OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Well guys, I may not have the '18 yet, but on snow days like this, I can play with my '65 R-model clone that's under construction. Been hanging out in the shop making templates and cutting metal for block-offs to use on the firewall and rear bulkhead on my vintage race car project. There are a bunch of great books out there that cover the old cars - way more reference material than is available on the new ones - so it's pretty easy to build one from the ground up. A couple of my favorites are Chuck Cantwell's recent book (came out last summer) and Colin Comer's comprehensive book on 50 years of the GT350.

The '65 cars were built for one reason - for Ford to gain the credibility of a "sports car" by getting homologated to race with the SCCA. Lots of compromises were made by Shelby and team, even on the street cars - like the toggle switch on the dash for a horn as Harry mentioned, as well as things like figuring out how best to seal the holes where the over-ride traction bars went through the floor (ended up using the boot from a Ford truck e-brake!). The '66 cars were dialed back a notch - both to increase profitability and to make them a bit more user friendly. One of the changes was to move the battery back into the engine compartment - as much due to cost and time as it was to remedy the concerns about fumes. These days, with AGM technology, that's not as much of an issue.

Here's a pic of my project from not too long ago - with any luck, this one'll be out of the rotisserie around the same time the new one comes home. Although there are lots of colors to choose from these days, this one will be Wimbledon white with Guardsman blue stripes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as engine weight - the shipping weight for a crate engine long block Coyote is 444 lbs, so figure maybe another 60 lbs or so for intake and misc. parts and right around 500 lbs would be a good guess for a Coyote / Voodoo. Right around what a decent small block from back in the day would weigh - except those were doing well to put out hp numbers in the low 300s.

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Well have to ask why two different diameters on the steering wheel?

Mulligan, sorry to have crashed your thread. Still friends? https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/images/smilies/ford.gif
The first batch of K code cars from San Jose assembly plant were sent to Venice came with 16" wood rimmed Cobra steering wheels after which time all subsequent cars came with 15" Cobra steering wheels.

Also many people think that the Guardsman Blue OTT racing stripes came standard from Shelby American when in fact less than 200 cars were equipped that way from Venice/LAX SA locations with the onus being put on the Ford dealers for that application.

;)

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Well guys, I may not have the '18 yet, but on snow days like this, I can play with my '65 R-model clone that's under construction. Been hanging out in the shop making templates and cutting metal for block-offs to use on the firewall and rear bulkhead on my vintage race car project. There are a bunch of great books out there that cover the old cars - way more reference material than is available on the new ones - so it's pretty easy to build one from the ground up. A couple of my favorites are Chuck Cantwell's recent book (came out last summer) and Colin Comer's comprehensive book on 50 years of the GT350.

The '65 cars were built for one reason - for Ford to gain the credibility of a "sports car" by getting homologated to race with the SCCA. Lots of compromises were made by Shelby and team, even on the street cars - like the toggle switch on the dash for a horn as Harry mentioned, as well as things like figuring out how best to seal the holes where the over-ride traction bars went through the floor (ended up using the boot from a Ford truck e-brake!). The '66 cars were dialed back a notch - both to increase profitability and to make them a bit more user friendly. One of the changes was to move the battery back into the engine compartment - as much due to cost and time as it was to remedy the concerns about fumes. These days, with AGM technology, that's not as much of an issue.

Here's a pic of my project from not too long ago - with any luck, this one'll be out of the rotisserie around the same time the new one comes home. Although there are lots of colors to choose from these days, this one will be Wimbledon white with Guardsman blue stripes.

Very nice project and great to hear that you will go with Wimbledon White and Guardsman Blue colors.

Back in 1986 I purchased a '65 GT350R clone and what a blast to drive.

It came out of San Jose, California and was raced by Pivec Racing in California with Paul Newman supposedly involved in some fashion but could never confirm that.

Originally it came with 3.00 gears and based on that rear end ratio I could wind up that little K code 289 to just over 60 MPH in first gear. Launching the car was a little tricky and since I was driving it on the street I quickly changed to 3.70 gears and that made a world of difference.

Had that car for a number of years and should never have sold it as I always wanted to put a set of down draft Webers on it which would have been real cool with the sound of that car somewhat similar to my 2012 Boss 302 at 6500 RPM.

As far as I know that car still resides with the person that I sold it to in the 90's with Howard W. living in Abbotsford, B.C.

Would like to hear more about your proposed powertrain for this car and look forward to the finished product!

:cool:

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
It would have been a nice bonus having the battery in the trunk. Would help the next GT500 a lot, but I'm sure its not a cheap venture.

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, since there's not much to say about the new one, here's some info on the '65. One thing is for sure, JR??? will be a lot more comfortable, quieter, and easier to drive on the street than this thing.

It started out as a rusted-out body that sat on a local farm since '79. It really wasn't worth saving, as we had to pretty much reconstruct the entire body, but it deserved a second chance - hence "Muligan." I'm building it with an old-school appearance (except for the cage), but with state-of-the-vintage-art parts. My target is the sister car to Mark Donohue's Dockery Ford race car, which was driven by Martin Krinner - here's a shot of his car....

Midwest vintage groups basically will let most non-period mods go with just a little weight penalty - most of which will be made up by the extra weight of the 16 pt. chrom-moly cage. I pretty much went through Cobra Automotive's catalog and checked every box. Suspension is just reinforced original stuff, including leaf springs in the rear (though on roller bearing sliders) and it'll even have drum brakes out back (though they're 11" x 2 1/2" Econoline van versions that are drilled and ducted).

Drivetrain will include a 9k rpm engine using a Dart Iron Eagle 302 block as the starting point, but with a 289 crank and forged internals. That'll be backed by a Jerico magnesium case four speed (straight cut gear dog box - i.e., no synchros) and the clutch will likely be a multi-disc 7 1/4" set-up on a ring gear (so no flywheel).

Oh yeah, and these will top the whole thing......

Here's a pic of the seats, Ultra Shield with containment halo for driver - since I instruct for HPDE days, I opted to include a passenger seat in the build....

And here's one of the rear end with the torque arm mocked-up. It's a Moser 9" that'll also have a watts link to help locate everything and let the springs just control the up-and-down motion.

Keeping it all cool will be this Ron Davis radiator....

Almost forgot... the battery will be in the trunk on this one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those interested in learning more about the GT350, especially the R-models, here are a few great books....

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
WOW! Tons of hours. Thanks for sharing makes a gloomy Sunday afternoon bright! Hope to see it in person someday. We live & farm just south of Portland,In. & have a friend that works at Moser. Been there a few times.

If your ever in our neighborhood please stop by.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Chris, very impressive to say the least and I really like those down draft carbs which is certainly icing on the cake for me.

Can't wait to see this all come together!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chris, very impressive to say the least and I really like those down draft carbs which is certainly icing on the cake for me.

Can't wait to see this all come together!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Plan when I get it done is to hit a couple historic tracks each summer, including VIR. Is that near you? If so, I'll have to let you know when I'm there so we can get some track time in it together, just listening to those Webers.

And maybe Tom (@tomster) will want to join me at Sebring and/or Daytona for a little payback for the lead on the new car, too!!!

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Plan when I get it done is to hit a couple historic tracks each summer, including VIR. Is that near you? If so, I'll have to let you know when I'm there so we can get some track time in it together, just listening to those Webers.

And maybe Tom (@tomster) will want to join me at Sebring and/or Daytona for a little payback for the lead on the new car, too!!!
All sounds terrific to me and certainly appreciate your kind offer. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can't wait to hear those Webers singing as that is something that I sure wished that I had done with my car.

:cheers:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

No paybacks necessary. We are enthusiasts. I'm glad to see this allocation go to someone who really appreciates it. As for Daytona, I'm unable to attend the April event. So my next Daytona will be in the fall. I've been wanting to head down to seabring, so maybe that will work. Either way, it would be good to catch up. Let me know your timeline and we can go from there.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
No paybacks necessary. We are enthusiasts. I'm glad to see this allocation go to someone who really appreciates it. As for Daytona, I'm unable to attend the April event. So my next Daytona will be in the fall. I've been wanting to head down to seabring, so maybe that will work. Either way, it would be good to catch up. Let me know your timeline and we can go from there.
Be sure to hit me up, Tom, on any track events you are going to in Florida! And I'm still in for shipping our cars to CA for a Laguna Seca weekend.. Perhaps we can get a group of GT350/R guys for a day rental.. :)
Sponsored