Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
FORD NASCAR MUSTANG REVEALED; WORLD’S BEST-SELLING SPORTS COUPE READY FOR CUP COMPETITION IN 2019

FP_MENCS_Studio_2.jpg

• Ford unveils the new NASCAR Mustang that will compete in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in 2019 for employees at the company’s World Headquarters
  • World’s best-selling sports coupe moves to America’s most popular form of racing – for the first time ever – debuting at 2019 Daytona 500 in February
  • Ford Performance and Ford Design teams worked together on new model to create competitive race car that remains true to its heritage
DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 9, 2018 – Ford today revealed its all-new Mustang NASCAR Cup race car, the first time Mustang – the world’s best-selling sports car – will compete in NASCAR’s top-level Cup racing series.

“Mustang has raced since it was first sold in 1964,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford’s executive vice president, Product Development and Purchasing, who was on hand to help unveil the car. “After more than a half-century, it feels great to finally let Mustang run in the top echelon of America’s most popular stock car racing series.”

Even before Mustang became a global icon, its first competition was in 1964, when it surprisingly won the Tour de France Automobile, a grueling 4,000 mile, 10-day rally. Soon after, it began a racing legacy in SCCA Trans-Am, IMSA, NHRA, Formula Drift and NASCAR Xfinity – NASCAR’s second tier series.

“Ever since we announced in April that Mustang would be going to the Cup level in 2019, we’ve heard nothing but positive feedback,” said Mark Rushbrook, global director, Ford Performance Motorsports. “Our Ford Performance team has worked hard with the Ford Design team to create a Mustang that will be competitive on the track while remaining true to its proud heritage. We can’t wait to see it winning races in the NASCAR Cup Series next year.”

Ford Design and Ford Performance worked carefully to translate Mustang’s signature style to meet NASCAR rules, ensuring Mustang will look as great on the oval as it does on the street.

All 13 Ford drivers currently competing in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series were on hand for the unveiling for employees at the company’s World Headquarters, along with team owners and NASCAR executives.

“We look forward to seeing the Ford Mustang, a cultural icon, on the track in the most competitive series in all of motorsports,” said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer. “Our sport eagerly anticipates the performance, style and fanfare the Mustang will bring to the track each weekend beginning at the 2019 Daytona 500.”

Mustang has been competing full-time in the NASCAR Xfinity Series since 2011 and has won a championship in all but one season. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. won back-to-back driver’s championships in 2011 and 2012, while Roger Penske has claimed the owner’s title in four of the last five years.

Today’s reveal comes on the heels of a celebration of the 10 millionth Mustang off the assembly line in Flat Rock, Mich., on Wednesday.

The first race for the new NASCAR Mustang will be the Daytona 500 on Feb. 17, 2019.

FP_MENCS_19_FRAP02.jpg
FP_MENCS_19_FRAP03.jpg
FP_MENCS_19_FRAP05.jpg
FP_MENCS_19_FRAP11.jpg
FP_MENCS_19_FRAP18.jpg
FP_MENCS_19_FRAP23.jpg
FP_MENCS_19_FRAP25.jpg
FP_MENCS_Studio_1.jpg
FP_MENCS_Studio_2.jpg
FP_MENCS_Track_1.jpg
FP_MENCS_TRACK_2.jpg
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
It's about time,
also gearing up for the sedans departure

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
It seems they compromised on the headlight design for the sake of aero, something Chevy probably should've done even though the ZL1 looks so badass.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
It seems they compromised on the headlight design for the sake of aero, something Chevy probably should've done even though the ZL1 looks so badass.
The rear side windows and rear window don't look any different than every other NASCAR blob, only the front has Mustang looks...

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
The curve of the fake headlights makes them look cross-eyed. Love it.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
The rear side windows and rear window don't look any different than every other NASCAR blob, only the front has Mustang looks...
That's what I was thinking. The straight front-on shot looks Mustang, but pretty much any other angle just looks standard NASCAR, which is how NASCAR rolls I guess.

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
That's what I was thinking. The straight front-on shot looks Mustang, but pretty much any other angle just looks standard NASCAR, which is how NASCAR rolls I guess.
Right, the manufacturers really only have (relative) design freedom when it comes to the front end. The rest of it is pretty strict. The silhouette is based on a template and the rest of the bodywork is highly regulated because teams can find big aero advantages there. I'm actually surprised with the amount of detail they were able to put onto the "door" panels. But yes, the design rules are why the rear ends always end up looking goofy and smooshed.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
The only way that this is of any benefit to FOMOCO is with wins over the course of the season .

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
That looks damn good! It's cool that they kept the "dive planes" from the GT350 fascia!

Anyone have pictures of the rear end?

JR

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I wish showroom stock/bolt on modded was a class that was much more popular. I'm of the opinion that it would be TONS more fun watching cars on track driven by professional drivers using cars like many of us have on 6G.

Sponsored

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
glad they kept the MY15 to MY17 / GT350 headlight look / angle on the fenders, the angle on the MY18 / MY19 does not seem to flow nicely in my mind.

B pillar backwards its an abomination, but picking thats just because of the rules.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That car has 0 parts from Ford in it.

NASCAR is a spec-series, all the vehicles are the same. That isn't a Mustang, it's a NASCAR.

I'd bet 5$ the actual race car's front end doesn't look like anything you see in those pictures. It will be just like every other NASCAR, identical bodies with some paint that kinda makes it look like the car it's meant to be based on.

hype922.jpg

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I was just talking to my buddy about that. The best way to bring NASCAR back from the dead would be to have real cars out there. More like Trans-AM cars.

I wish showroom stock/bolt on modded was a class that was much more popular. I'm of the opinion that it would be TONS more fun watching cars on track driven by professional drivers using cars like many of us have on 6G.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
Interesting hood design I wonder if we're seeing the GT500 hood early on?
Sponsored