Sponsored

My next convertible ... another Mustang GT? Something else? Misc rambling!

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Have you considered dropping $160K on your next convertible? Saw a BMW i8 convertible for the first time yesterday and it really was an eye-catcher. Plus imagine all the good karma you'd get from downsizing from a V8 to a 3-cylinder hybrid. :crackup:

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
@Concrete GT I'm looking to go with the 10-speed auto, in fact, it's one of my primary motivators (current car is a manual).
You're going to love it....I never thought driving an auto could be this much fun. The more aggressive your input gets the quicker and more aggressive the trans responds.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So it appears that I can move over the following mods from my current ride:

Possibly my Solo II Thunder exhaust with a tip swap[?] (if I got an active exhaust car, wouldn't do this)
According to Jeff with Solo Exhausts, it does! It is - in fact - just a tip swap. Score!

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So the current plan, subject to sudden change ... depending on the [time of] day ... :D

Find a low mileage MY18 CPO car, doesn't __have__ to be a Perf Pack, but it has to have at the very least, these options:

10-speed
3.55 rear
401a
Safe and Smart

Black accent package is fine too, I'd wind up doing black badges, but the wheels are sort of inconsequential (see below).

Color choices:

Magnetic
Silver
White

Any of the above must have a Showstopper Red interior.

Lighting Blue
Orange Fury

Either of those I'd want with just the ebony interior.

Per my previous post, move over many of my parts (wheels/tires, ducts, filter, hood struts, exhaust, etc.), get my Flexfuel tune, new dual tips for exhaust (assuming no AE option).

Then new to this car:

Headers + HFCs (tuned), probably TSP
CDC Lightbar
Custom steering wheel (design, TBD ...)

If it's not a PP car, I might just do a whole BMR or Steeda package that includes matched struts/shocks, mounts, springs, swaybars/links. PP car, probably just springs.

[edit]

Doh! Forgot to mention: if I don't wind up with a PP optioned car, I'll most likely do some PP front calipers, either some black ones custom PC'ed to match the blue or orange - or - red for the neutral colored options (maybe even just some Bullitt calipers that red OOTB).

Hahaha, kind of off topic, but plans for the DDRT:

Swap to the SRT wheel/tire package, they just look so mean with 295s on all four corners (especially on the RTs that are lowered from the factory).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
So the current plan, subject to sudden change ... depending on the [time of] day ... :D

Find a low mileage MY18 CPO car, doesn't __have__ to be a Perf Pack, but it has to have at the very least, these options:

10-speed
3.55 rear
401a
Safe and Smart

Black accent package is fine too, I'd wind up doing black badges, but the wheels are sort of inconsequential (see below).

Color choices:

Magnetic
Silver
White

Any of the above must have a Showstopper Red interior.

Lighting Blue
Orange Fury

Per my previous post, move over many of my parts (wheels/tires, ducts, filter, hood struts, exhaust, etc.), get my Flexfuel tune, new dual tips for exhaust (assuming no AE option).

Then new to this car:

Headers + HFCs (tuned), probably TSP
CDC Lightbar
Custom steering wheel (design, TBD ...)

If it's not a PP car, I might just do a whole BMR or Steeda package that includes matched struts/shocks, mounts, springs, swaybars/links. PP car, probably just springs.

[edit]

Doh! Forgot to mention: if I don't wind up with a PP optioned car, I'll most likely do some PP front calipers, either some black ones custom PC'ed to match the blue or orange - or - red for the neutral colored options (maybe even just some Bullitt calipers that red OOTB).

Hahaha, kind of off topic, but plans for the DDRT:

Swap to the SRT wheel/tire package, they just look so mean with 295s on all four corners (especially on the RTs that are lowered from the factory).
Looks like you have a game plan. Looking forward to seeing the final purchase. :rockon:

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Mask, I own an 18PP Premium GT Vert with Magna ride and active exhaust...it literally has every option you could put on one.

The car was as I mentioned very expensive, about$60K out the door but since I'm gonna keep the wheels and the Active exhaust is PERFECT for a convertible I haven't felt the need to spend an extra 5K or so on these items. No need to.....
I may be headed down exactly the same path, i.e., insanely loaded :D

So let me quote myself and make a few revisions!

Find a low mileage MY18 CPO MY19 car, doesn't __have__ to be a Perf Pack, but it has to have at the very least, these options:

Perf Pack
10-speed
401a
Safe and Smart
Mag Suspension
Active Exhaust
B&O audio

Lighting Blue
Orange Fury

Then new to this car: TBD

[edit]

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
I may be headed down exactly the same path, i.e., insanely loaded :D
Great decision. The ‘insanely loaded’ ‘18+ convertible is the best Mustang that Ford has ever built.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Great decision. The ‘insanely loaded’ ‘18+ convertible is the best Mustang that Ford has ever built.
Pretty stoked, I was kind of shopping more mid-optioned models, but now I'm actually upgrading over my current ride (which was an every option possible 2016 GT convertible PP, Nav, Shaker, ACC, etc.).

Assuming everything works out, I'm in the middle of 1000 things, the last thing I needed was to buy a car right now :D

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Insanely loaded is definitely a good thing.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
OK, I think things are in process enough to disclose my purchase, didn't want to put any kind of bad mojo on it since pickup is still a week away (I managed to do this during prep and travel to a major client, hahaha ...)

I believe this is a __killer__ deal :)

2019 GT Premium Convertible
Orange Fury / Ebony
401a Equip Group
GT Performance Package
10-speed Automatic
Safe & Smart Package
Active Valve Exhaust
Magneride Suspension
B&O Sound System

It's actually used, but I apply that term lightly, given it's a mint, showroom new looking 2019 with only 8 months on the clock and it's sitting with just over 4000 miles!

So with all that, including the upcharge for OF, etc., it has a sticker of $58,620, it's one of those every option convertibles that puts the OTD price over $60K when new.

I scored it for ~$39K ...

So for a ~$20K discount, I only lose about 8 months of warranty, and start with trivial mileage.

I'm swapping over my 20" wheel/tire setup (since my existing car is a PP, the wheels on the new ride are 100% correct). They're MRR M600s which should look amazing on OF, I'll need to pick up some fresh black lugs, and a black badge kit - oh yeah, and finally going to do a SmartTop

**stoked**

"... but weren't you looking at ZL1 convertibles?"

I was, and what I had been coming across was more stripped down GT verts that while substantially cheaper, were also not nearly as comparable - vs. a ZL1, you get a GT without the GTPP, the handling doesn't compare, that even goes more so for Magneride (standard on the ZL1). ZL1 also has a multi-mode exhaust standard, so no AVE on the GT, it's not as comparable.

With a fully loaded GT like above, it matches the ZL1 almost feature for feature - some things are better (the 12" LCD dash, trunk/top space for example). With my 20x10 and 20x11 wheel setup running a 285/305, it even matches the wheel/tire setup. When it was a new, fully optioned 2019 vs. a 1 year used ZL1, and the difference was more like $6K-8K, it was a little food for thought.

When I thought through some "good" 2018 GT deals, the difference got to be way more, but the features weren't comparable.

This super deal I think really tipped the scales, with more or less at feature parity (once I swap wheels and add a SmartTop), and for what I was seeing in the ZL1 used market as $15,000 more for a car I wasn't sure I liked better. The color was a major factor, to get orange on the ZL1 meant a new '19 (at least for now) and that meant +$20K (even with the massive Chevy discounts).

The 800lb gorilla in the room, of course, is the 650HP stock of the ZL1, the GT is down 190HP. I'm going to be Flex tuned, do an X-pipe, drop in filter, intake ducts, and at least around town, with the 3.55 gears, I'd say vs. a ZL1 convertible, it'll be just fun, and probably just as quick/quicker (based on all the times I've seen posted across various forums, except at higher speed rolls, which don't interest me at all).

"... speaking of color, you originally posted silver/gray with red interior or blue / orange, what was the final factor in your choice?"

Car availability / the deal. Seriously, I had a number of color combos I was good with, so the best deal from that list was my primary motivator :).

Though, I'm glad it wound up being something other than a neutral color again, I did back-to-back silver, then black cars, and before that I had yellow, so I was ready to go back that direction, and get something in a bright color, not in the white/black/silver/gray spectrum. I think modern muscle cars can really pull off colors like orange, it's both unique and ol' school classic (the specific execution of this orange with the tri-coat system gives it a wide range of tones, love the shade changes based on lighting).

I'll probably do a couple of custom OF interior pieces, I've been wanting to do a custom steering wheel, maybe carbon + OF leather :D I might add Velossa Ducts again, but I'll get them in matching orange!

I really like the Mustang, how the Coyote delivers power, how it sounds, the general design, the interior, visibility, I even dig on the general Mustang culture around here and online. This is my car + a whole lot better (I'm hoping!).

Seems like decent timing on the purchase too, it'll be around 3-4 years old when the new S650 is introduced.

Side note: since I wound up with a color where my red parts don't work so well, I'm going to sell my Mishimoto catch can (red hoses) and intake tube (also red and not Gen 3 compatible), and my Velossa ducts (once again, red), so if anyone is interested, keep an eye out in the 'for sale' area.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a great deal! The benefits of purchasing used are mind blowing in terms of discounted pricing. Cannot wait to see it. I am "Mustangless" right now after trading in my 2017 Vert. I am getting the itch to get back into one seeing your thread. Please post pics asap!
Sponsored