MY20 Bullitt Engine Rattle

MikeyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt MY20
I don’t know if this can be heard great on the video but the last week or so my new Bullitt seems to have started to make a blowing type air noise when accelerating, not the air intake noise, lift up the hood and there’s this rattling sound when pressing the gas and it gets to a certain RPM...will take it back to the dealer but is anyone able to suggest what it might be or if this is normal? If I put more revs on it goes away, sounds like something is loose in the engine bay maybe.

The other thing is the engine starts kicking off this loud tapping sound when idle, apply the gas a little then it goes, sometimes comes back..

Sponsored

Last edited:

johnscousin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB Mustang GT PP
How's your oil pressure?

jc

OP
OP
MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt MY20
So the latest from the dealer is that Ford have come back and advised them to swap the left and right flaps in the intake manifold?

Presuming they’re referring to the swirl/tumble flaps in the GT350 intake manifold?

Had it for 2 months, 3.7K miles broken in properly and not ragged it. At what point when they’re talking about manifold and engine issues would you say hang on a sec...don’t fancy having a car that’s inherently faulty where I don’t know what damage has been caused to it by some mechanical defect, especially as it’s so new?

Thoughts welcome on this one as I’m a bit unsure on what to do with this other than let it play out and see what they come back with....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The “flaps” may be in reference to the IMRC plates. IMRC plate disfunction has been an issue since the introduction of the 1993 Lincoln 4.6 DOHC (which was then carried over into the 96+ Cobras).

Ford prob wants Tech to confirm if the IMRCs are faulty or not before proceeding with additional diagnosis.

The plates can prematurely fail and can be replaced. Some folks have deleted the plates using “IMRC deletes”. Some say it’s better without, others say that with deletion there’s low end torque loss. If the IMRCs are replaced with factory parts, they should last at least a good 50-60k+.

You can research “IMRC” on here or via google and gets lots more info if needed.

OP
OP
MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt MY20
The “flaps” may be in reference to the IMRC plates. IMRC plate disfunction has been an issue since the introduction of the 1993 Lincoln 4.6 DOHC (which was then carried over into the 96+ Cobras).

Ford prob wants Tech to confirm if the IMRCs are faulty or not before proceeding with additional diagnosis.

The plates can prematurely fail and can be replaced. Some folks have deleted the plates using “IMRC deletes”. Some say it’s better without, others say that with deletion there’s low end torque loss. If the IMRCs are replaced with factory parts, they should last at least a good 50-60k+.

You can research “IMRC” on here or via google and gets lots more info if needed.
Thank you for the reply, that’s really informative. Will have a look on the forums and online, much appreciated.

OP
OP
MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt MY20
Latest is they’ve placed and order for a new IMRC actuator/control unit...apparently it’s failed or not functioning normally, 4 days wait then will see what the situation is and if it’s resolved the issue.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Latest is they’ve placed and order for a new IMRC actuator/control unit...apparently it’s failed or not functioning normally, 4 days wait then will see what the situation is and if it’s resolved the issue.
That should fix the issue - definitely keep us updated and best of luck!!

OP
OP
MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt MY20
So waited almost a week for the part and the dealer has ordered the wrong part...apparently the part number is wrong in the UK parts system and told on Friday they’ve sent the actuator for the standard manifold....so another 4 days to a week wait for the correct part as they’re saying there are no GT350 manifold actuator parts in the UK....

In the meantime they’ve provided me with, what I was told at the time of getting the car would be like for like, a replacement for the Bullitt...a Ford Kuga....someone is taking the p***

At the same time I’ve got the dealer whinging that it’s costing them to fix the car and ignoring a better spec replacement for the hire car....

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt MY20
Part arrived, issue still there. Told they’re ordering a new manifold now....another 1 week minimum wait.