Sponsored

My next convertible ... another Mustang GT? Something else? Misc rambling!

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Here's the PP components right from Ford, it's quite a few items:

• 19-inch x 9-inch (F)/19-inch X 9.5-inch (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum Wheels
• 255/40 R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Performance Rear Wing
• Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Unique Stability Control, EPAS and ABS Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
Our last items to install are the Ford Performance Radiator and the Power pack 2 upgrade I kicked it up a bit adding Koni, as well as Ford racing and GT350 parts to this above list. Also wing did not come on the Convert.
Sponsored

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I like it, but don’t love it. I’d better at least like it, seeing as how I have $40+k invested in it :crackup: I absolutely LUV the HUD. The one thing about it that I do not like are the big pods right behind the steering wheel. They could stand to be a little smaller and/or lower. Other than that, the 2SS interior is pretty nice, IMHO.

And, yes....Good luck with whatever you choose MaskedRacerX
This is why I went with the Mustang again! I can't stand the hood corrosion on the Stang (I was ready to move on) and was ready to move to an SS, but I think the interior of the Camaro may have been worse to look at.

I don't think GM is investing much into interiors lately. Anyone see the interior of the Silverado? It's really not that great either compared to the RAM or the F150. Same with the Camaro, the Challenger and Mustang interiors are light years ahead.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This is why I went with the Mustang again! I can't stand the hood corrosion on the Stang (I was ready to move on) and was ready to move to an SS, but I think the interior of the Camaro may have been worse to look at.

I don't think GM is investing much into interiors lately. Anyone see the interior of the Silverado? It's really not that great either compared to the RAM or the F150. Same with the Camaro, the Challenger and Mustang interiors are light years ahead.

I've checked out the Mustang vs. Camaro interiors a few times (well, I check out Mustang interior every time I drive it :D) and from a materials, fit and finish, [I believe] they're about the same, I think where the Camaro takes a hit, is the odd design choices: AC vent placement, the pods (like Jim mentioned), weird angles and flow. I think a more traditional design with the existing F&F and it would be right there. The ZL1 uses Alcantara in few places, which I'm not that fond of - great material, just hard to maintain. I've seen a few folks actually swap out to the regular SS panels.

The interior on my wife's '18 DDRT is awesome, good design, materials, the RT uses like a black chrome type finish on the "shiny parts" that I would __love__ to have in my GT. The UConnect system is also fantastic, I've got a little bit of electronics envy :D

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I've checked out the Mustang vs. Camaro interiors a few times (well, I check out Mustang interior every time I drive it :D) and from a materials, fit and finish, [I believe] they're about the same, I think where the Camaro takes a hit, is the odd design choices: AC vent placement, the pods (like Jim mentioned), weird angles and flow. I think a more traditional design with the existing F&F and it would be right there. The ZL1 uses Alcantara in few places, which I'm not that fond of - great material, just hard to maintain. I've seen a few folks actually swap out to the regular SS panels.

The interior on my wife's '18 DDRT is awesome, good design, materials, the RT uses like a black chrome type finish on the "shiny parts" that I would __love__ to have in my GT. The UConnect system is also fantastic, I've got a little bit of electronics envy :D
I agree. It's not the quality of the materials that I'm talking about. It's that hideous design. LOL. I just couldn't get past it. The touch screen just doesn't look right either (again, only my opinion)

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I like it, but don’t love it. I’d better at least like it, seeing as how I have $40+k invested in it :crackup: I absolutely LUV the HUD. The one thing about it that I do not like are the big pods right behind the steering wheel. They could stand to be a little smaller and/or lower. Other than that, the 2SS interior is pretty nice, IMHO.

And, yes....Good luck with whatever you choose MaskedRacerX

Just for the sake of clarity, I never said I didn’t like the Camaro interior. I like it a lot actually. I prefer it to the Mustang interiors I’ve experienced and would say it is on par with, though different from Shelby GT350 interiors. Mine is a 2SS interior so it has better materials than an LT or 1SS trim. The only things that keep me from loving it is the pods that I mentioned and the fact that the center console is so small. GM does cheap out on base trim interiors, but the uplevel interiors tend to be much better appointed. Mine uses high quality leathers, high quality stitching, and has more than a little bit of alcantara. And the alcantara is in places where it won’t experience a lot of wear over the years. I prefer the Camaro 2SS interior trim to the GT interior trims I’ve seen and on par with the GT350 interior trim.

Sponsored

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Just for the sake of clarity, I never said I didn’t like the Camaro interior. I like it a lot actually. I prefer it to the Mustang interiors I’ve experienced and would say it is on par with, though different from Shelby GT350 interiors. Mine is a 2SS interior so it has better materials than an LT or 1SS trim. The only things that keep me from loving it is the pods that I mentioned and the fact that the center console is so small. GM does cheap out on base trim interiors, but the uplevel interiors tend to be much better appointed. Mine uses high quality leathers, high quality stitching, and has more than a little bit of alcantara. And the alcantara is in places where it won’t experience a lot of wear over the years. I prefer the Camaro 2SS interior trim to the GT interior trims I’ve seen and on par with the GT350 interior trim.
I assume you have both a 5.0 and a 2SS?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_0890.JPG
Mask, I own an 18PP Premium GT Vert with Magna ride and active exhaust...it literally has every option you could put on one....it also had a price tag that was into GT350 territory, lol, . Anyway I just wanted to give you my impressions since I also previously owned a 15 Premium GT Vert and I will tell you there is a huge difference performance wise when it comes to acceleration. The car is a pleasure to drive stock and the only mod I've done yet is the FRPP lowering springs for Magna ride.

I was never a huge fan of the PP wheels but since my set of MRR350 wheels went to the salvage yard with the rest of my 2015 Vert I decided to keep them for a while and wrap them in a 275/40 front and 305/40 rear set up. They look pretty good with the Black top and Crimson car.
The car was as I mentioned very expensive, about$60K out the door but since I'm gonna keep the wheels and the Active exhaust is PERFECT for a convertible I haven't felt the need to spend an extra 5K or so on these items. No need to.....

This car is quick as a whip due to the 10spd auto. and will leave my 2009 Shelby GT500 with 600rwhp holding it jock from a dig... The tranny can get very rowdy when driven hard and downshifts much more aggressively than the old 6R80....I get pops, crackles and snorts out of it which when your top is down makes for a great experience....The only way I can really put it is that it is a totally different and better driving experience than the 15-17GT's....

All that said I understand longing for the ZL1, but before you do wait until the new 2020 GT500 Convertible comes out...lol...
IMG_0889.JPG
This is the issue I am facing with my 2017... I really like it overall, but if you are looking for more than just a gentle cruiser you will find yourself wanting to change the exhaust, add new suspension, add a tune or ford power pack 2/3...etc etc... with the 2018/19 platform you get all of that included. The active exhaust is an understated value, especially when it comes to the convertible.. the ability to turn it off and on is really a great feature.
As far as price goes...I always buy used and try to find CPO, so the cost of a 2018 at this stage should be coming down at least 10k with the 19's maturing and 2020's coming out....

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
This is the issue I am facing with my 2017... I really like it overall, but if you are looking for more than just a gentle cruiser you will find yourself wanting to change the exhaust, add new suspension, add a tune or ford power pack 2/3...etc etc... with the 2018/19 platform you get all of that included. The active exhaust is an understated value, especially when it comes to the convertible.. the ability to turn it off and on is really a great feature.
As far as price goes...I always buy used and try to find CPO, so the cost of a 2018 at this stage should be coming down at least 10k with the 19's maturing and 2020's coming out....
Yeah a good find on a pre owned 18/19 Gt convertible would be an awesome buy especially if you could find one with the active exhaust and magna ride.

I don't think I was understating the actually "driving experience" between the 15-17 cars and the 18/19 cars....at least with the 10 speed auto. vs the 6R80....it's almost night and day when your doing some spirited driving..

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Since we are talking convertible I’d say either mustang or Camaro since you lose the best part of the mustang - the fastback.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Vehicle(s)
16 PP GT Convertible, 2003 Cobra, 13 Focus ST, 05 Thunderbird, 72 SS 454, 68 Camaro convertible, 66 Spitfire
As a former Chevy guy let me say that the new Camaro's styling irritates me. When it was first designed back in the 60s it was stuck having to share the cowl with the Chevy II/Nova. The designers knew that the cowl height to windshield height was not optimal for a sports car, but it had to be done. Now when they re-introduced the car, they could have fixed this but instead made the choice to make it even worse. I would suggest renting a Camaro to drive around a bit before buying. If your are comfortable with it, go for it. They just don't feel right to me.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hmm, now I've been finding super low mileage MY18+ GTs for $38K, including a PP car, now we're talking $18K-20K difference for the same used ZL1. That's not insignificant - it's not so much the money itself, it's just my perspective on how much more is the ownership experience enhanced by that ~$20K. I can drop $5K on the GT, do a new set of 20x10/20x11 wheels, another 285/305 tire setup, headers, intake, Flextune, a top module, springs, still save $15K and with a 3:55 rear + those mods, I suspect it's just about as fast around town (< 50MPH) as a ZL1 and probably sounds amazing.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, now I've been finding super low mileage MY18+ GTs for $38K, including a PP car, now we're talking $18K-20K difference for the same used ZL1. That's not insignificant - it's not so much the money itself, it's just my perspective on how much more is the ownership experience enhanced by that ~$20K. I can drop $5K on the GT, do a new set of 20x10/20x11 wheels, another 285/305 tire setup, headers, intake, Flextune, a top module, springs, still save $15K and with a 3:55 rear + those mods, I suspect it's just about as fast around town (< 50MPH) as a ZL1 and probably sounds amazing.
:thumbsup::rockon:

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So it appears that I can move over the following mods from my current ride:

Wheels/tires
Catch can
Hood struts
Velossa ducts (assuming I get a color where red works ...)
Possibly my Solo II Thunder exhaust with a tip swap[?] (if I got an active exhaust car, wouldn't do this)
Talked to my tuner about a tune swap (and adding a Flextune), very inexpensive
Technically I could move my BMR springs (assuming no Mag option), but that's so labor intensive, it would be better to just buy new springs.

I mean, it's definitely a factor, kind of nice not just giving these away, or trying to manage selling them used, etc.

The plot thickens ... :D

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
So it appears that I can move over the following mods from my current ride:

Wheels/tires
Catch can
Hood struts
Velossa ducts (assuming I get a color where red works ...)
Possibly my Solo II Thunder exhaust with a tip swap[?] (if I got an active exhaust car, wouldn't do this)
Talked to my tuner about a tune swap (and adding a Flextune), very inexpensive
Technically I could move my BMR springs (assuming no Mag option), but that's so labor intensive, it would be better to just buy new springs.

I mean, it's definitely a factor, kind of nice not just giving these away, or trying to manage selling them used, etc.

The plot thickens ... :D
I can't remember if you were looking to go auto or manual? Either way sounds like your going to build a sweet ride. I'm interested in the Flex fuel tune but I want to make sure it doesn't have any quirks. I'm super pleased with the 18 Vert and still quite impressed with how quick it is.
Sponsored