Mustangs In NASCAR???

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Its a tube chassis car with sheet metal and decals attached.
Yeah, I totally understand that. But they totally messed up on the image on the skin as it is all over the place and does not represent an actual model of this car. Half GT, half GT350. That was my point.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Those Daytona cars were all one-offs. Next week at Atlanta is when you will see the new 2019 NASCARs (unrestricted).

NASCAR
Roush

I don't follow NASCAR and the Daytona 500 was the first race I watched in probably 4 years. I am a Formula1 fan and follow the sport religiously. This years preseason is already captivating. I'll watch a little bit of Atlanta Motor Speedway's NASCAR race and check out the new cars, etc. To see what the new rules are all about when applied to the tarmac.

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Those Daytona cars were all one-offs. Next week at Atlanta is when you will see the new 2019 NASCARs (unrestricted).

NASCAR
Roush

I don't follow NASCAR and the Daytona 500 was the first race I watched in probably 4 years. I am a Formula1 fan and follow the sport religiously. This years preseason is already captivating. I'll watch a little bit of Atlanta Motor Speedway's NASCAR race and check out the new cars, etc. To see what the new rules are all about when applied to the tarmac.
I too am interested to see how the new package performs at Atlanta. I'm a religious F1 fan as well but watch pretty much every NASCAR because I'm just an all-around fan of motorsports. It produced a pretty entertaining All-Star race last year but I'm worried applying it to every track longer than a mile may have been a gut-reaction by NASCAR. We'll see how it goes.

(P.S. the cars next week and at every track longer than a mile will be restricted to 550hp by use of a smaller tapered spacer, they're just doing away with the traditional restrictor plate after this year's Daytona 500 and using the tapered spacer in it's place at the two plate tracks.)

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Looked like forty cars punched out on the same die set and then assigned decals according to auto sponsor. Nothing stock about them. I just want to know where I can buy a Camry 2 door V8 with a manual trans. (SARCASM):crazy:
Bingo, since the inception of NASCAR that's what racing cars have become. All the same with stickers. Long gone are the days of real stock car racing. Back when Petty, Yarborough, the Allison's drove actual cars built to race, and the old saying of the car companies was "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday".

OP, since Ford is moving away from all cars except the Mustang they knew they would have to field a Mustang. I'm sure nobody wants to see a Ford Edge on the track/ :)

Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
From what I understand, the front body work is about the only difference in these cars. NASCAR tightly controls body shape in order to create a field of cars that are aerodynamically homogeneous. With all the rules, they are basically spec cars. Winning comes down to race strategy, driver's ability, and who can squeeze the most HP out of their engines while following strict rules regarding their build.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
From what I understand, the front body work is about the only difference in these cars. NASCAR tightly controls body shape in order to create a field of cars that are aerodynamically homogeneous. With all the rules, they are basically spec cars. Winning comes down to race strategy, driver's ability, and who can squeeze the most HP out of their engines while following strict rules regarding their build.
That's it. A closed wheel form of Indy Cart. Nothing stock about them aside from the company logo.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Bingo, since the inception of NASCAR that's what racing cars have become. All the same with stickers. Long gone are the days of real stock car racing. Back when Petty, Yarborough, the Allison's drove actual cars built to race, and the old saying of the car companies was "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday".

OP, since Ford is moving away from all cars except the Mustang they knew they would have to field a Mustang. I'm sure nobody wants to see a Ford Edge on the track/ :)
True and sad I quit watching nascar when Richard Petty retired there all a bunch of cry babies driving cookie cutter cars.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That is hideous! Looked like a Civic with Mustang body kit.

I'll take that over a Monte Carlo with a Mustang nose grafted on.

Just use the TA2 bodywork if you want a tube frame Mustang.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
NASCAR died when Dale hit the wall. Toyota finished it off. NASCAR is stupid AF and they could make every car a Mustang fake and I wouldn't watch.

Sponsored

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
As long as there is at least one Mustang in front of all of the Camaros and Camrys, that is all that matters.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
NASCAR died when Dale hit the wall. Toyota finished it off. NASCAR is stupid AF and they could make every car a Mustang fake and I wouldn't watch.
Earnhardt's death came well after cookie cutter cars started. Go back to 1988 when Pontiac enters their Grand Prix, the first FWD vehicle to enter NASCAR as a RWD. In 1998 Ford followed suit killing the T-bird and presenting the Ford Taurus (never a four door to begin with) another FWD that enters NASCAR as a "STOCK CAR". So between all of this and the whining and crying by big money racing teams about one brand being more aerodynamic than another we have the crap cars of today. Heck the issue over restricter plates goes back the early 70's when one of the GM builders showed up at Daytona with a 7.0L big block and stole the show. Big blocks soon after were required to run a restricter plate. Much of this has developed over time to what we have today. Earnhardt and Bonnet and Orr (just three to list) have had a greater impact on safety of the vehicles and the tracks than anything else. I have no issues with safety innovations. But to blame Earnhardt for the cars today is IMHO stretching it.

I am no Earnhardt fan. Never was. In fact I believe Earnhardt is 1/2 responsible for his own death in 2001. The other half lies on NASCAR for not black flagging his ass for blocking over and over and over and over and over for those last 3-5 laps. I don't blame Sterling Marlin. I would have put Earnhardt into the wall as well. After all that 's racing as some would say.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I tried watching NASCRAP for half of a season about 25 years ago. Even then it was just a hillbilly version of as the world turns. The whole thing is a joke, the real daytime soaps have less backstabbing and plot twists than these fake athletes. Now I just tell others what the N.A.S.C.A.R. letters actually stand for "Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks"

Last edited:

florida _mel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0l 2004 Town Car
And its mostly paint (trompe l'oeil) to give the impression that it is a stock car.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
In fact I believe Earnhardt is 1/2 responsible for his own death in 2001
I believe he was fully responsible. He was too proud (it was reported he thought the straps would interfere with his head movement) to wear a HANS device, which probably would have saved his life.
Sponsored