Sponsored

My first attempt at keeping black car swirl/scratch free?

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
Some excellent additional points, WD and to those I would add nitrile gloves (in case you forget to take off any rings.) I don't wear a watch because I have a tendency to forget it's on and I end up dunking it. :-)

Different strokes for different folks always works for me and car washing is no different. But there is an obvious difference in procedure for a really filthy car as opposed to a merely dusty one. Much more care of the mitt and soap solution is necessary for the really dirty vehicle. Those always get foamed, rinsed, washed, and rinsed here.

Most of us though will never let our special cars get even remotely dirty so a good rinse, no foam, a light wash, a final rinse and blow dry is more than adequate 99 percent of the time.
some great points,
however someone earlier in this thread said swirls/scratches are caused by big/heavy dirt particles and not dust, in which case a dusty car doesnt require a pre wash?

admittedly, im getting a bit paranoid that im starting to want to wash my car less often and let it be a little dusty as I think it still looks good

edit: this post reminds me need to get a better step/box so that I can reach above the car without being a circus performer
Sponsored

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
random and potentially silly question:
if I see a mark on the car, I rub it a little with my finger to check if its a scratch or dirt/cobweb

is this a really bad thing to do eg rubbing it in? or it doesnt really matter as im not doing large areas

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Pre wash takes 7 minutes from mix to rinse. You'll never know if the car has only dust or some dirt etc IMHO just pre wash it every time. It's a car...it'll get dusty and pick stuff up etc nothing to worry about. Key is to wash often so you're minimising time and potential damage associated with cleaning a really dirty car.

By rubbing with your finger you're just doing what you're trying so hard not to do with two buckets, clean gear etc. A light touch is ok, even a tentative fingernail to see if it comes off or it's a scratch, but if unsure just use a non abrasive cleaner or tar/bug remover.

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Pre wash takes 7 minutes from mix to rinse. You'll never know if the car has only dust or some dirt etc IMHO just pre wash it every time. It's a car...it'll get dusty and pick stuff up etc nothing to worry about. Key is to wash often so you're minimising time and potential damage associated with cleaning a really dirty car.

By rubbing with your finger you're just doing what you're trying so hard not to do with two buckets, clean gear etc. A light touch is ok, even a tentative fingernail to see if it comes off or it's a scratch, but if unsure just use a non abrasive cleaner or tar/bug remover.
Thanks, that's just reassured me not to do it again!

And do intend to prewash regardless

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Work on the assumption that anything that touches the paint has the potential to marr it.

With that statement in mind, when I have helped to educate other people I have explained that washing a car is like washing your face (admittedly some care about their face more than others ... lol).

A few simple analogies then help them to start getting their thoughts going :
  • If your face was covered in grit, would you start scrubbing away with a sponge ?
  • If your face sponge was dirty, would you take it back to your face without rinsing it ?
  • How about if you dropped your face sponge ?
  • If you are washing your face, would you suddenly give your arse a good scrubbing then immediately return to your face ?
  • Etc, etc ...
Also consider that if you scratch your face, after a few days it’s gone. If you scratch your car you have to either fix it, or look at it kicking yourself until you do fix it ... lol

As soon as you start to think like that, you soon start to question your technique and everything you use that touches the paint.

The more you can rinse off / foam off / power jet off before touching it, the better ... :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Work on the assumption that anything that touches the paint has the potential to marr it.

With that statement in mind, when I have helped to educate other people I have explained that washing a car is like washing your face (admittedly some care about their face more than others ... lol).

A few simple analogies then help them to start getting their thoughts going :
  • If your face was covered in grit, would you start scrubbing away with a sponge ?
  • If your face sponge was dirty, would you take it back to your face without rinsing it ?
  • How about if you dropped your face sponge ?
  • If you are washing your face, would you suddenly give your arse a good scrubbing then immediately return to your face ?
  • Etc, etc ...
Also consider that if you scratch your face, after a few days it’s gone. If you scratch your car you have to either fix it, or look at it kicking yourself until you do fix it ... lol

As soon as you start to think like that, you soon start to question your technique and everything you use that touches the paint.

The more you can rinse off / foam off / power jet off before touching it, the better ... :like:

Excellent!!

My brand new sexy car is the same as a pimply teenage pizza face!:crackup:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
some great points,
however someone earlier in this thread said swirls/scratches are caused by big/heavy dirt particles and not dust, in which case a dusty car doesnt require a pre wash?

admittedly, im getting a bit paranoid that im starting to want to wash my car less often and let it be a little dusty as I think it still looks good

edit: this post reminds me need to get a better step/box so that I can reach above the car without being a circus performer
Platform or Elton John shoes ?

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
random and potentially silly question:
if I see a mark on the car, I rub it a little with my finger to check if its a scratch or dirt/cobweb

is this a really bad thing to do eg rubbing it in? or it doesnt really matter as im not doing large areas
Don't do this shit. Don't ever rub / touch the car when it's dirty.

This is something old people / women who know nothing about paintwork tend to do. I'm not saying this to insult, it's just something that I've noticed.

Waterless wash is also a big no no in my books. I'd just leave the car dirty before I would ever even think of doing this.

Sponsored

Zach@Granger

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
My first job at the car dealership was in detail before I had my license. I saved up my money and ended up purchasing a 15 year old black 1997 Cobra with 30k miles. I loved that car.

Every time I would wash it I would notice a new scratch or swirl, etc. It drove me nuts. There's no color that looks better clean though.

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
20210206_131639.jpg

Ive had to leave the car outside for a few days while the garage was unaccessible, and it rained a bit
photos make it look absolutely horrible, but from far away the car looks amazing

id rather a dirty car with with good paint over a clean car with swirls/scratched paint any day of the week,

ordered some pre foam
Will be washing it soon

Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Johnny it appears the issue here is not with how to safely remove dirt from your car, it's more fundamental than that. The issue is one of priorities ie you're allowing objects to impede the Mustang's ability to access the garage :frown: :giggle:

Bowden's Own is my go to gear, mainly because their stuff works, it's on special regularly at Super Cheap, and their service is excellent. I do want to experiment with other products but if you'd find interior/exterior guides in a logical 'what does what and when' format it might be helpful check out their website. There's a product called Happy Endings - their names are thematic and lame and they know it ie After Glow spray and the Big Softie cloth - which seems ideal for vehicles that catch a bit of dirt from time to time it may interest you.

Not wishing to state the obvious but you know you'll need a pressure washer and cannon for the foam?

It might also be worth considering PPF on at least the front bar and leading edges, I had mine done in both ceramic and PPF and consider the PPF in particular as a great long term maintenance investment. Min sting is about $1k but it's cheap compared to getting a front respray and possible issues if it's not done right.

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Johnny it appears the issue here is not with how to safely remove dirt from your car, it's more fundamental than that. The issue is one of priorities ie you're allowing objects to impede the Mustang's ability to access the garage :frown: :giggle:

Bowden's Own is my go to gear, mainly because their stuff works, it's on special regularly at Super Cheap, and their service is excellent. I do want to experiment with other products but if you'd find interior/exterior guides in a logical 'what does what and when' format it might be helpful check out their website. There's a product called Happy Endings - their names are thematic and lame and they know it ie After Glow spray and the Big Softie cloth - which seems ideal for vehicles that catch a bit of dirt from time to time it may interest you.

Not wishing to state the obvious but you know you'll need a pressure washer and cannon for the foam?

It might also be worth considering PPF on at least the front bar and leading edges, I had mine done in both ceramic and PPF and consider the PPF in particular as a great long term maintenance investment. Min sting is about $1k but it's cheap compared to getting a front respray and possible issues if it's not done right.
yes, I do have an old noname pressure washer, was going to bin it and get a new one because its rated at 2900psi which some people said it was too strong, however, after sticking my hand in front of it, there is no way its 2900psi, + it came with a snow foam accessory (didnt know i had one) and it also had a accessory which fans out the water pressure so I thought I would give it a go

ive also got meguires hybrid wax, cheap microfibres, a wash mitt, and the big green water towel,

however, one of the family member wants a leaf blower, so I might get a leaf blower and see how good that is , because less contact is better, even if it meant a few drops remainined

you are right!, It was like leaving a child out at night , and it pained me, luckily its only once or a few times a year,
also, there is a chance im going to have to leave the car ,and move for 6 months later this year, so those 6 months the car wont be driven :crying: which also pains me

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
yes, I do have an old noname pressure washer, was going to bin it and get a new one because its rated at 2900psi which some people said it was too strong, however, after sticking my hand in front of it, there is no way its 2900psi, + it came with a snow foam accessory (didnt know i had one) and it also had a accessory which fans out the water pressure so I thought I would give it a go
I wouldn't worry too much about PSI, there is a lot more to it than that.

I think a far more telling value for washing a car is the flow rate :like:

Also consider that the pressure actually hitting the panel is massively influenced by the design of the nozzle that the water is being forced through.

I have a quality washer, but it's still at the bottom end of the spec range when it comes to semi professional / professional gear.

Mine (Nilfisk 140) is rated at 140 bar and 500 litres per hour. I have car specific nozzles (upper body and right angled underbody) which I will use on the car quite happily. I have other nozzles (specifically the one recommended for removing gum off pavements) that I wouldn't dare take close to the car ... lol

If I compare my specs to a 'budget' washer the pressure may be similar, but the flowrate difference is huge.

My washer is lasting surprisingly well (heading towards its 10th birthday) and I don't want it to break, but if I was buying again I think I will find it hard to resist a Kranzle ... :sunglasses:

In general, the foam guns / bottle that come as standard with a washer aren't very good. Just check yours out - I'm not saying yours is bad but if it is and you are unaware, it could give you a false impression of what a foam gun should do :like:

Sponsored