Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Man, magnetic looks great :thumbsup:

If you have not done the lower part of the doors, consider it. You will thank me later :) I am talking about the highlighted area (in addition to front of the rear fenders which I understand you already did).
Thanks for the tip - talked with Tim and he said that is a good area to cover, too. So, he's bringing those panels with him when he returns and will add that to the protective layer on the car so far.
Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Thanks for the tip - talked with Tim and he said that is a good area to cover, too. So, he's bringing those panels with him when he returns and will add that to the protective layer on the car so far.
I caught it on time on mine. After I upgraded to Cup2s, and less than 250 miles I had a couple small chips in that area. I had it covered now (and I also have the rock blockers).

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
This is the second time I installed the splitter (I previously installed and removed it from H2614), so I had a bit of experience and looked closely at how all the tabs work. That and the videos that are on youtube really made the difference.

The first time I installed it (on the old car), it took me just over an hour. This time, it was just under a half hour start-to-finish.

Three tips that I can think of to make it much easier....

1) When you are setting it in place, make sure all of the tabs are going into the correct slots - even the small 1/4" one that is at the front center. You'll probably need to push up slightly as you use the mallet and shop rag method to make the click-tabs lock into place to ensure that the 1/4" tab makes it into the slot properly.

2) Use something sticky in your socket wrench to hold the screws when you're putting in the ones that are up inside the splitter - both the vertical and the 45 degree ones. I use a tiny bit of butyl rubber (3M strip caulk). You can do the same thing with a little tape or other products - just make sure that you're holding those screws steady when getting them up into the holes.

3) A lift is a life saver for this - it's possible to do it on jack stands, but having it on a lift will give you lots of flexibility to get the car to proper work height - I raised and lowered it a couple times during the installation to get it just where I wanted it... especially when reaching inside to get those half moon locking pins in place as you really have to fish your arm in a ways to reach the holes.
Thanks a bunch Chris for highlighting these tips..... :thumbsup:

I will definitely put them to good use once I’m able to free up some time

and set up a lift for the install ........

Are you planning to take your “R” for a test drive soon ? ......... cheers :cheers:

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a busy weekend, but Tim was able to finish the Xpel installation on Saturday and, after sitting a couple days in the hangar where temps hovered around the mid-90s, it was ready to hit the road.

I took it out this morning and did about fifty miles on the backroads - running up through 1st through 5th gears and slowly working my way up to around 4k rpm by the end. Lots of engine-braking and smooth acceleration... just like the break-in regimen I used for H2614. I'll get it out for a few more sessions like this, until hitting the 200 mile mark, then I'll start opening it up a bit more.

One thing, for sure, I can feel the lightness and the difference between this car and the prior one. The steering is definitely lighter, the stickier and wider tires do follow road irregularities a bit more, and it seems to be just a bit more responsive to throttle inputs - likely the lighter and slightly smaller circumference wheels / tires.

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
Glad to see you finally took her for a spin :thumbsup:

I’m doing 16 hr days lately, with the hot weather up here in Montreal

and will have to wait a while before I can take my R for a

shakedown run ..........

your updates Chris are very much appreciated and enjoyed cheers :cheers:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I'm going to close out this thread with a few pics of my car that I took today while out putting some break-in miles on it. Seems as though this journey to bag a base R is finally complete and my plan now is to just enjoy putting miles on it.

Thanks again to all who made this possible!!!!

20180601_162311_zpsvhrb7rkm.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Beautiful car Chris.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Taking it to Supercar Saturday in the morning?
Sponsored