Sponsored

April 2017 VED changes

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
If 2 cars of same spec came up for sale, 1 with low tax, 1 with high.

I would be buying on condition and that's it.

If the higher tax was better condition I wouldn't hesitate in buying it. It's a few tanks of fuel different that's it. I pay monthly so it's hardley noticeable each month.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
If 2 cars of same spec came up for sale, 1 with low tax, 1 with high.

I would be buying on condition and that's it.

If the higher tax was better condition I wouldn't hesitate in buying it. It's a few tanks of fuel different that's it. I pay monthly so it's hardley noticeable each month.
If they're identical cars, with identical mileage and identical 'wear and tear', identical specs, identical price, but one is 400 quid cheaper on tax, you're going to go with the one cheaper on tax at the end of the day, moneys money.

Completely pointless philosophical debate mind you :lol:

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
They won't be identical as the 550 per year ones will be older thus a bit cheaper anyway.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
If they're identical cars, with identical mileage and identical 'wear and tear', identical specs, identical price, but one is 400 quid cheaper on tax, you're going to go with the one cheaper on tax at the end of the day, moneys money.

Completely pointless philosophical debate mind you :lol:
Tax avoidance! Outrageous behavior Manders! ;)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Tax avoidance! Outrageous behavior Manders! ;)
Pssh! judging by how many are waiting until then for their pickup!!!!! True tax avoidance there... :lol::lol:. I'm paying full price tax for the (Unchanged) ecoboost!

Sponsored

RyStang72

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uptownimaging.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They won't be identical as the 550 per year ones will be older thus a bit cheaper anyway.
Could they be potentially registered within a few days off each other?

one before the change, one after?

identical potentially in every way bar the tax..

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

mike.allison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seat Leon Cupra K1
Correct, i went to one dealer who hadn't a clue, i told him surely thats his business to know? the rest of the experience you can gather!!

Then went to my local dealer, a Mustang owner and number one for all things mustang in the dealership...

great response, he knew exactly what was happening, he quoted that although they are advising 12 month wait from order he said this now will be realistically 9 months.

he advised to return around june and place the order, he also remarked that if the car comes before the April change he will hold out from registering it.

I therefore will be taking advantage of the continued £140, the car will be below £40K, although he did say even though price locked in, any additional tax would fall to buyer, so the extra £900 or so will have to be shelled out..

I don't mind this as the £140 per year will leave me more for insurance +mods !
Yeah these are my thoughts, I am now at a point that it probably makes sense to wait until June/July to put the order in. No matter what people say Road Tax is something a lot of people forget about and going from £265 I am paying for my Seat Leon Cupra to £140 for the v8 Mustang in man maths! is a no brainer. Gives me time to decide which blue to go for Grabber or Lightning?!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah these are my thoughts, I am now at a point that it probably makes sense to wait until June/July to put the order in. No matter what people say Road Tax is something a lot of people forget about and going from £265 I am paying for my Seat Leon Cupra to £140 for the v8 Mustang in man maths! is a no brainer. Gives me time to decide which blue to go for Grabber or Lightning?!
Yeah if you don't mind the added wait, you may as well, i'd shoot for Lighning if you want classy and stand out, grabber as the name states grabs attention from a mile away! However can bet some jealous sod will call it a Smurf mobile.

mike.allison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seat Leon Cupra K1
Yeah if you don't mind the added wait, you may as well, i'd shoot for Lighning if you want classy and stand out, grabber as the name states grabs attention from a mile away! However can bet some jealous sod will call it a Smurf mobile.
Yeah the wait isn't too much of an issue, so will pop in past the dealer (pop in past meaning a 100 mile journey) around June / July and talk about timescales.

Yeah it would be good to see pics, not on the configurator of the s550 and not the GT350 to get a good idea obviously choosing Grabber ensures it is less likely to head north of the £40K figure. Lightning does look less brash but maybe that's what it should be. Decision, Decisions.......

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the wait isn't too much of an issue, so will pop in past the dealer (pop in past meaning a 100 mile journey) around June / July and talk about timescales.

Yeah it would be good to see pics, not on the configurator of the s550 and not the GT350 to get a good idea obviously choosing Grabber ensures it is less likely to head north of the £40K figure. Lightning does look less brash but maybe that's what it should be. Decision, Decisions.......
It'll look great regardless :thumbsup:

Norman Bloke

I'm watching you
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold
If you all think that the VED rate from 2017 will remain at or around £140 is living in a fantasy world.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
If you all think that the VED rate from 2017 will remain at or around £140 is living in a fantasy world.
Quite. For 2017, it's locked now (well, famous last words) but 2018 onwards, who knows.

There are already news articles on this. The Mustang, pre and post changes is about £1000 difference in road tax over 3 years.. whilst it'll be £2k up front, that £140 a year makes all the difference. It's a broken system and I suspect the Gov will be forced to change it. They simply can't be seen to reward people for driving dirty cars. Right now though, it makes the Mustang a bargain. Mine is due before Christmas so I'll be on the £500 scale (or whatever it is these days).

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe you can retrospectively apply legislation. If they decided to massively increase the car tax for cars under £40k (which is the cut-off for the £140 rate), there would be an outcry from people in their Fart (Smart) cars etc. Of course, it may increase in line with inflation but that's about it.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quite. For 2017, it's locked now (well, famous last words) but 2018 onwards, who knows.

There are already news articles on this. The Mustang, pre and post changes is about £1000 difference in road tax over 3 years.. whilst it'll be £2k up front, that £140 a year makes all the difference. It's a broken system and I suspect the Gov will be forced to change it. They simply can't be seen to reward people for driving dirty cars. Right now though, it makes the Mustang a bargain. Mine is due before Christmas so I'll be on the £500 scale (or whatever it is these days).
The government can't spend months keep changing legislation on road tax. It will likely stay like this for another 5-10 years at least. Also, you can't retrospectively apply it.
Sponsored