My car sure does "ping" a lot

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt, 2011 Lexus is250
So what did you exactly do? Youse a MAF cleaner? Just pulled it out the intake tube and sprayed it?
I’m curious too, I’ve always had a ping but have always used esso 93 as well so switching to 91 could possibly be a fix for me
Sponsored

OP
OP
Weyland-Yutani

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
So what did you exactly do? Youse a MAF cleaner? Just pulled it out the intake tube and sprayed it?
Sprayed all over, wiped the diode looking thing with a foam swab, and let it sit a while to evaporate. I'm guessing it was it IAT sensor and maybe the actual MAFS is hidden in the duct. Not sure.

CR151S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP M6
Do you have video of the sound?

Mine does something similar. The tuner I took it to saw no codes and doesn’t recognize the sound as detonation. A/F ratio in good range if not a little rich.

always on chevron 91 or e85

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This isn't octane related pinging or anything. Its the cam phasers making noise. There was a TSB for this way back in 2011 for the Gen1 car, those were WAY louder. Ford did a reflash on the PCM that was able to quiet them down. Since then you still can hear them as stated around the 2500 RPMish range when driving. They are louder when the engine is cold. It takes time for oil to get way up to them. But you are hearing the cam phasers moving the cams around. This is NORMAL. Completely normal. I have owned 3 2011s, a 2012, a 2014, a 2017 and now a 2022 coyote GT and they have all done this exactly the same way. Every single one does it and if you say "mine doesnt", youre lying or you are partially or completely deaf.

Also to note, I have removed my hood blanket from my 22GT and I can hear them quite a bit more since then. Im on full E85, nothing would be knocking or pinging related to octane. The cam timing is changed by the phasers and they are just noisy.
Sponsored

Last edited: