Sponsored

My Supercharged 200 MPH build

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 97 Westfield SEW
Thought I would do a full thread for the car on here as i have bits of updates floating around in different threads.

When i got this car i had no plans for it besides just enjoying it for what it was. That lasted a few months until i saw Edelbrock selling off the 2300 supercharger kits. From then on things just got more and more expensive.

I have had fun with the car over the summer and recently did an charity event with the Yorkshire super car owners club at Elvington airfield. This was a standing mile organised by Straightliners.

2 mile runway, 1 mile to accelerate and 1 mile to slow down.

I didn't go expecting to do much as the weather was grim, wet runway and it started to rain on the last run.

But the car did well, no traction until 70/80+ but i still managed to hit the limiter in 5th at 182mph. I came 6th from 26 cars.

This has got me a bit hooked now and i have made plans to get the car to 200mph in the mile next year.

Bought the car last October from Trust Ford for just under 25K with high miles (46k) full history 1 owner.

Didn't intend to do anything with it except drive and have fun.

When i bought it

c5FHphk.jpg

at home the next day

ctLBIf8.jpg

Cay84am.jpg

I stayed like this until March when i saw a few bits on Ebay from some one selling off parts after selling their car.
Bought a Genuine Ford California special grille, US spec rear deck lid and Roush Axle back exhaust.

Original grille out and new one in
s0JReGL.jpg

AAQXjAw.jpg

UK deck lid
raHNtGO.jpg

US deck lid
TgOxYOS.jpg

The Axle backs i fitted but then removed as i found them just too loud for me.

I was bored one day i started browsing at superchargers. The 5.0 V8 responds well to forced induction and can take about 1000bhp before it breaks.

I saw the Edelbrock 2300 kits being discontinued as a larger 2650 kit is now available.

ÂŁ4200 plus vat/duty and it arrived via CJ pony parts

UkOyz4P.jpg

came on a pallet in 2 large boxes.

The little blower is what is going on my westfield.
pkLU7L2.jpg

Got a nice day last weekend so pulled it in and started the install

kuWmuQo.jpg

kdn52GT.jpg

Standard intake

NzT2jxY.jpg

stripping down

3v0rzbm.jpg

Old intake removed. vacuumed out all the crap.

4puZ7g2.jpg

Edelbrock in place

yiXDshL.jpg

Topping up the coolant and checking levels

mpKrJgQ.jpg

The kit came with a SCT tuner and a tune file from Edelbrock to get it up and running. This is for US spec 50 state emissions and really didn't drive well.

I booked the car into Motorsport & Performance in Batley, West Yorks after reading great stuff about them.

This morning I took the car in and Denton did a great job of improving not only the low speed drivability but the mid range torque and overall power.

In the Dyno cell ( had to nick these pics from MAP as i forgot to take my own)

1umostH.jpg

on the hub Dyno

h3DH1St.jpg

It ran 552 WHP on the Edelbrock tune then Denton got on with mapping and improving the car.

It finished with 618.8 HP and 547 ft-lbs at the wheels. The Mustangs seem to run a 15% transmission loss so it works out at 711BHP

r9W7eEv.jpg

MISmvmJ.jpg

Denton was surprised and so was I. I expected high 500's at the wheels so it was a good day.

Next up will be some suspension upgrades to help keep the power in check.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Few bit done with the car. First up was to fit the Steeda subframe alignment and bushing support kit to keep the rear subframe in check.
P8Mbvn3.jpg

ccVmTYi.jpg

wWGucL7.jpg

zgrFnfv.jpg

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I started to get some cold start issues with the car when the inlet temp was dropping below 8 degrees.

Quick email to Edelbrock support and a newer brass inlet air temp sensor was sent out over the weekend to me.

Old plastic faulty sensor and newer brass sensor.
CGnIGuO.jpg

This sensor requires changes to the ecu to calibrate it so I decided I wanted to do this myself so bought HP Tuners so I now have access to all engine parameters.
U58CLgP.jpg

Making some comparisons between the standard/ Edelbrock & custom maps.
9GllfUY.jpg

I have been tinkering with the torque/inverse torque tables to try and get the car driving a bit smoother low down.

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last weekend my JMS boost a pump arrived and was I fitted it upside in the boot.
This boost the fuel pump voltage to increase fuel supply. It’s set to start boosting from 50% throttle.
3bCaoKW.jpg

Also swapped out the nasty orange side markers to red so it looks a bit cleaner. These are led but I’m not bothered about wiring them in.
Nasty orange
E7NnfNH.jpg

Cleaner red
EKqXkfX.jpg

Over the next few weeks/months I have larger injectors, throttle body, air intake and oil pump gears coming. Plan is to go for 800bhp.

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Few bits done to the car over the last week.

Upgraded to the 2018+ digital dash

Normal mode
Rvj4WIH.jpg

Sport
VfJWEtX.jpg

Track/drag
wR3Q9VN.jpg

and so it didn't feel lonely i also upgraded from MFT (sync 2) to Sync 3
agQLvZQ.jpg

Both dash and Sync 3
1qHTmzA.jpg

Dash was the most expensive at about ÂŁ1400 for all the bits and the Sync 3 came in at just over 500 using secondhand Focus unit.
Money well spent as the inside now feels much nicer to be in and the Apple car play is certainly welcomed.

Also over the last few months since supercharging the car the day to day drive ability has been slowly getting on my t*ts. Wide open throttle the car was great but just plodding around in traffic it was a chore to try and drive smooth. A few weeks of research and i went with Palm Beach Dyno in Florida for a remote tune to see if they could get it driving better.

Final revision of there tune today after some data logging and the car is night and day difference to drive. Even feels like it pulls better so happy. Will be going back on the dyno again in the near future to see what the power is now.

Sitting in my office now is also a 2018 active exhaust that will be going on soon. Just waiting on a control box to arrive so there will be more pics soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another small update, need to have the thread title updated too as the car no longer has 711bhp.

I had been struggling with drive ability issues for a while and was getting now where so decided to use a Tuner from the states for a new custom MAP.
Palm Beach Dyno were chosen and after some data logging for them i got my final tune for the current spec.

Today the car went back on a hub dyno at AET Motorsport (AET turbos) and ran a number of pulls while i logged them.

The results were very good.

632 rwhp and 577 rwt so pretty much 730bhp now.

loIGnhF.jpg

TuMIYk5.jpg

youtube link

Plan is now to fit billet oil pump gears and sprocket, Edelbrock cold air induction kit and a smaller pulley for an extra 3psi.
The aim is 650+ rwhp so around 760 bhp

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bit more work done to the car over the last few weeks.

Knowing i was going to up the power more i decided to fit billet oil pump gears and crank sprocket.

This means stripping of the front timing cover, removing the timing chains to acces the oil pump. The whole job took about 7.5 hours.

9njjr1k.jpg

HQWOGtq.jpg

oil pump exposed
AMdaDmf.jpg

to get the oil pump off the pick up pipe has to be unbolted. if you drop the bolts they go into the sump so the best way was to loosen it off and wrap a bit of wire between the bolt and washer as the washer cant come off the bolt. made removal and refitting much easier.
1yg6SVk.jpg

Getting the timing marks all lines up on the new crank sprocket.
ptztdXp.jpg

I went with Boundary gears
rlWc1Rr.jpg

old standard ford gears
YNSDNwS.jpg

Once that was all done a new tune was emailed over from Palm beach and the rest of the upgrades were fitted.

GT350 throttle body taking the opening from 80 to 87mm.
r78j8NM.jpg

Side by side
1qEKCRg.jpg

GT350 fitted
mITlvrQ.jpg

Edelbrock cold air intake fitted to replace the restrictive standard air box
na00vev.jpg

And the smaller 2.75" pulley to give the car an extra 3psi.
oAgQGaG.jpg

I wanted to keep an eye on the boost and oil pressure so two gauges were bought and fitted into the dash vents via 3D printed gauge holders.
XglrARD.jpg

xsZehxu.jpg

Afew cosmetic upgrades were also carried out.

After fitting the active 2018+ exhaust i needed a valance to make it look more factory. Decided on the Roush.
tewTFT3.jpg

bTQXgwY.jpg

One of the let downs for me with hte car was the steering wheel. Cheap fake leather felt awful to hold and too thin.
A little browse on US ebay got me a GT350 wheel with only 500 miles use.

GaAuvWt.jpg

About to swap all switches over
esmRAhN.jpg

Done
nK0NRk4.jpg

Back on the car
7fGiUhL.jpg

Such an improvement. Looks better, feels better.

The car is booked back on the same dyno tomorrow for a power run. Hoping for 680whp so about 800bhp.

Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well a slightly disappointing day on the dyno this morning.

Last time the car ran 632hp at the wheels and 577lbft of torque.

Today we only managed 638hp at the wheels but we did manage a nice increase in torque of 40lbft so now at 617lbft at the wheels.

The heat today didn't help and the car only managed 12psi as opposed to 14psi with IAT's of 43c

The car is much nicer to drive though with the power delivery being much more linear where as before it would come in with a bit of a hit.

Peak hp was also much lower at about 6300rpm vs 7400rpm last time making it more accessible.

3siwjjd.jpg

BS8hom2.jpg

Not sure what to do now, either just keep it as it is or go long tube headers, free flowing cats and larger injectors or sell the car and move onto the next project.

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple of pictures from a few weeks ago.

New injectors arrived but still haven't had the time to fit them yet.
These are 72lb whipple injectors and will replace the current 52lb set.

ZwwBDtr.jpg

Also had a sub-frame support brace kit arrive which i got bolted on in an hour. This will help keep the rear sub-frame in touch and help reduce wheel hop.

VezsU2R.jpg

u84F6fP.jpg

M4fi8Jv.jpg

YrhkGfH.jpg

VNPf2kf.jpg

Just a shot of the blower
ACCXQA7.jpg

Nice moody shot after a wash and polish
18CjyAk.jpg

I have also moved back up to a 3 inch pulley for the winter to help with the power delivery. Still 725bhp+ & 670lbft I can now use a few more revs off boost for normal driving.
But with the wet weather right now it still just spins the wheels as soon as the boost comes in if your not careful.

Hoping to take part in a speed event next week at Elvington.
There 0-60, 1/4 mile etc but i'm interested in the top speed runs and rolling starts.

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right so the Speed event didn't take due to being double booked or some thing but it has now been confirmed for the 25th so i'm still taking part.

In the mean time i had the chance to get a few bits done to the car.

First job was to get the injectors swapped out for the 72lb's and flash the ecu with the new injector parameters.
Not many pics of this as i just forgot to take any.

UCytLVW.jpg

wbHUjQ5.jpg

n4VMwPr.jpg

I decided to work on the intake setup to try and help with IAT's. The Edelbrock intake is a sealed box but it didn't have any seals to keep out hot engine bay air. So a bit of foam tape ordered up and put around the MAF housing and the lid.

32Y0nq0.jpg

vL6ocCh.jpg

macdgaz.jpg

While I was at it I ordered a Velossa tech big mouth and refitted the standard grille but opened up the grille more to allow better airflow. This is more to help prevent backwash from the rads.

I also added a black pony badge to get rid of the chrome. US spec lower grille that i had in the garage for a while finally went on to match the upper grille.

5ESIW49.jpg

W4CUjSQ.jpg

PfMiZSx.jpg

aBwwZ9B.jpg

2bk8UPa.jpg

Kt4XxTJ.jpg

Op4GNky.jpg

xzXIAKe.jpg

9kB6FCI.jpg

Full set of pads but only swapped the fronts. Rears were still like new so just gave them a clean up. No more squeal and they bite nicely.

TwZnoUY.jpg

For the best part of 20 years i have always worked on my own cars on trolley jacks and stands and always wanted a lift but never had the space for one.
My current Garage is now much larger then the previous one by being about 1.5m wider and almost twice as long so i finally have space for some sort of lift.

A 2 post isn't really possible due to hight. I'd be able to lift but not able to walk under so I saw these lifts on different forums and had a look in my nearest Costco.

RcA7ZAi.jpg

9We3kja.jpg

e8DT48R.jpg

WfJbAKv.jpg

sRVkOTQ.jpg

12v powered so it can run the car you are working on or a spare battery. Makes it quite portable.

Very happy with it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had some fun today at a very wet Elvington airfield with the Yorkshire Super car Owners Club who arranged a day with Straightliners. 2 mile run way and 26 cars having a go at the standing mile.

Was a good turn out with plenty of supercars and sports cars.

0jLrSGS.jpg

FJmPQ9V.jpg

I managed 6 runs and placed 6th overall out of 26.

iAZ49vh.jpg

My best was 181.286 over the mile with no traction until 80ish.

wQWwvN6.jpg

pVvooJJ.jpg

And a vid of the 181mph run

[footnote]Edited by CraigJ on Friday 25th October 15:19[/footnote]

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Few pictures from yesterday courteous of ADImages.co.uk

The Madmax 911 turbo was around 1400bhp

LaRP86I.jpg

F9nkvsr.jpg

h5GhAWG.jpg

jNvTYmR.jpg

fqqkWcf.jpg

ic0E9Aq.jpg

mLTohz6.jpg

QZsQSUD.jpg

MwO6h3g.jpg

PNBNxTd.jpg

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not much of an update but had some parts arrive.

Long tube headers 1.7/8" into 3" collector then 3" 100cell cats.

7Kx5f0A.jpg

oNJevEL.jpg

I have to build mid pipes and order a Magnaflow resonator yet but once done and fitted it should help the engine gasses flow much better and allow a bit more timing. New tune from PBD will be added and hopefully see power closer to 700WHP.

A replacement diff is also on the way from a breakers in the states with a 3.15 ratio. This will give the car a top speed in 5th of 209mph using the standard tyre sizes.

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today DHL turned up with my Diff. $350 shipped to Stackry then an eye watering ÂŁ740 to have it shipped to the UK. I still feel violated and sore. Next time i will have to shop around to find a better alternative or maybe have DHL etc collect direct from the seller.

Turned up in a big ass crate that weighed more than the diff. 100lb for the diff and 106lb for the crate.

3In2kae.jpg

Nice little pumpkin
3.15 from a V6 manual

Vo1QBJd.jpg

JsY4yjb.jpg

I have a set of GT350 half shafts and a magnaflow tru X resonator arriving on Friday.

Now its finding a couple of days to get it all fitted and new tune from PBD will go in and back to the dyno. Hoping to see around 680whp and that should get me to 200mph fingers crossed.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Thanks for starting this thread.
Great stuff, excellent work!

Very inspiring build, wish I'd done something similar.

Keep us posted on development.

:clap:
Sponsored