Sponsored

My experience shopping for a sports car in this segment (and why I'm leaning GT350)

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
I disagree, but considering you own both cars, your word will hold more weight. I drove a GT with a performance pack and I consider that to be 70% of the GT350 experience with the right tires.

Regardless of the choice the OP makes, out of all the ones listed - you're not making a wrong choice.
It has a couple of different feel and they like to be driven very differently but I agree that the OP has some great choices.
Sponsored

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I personally would buy a GT350 or the Corvette. I had a buddy that built an 818 and that thing is full on attention getter and was fast as hell. His was over 400hp at the tires, had a custom widebody on it, and a bunch of stuff. It was probably one of the nicest ones built but it was still a kit car. It was just not anywhere near the same fit, finish, etc as a production car.

He had a ton in it, everything was done top notch but it was always fiddling with this or fiddling with that. He eventually sold it to a guy in California and ended up buying a Copperhead Viper and is much happier overall.

Here is a picture. Custom paint, custom widebody, carbon side vents there were a set of only two ever made by ff, upgraded engine, turbos, trans, brakes, etc. It was crazy fast.

818.jpg

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Why didn't you test drive the Camaro ZL1? That is really the closest thing to the GT350 IMO. In fact, one of those 2 cars will replace my SCAT Pack Charger next year.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Why didn't you test drive the Camaro ZL1? That is really the closest thing to the GT350 IMO. In fact, one of those 2 cars will replace my SCAT Pack Charger next year.
I for one could not bring myself to own a car that really limits my ability so see.
Iā€˜ve asked owners how they adapted to the lack of visibility? Answers were ā€œyou get used to itā€.
If the ZL1 Camaro goes thru a design change that would fix the above issue, Iā€™d be looking at it as well, what a car.

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
I for one could not bring myself to own a car that really limits my ability so see.
Iā€˜ve asked owners how they adapted to the lack of visibility? Answers were ā€œyou get used to itā€.
If the ZL1 Camaro goes thru a design change that would fix the above issue, Iā€™d be looking at it as well, what a car.
Same here.

Maybe one point to add - I just didn't find the Corvette nearly as fun as the GT350 on the road (I say this as a former C6 owner, its not some kind of Ford/Chevy bias). Some of these things are hard to quantify, but I wonder if I also wouldn't find the Camaro as fun as the GT350 for some reason.

Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I'm gonna throw a few observations out here-

1) As a current ND Miata owner, it is an amazing car. I'm selling mine because I need to be able to carry my 1 kid in the back in a pinch (actually I'm really excited to take him in a 'vroom vroom' car). That being said, I test drove a GT350 the other day, and getting back in my Miata everything felt....slow. The GT350 is a definite upgrade. But again on the plus side of the ND, the convertible top is awesome if you live somewhere you can use it *cough CA cough*.

2) The GT350 is awesome, and the Mach is not nearly as exciting a replacement- I'm not going to argue that point. BUT. If you are considering buying this car in the next year....consider buying the Mach. As a value perspective, I am paying $53k for a brand new car that does literally everything the GT350 is, minus the Voodoo. And the Voodoo is awesome, no quibbles. But last I checked, the best I could find on a 2019 GT350 on autotrader was $61k- this is a car that would probably have been ~$45 to $50k pre pandemic prices. Used car prices are insane and used GT350 prices are even more so.

3) Coming from the Miata, every car is a big car. I bet the Lotus was just a ton of fun to drive. Of the muscle cars out there, I think the Mustang is the best option. The real problem ties back to point #2, which is that unless you buy new, you are going to get hosed on pricing. The market is just terrible.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Same here.

Maybe one point to add - I just didn't find the Corvette nearly as fun as the GT350 on the road (I say this as a former C6 owner, its not some kind of Ford/Chevy bias). Some of these things are hard to quantify, but I wonder if I also wouldn't find the Camaro as fun as the GT350 for some reason.
Iā€˜ve never been a brand loyalists with cars or motorcycles. Iā€™ve chosen what Iā€™ve thought was best for us at the time.
Cars and trucks have included Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Datsun and Nissan.
Motorcycles have included Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph, Ducati and KTM.
Iā€˜m sure Iā€™ve missed some but you get the idea.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman

1) As a current ND Miata owner, it is an amazing car. I'm selling mine because I need to be able to carry my 1 kid in the back in a pinch (actually I'm really excited to take him in a 'vroom vroom' car). That being said, I test drove a GT350 the other day, and getting back in my Miata everything felt....slow. The GT350 is a definite upgrade. But again on the plus side of the ND, the convertible top is awesome if you live somewhere you can use it *cough CA cough*.

2) The GT350 is awesome, and the Mach is not nearly as exciting a replacement- I'm not going to argue that point. BUT. If you are considering buying this car in the next year....consider buying the Mach. As a value perspective, I am paying $53k for a brand new car that does literally everything the GT350 is, minus the Voodoo. And the Voodoo is awesome, no quibbles. But last I checked, the best I could find on a 2019 GT350 on autotrader was $61k- this is a car that would probably have been ~$45 to $50k pre pandemic prices. Used car prices are insane and used GT350 prices are even more so.

3) Coming from the Miata, every car is a big car. I bet the Lotus was just a ton of fun to drive. Of the muscle cars out there, I think the Mustang is the best option. The real problem ties back to point #2, which is that unless you buy new, you are going to get hosed on pricing. The market is just terrible.

Great post Kermut:
I was able to drive a ND Miata back to back with my GT350 in the same curvy roads in the North Georgia mountains. The ND was an absolute Blast! The car felt like you were breaking the speed limit when you were actually DOING the speed limit on the twisties. The Shelby did NOT feel like I was going fast. I finally got what all of the Miata folks have been saying for so long... you have to drive one to understand the Miata experience.
What a Fun Car.........!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I keep hearing about the Miata feeling you are going faster than you are.
Please explain how thatā€™s a good thing. Iā€™ve always looked at that statement as a reference to a sub par vehicle.

Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I keep hearing about the Miata feeling you are going faster than you are.
Please explain how thatā€™s a good thing. Iā€™ve always looked at that statement as a reference to a sub par vehicle.
Itā€™s a good thing- it means driving at low speeds is exciting, especially with the top down. You feel like you are doing 45mph at 30. And in an urban environment with low speed limits that translates into more fun more of the time.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars

ā€¦ last I checked, the best I could find on a 2019 GT350 on autotrader was $61k- this is a car that would probably have been ~$45 to $50k pre pandemic prices. Used car prices are insane and used GT350 prices are even more so.
Yes used car prices are insane, GT350s are not being effected by that normal rise. The prices are the reflection of how historic the car was and the vehicles holding their value. I wouldnā€™t expect to see even base model 2019-2020ā€™s to be in the $45-50k range anytime soon, even after prices drop for regular vehicles. $61k for a 2019 GT350 base is a fair price.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Yes used car prices are insane, GT350s are not being effected by that normal rise. The prices are the reflection of how historic the car was and the vehicles holding their value. I wouldnā€™t expect to see even base model 2019-2020ā€™s to be in the $45-50k range anytime soon, even after prices drop for regular vehicles. $61k for a 2019 GT350 base is a fair price.
Agree to disagree. I think the price on the GT350's will drop like a rock when the special edition S650 comes out, if not before, and I don't want to be holding the bag when it does. Again they are cool cars, but the regular GT350 wasn't a limited edition or anything.

GTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Agree to disagree. I think the price on the GT350's will drop like a rock when the special edition S650 comes out, if not before, and I don't want to be holding the bag when it does. Again they are cool cars, but the regular GT350 wasn't a limited edition or anything.
Limited edition matters, but really what matters in this case is the experience. To say the special edition S650 is an interesting statement as the GT500 was released and has yet to impact GT350 sales in a negative manner.

Now if they make an S650 with a flat plane crank and not appreciably more overweight, then you might have an argument. Easy and very relatable example of this is the Porsche GT4. The 981 hasnā€™t dropped much even with the 718 being released now. It was lighter and more raw, delivering a different experience for the driver. I imagine the same will be the case for the next generation Mustang.
Not saying the values wonā€™t drop a bit, but like a rock is a bit of a reach
Sponsored