Electric emergency/parking brake? Terrible idea if you like drifting.

Last edited:

inky5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 5.0GT Fastback
I think that it (gear selector switch/knob) may be technically better - but nowhere near as tactile as a "shifter". Also agree about the electric parking brake, although all cars seem to be going this way... Shame!

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
That selector is because the gt500 has a totally different Automatic trans, it is very VERY unlikely you'll get that on a MY20.

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
The rotary shifter works with Powershift and torque converters so no issue with the type of box. All other auto Fords now have or will have this rotary dial so I think it is extremely likely it WILL appear in the future - MY20 or later.

Manual handbrake is also very old hat these days - I have obviously had both and prefer the electrical version - I don't do handbrake turns !

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The rotary shifter works with Powershift and torque converters so no issue with the type of box. All other auto Fords now have or will have this rotary dial so I think it is extremely likely it WILL appear in the future - MY20 or later.

Manual handbrake is also very old hat these days - I have obviously had both and prefer the electrical version - I don't do handbrake turns !
That handbrake sucks for doing mad skids.... resident yobbo @666mac wouldn't be happy lol

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Hate electric handbrakes. The rotary shift looks like something you'd get in an old mans Jag.
Ford needs to stop with this gimmicky rubbish and get back with the programme of making a performance machine

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
For an auto box it has no effect on performance. The Mustang is now pretty much the only auto Ford without a rotary controller so it seems inevitable. Loads of car makers use them now as they move to drive by wire controllers, and if they are not rotary they are some other similar shape. Some only have buttons, such as my Lotus Evora, and I don't see too many people complaining that isn't a performance car.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
For an auto box it has no effect on performance. The Mustang is now pretty much the only auto Ford without a rotary controller so it seems inevitable. Loads of car makers use them now as they move to drive by wire controllers, and if they are not rotary they are some other similar shape. Some only have buttons, such as my Lotus Evora, and I don't see too many people complaining that isn't a performance car.
I wouldn't complain at them moving to a rotary, i just dont think they will in this generational or generational variant, maybe if/when a s550.3 or a S650 comes out the Auto/ will probably have it .

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
theres still something mechanical needs to move inside the box to select the drive modes and i doubt the a10 has the corresponding solenoids or hydraulics however they switch it already made to be compatible with the rotary dial and I doubt ford would put the R&D into it for this gen they'll worry about it next gen when gm do the same with the a10 on their next gen platforms that way they share teh R&D costs like they did with the box in the first place.

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
I wouldn't complain at them moving to a rotary, i just dont think they will in this generational or generational variant, maybe if/when a s550.3 or a S650 comes out the Auto/ will probably have it .

I was also under the impression the only 2020 Mustang will be the all new GT500.

The next version of the "normal" GT will be the all new S650 now due in 2021 at earliest, more likely 2022, as teh project has been pushed back, I didn't think there was going to be a S550.3

RR550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Auto, L322 Range Rover, Series 3 Land Rover
I was also under the impression the only 2020 Mustang will be the all new GT500.

The next version of the "normal" GT will be the all new S650 now due in 2021 at earliest, more likely 2022, as teh project has been pushed back, I didn't think there was going to be a S550.3
I have the electric handbrake in my other vehicle,I quite like it,it is mounted centrally,so suits left or right hand drive. Not sure about the rotary shifter though.
Sponsored