Ford Nascar Mustang Revealed, Ready for Cup Competition in 2019

Borchert97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota 86
How about you share with us when the rules were changed to allow the car builders to make the front and rear look more like the car they're not even remotely close to being built on?

Anyways....no, that is NOT a Mustang. It doesn't share one part with an actual Mustang. It is a race-car built by an engineering firm, with corporate sponsorship so it's body is dressed-up to look like something the sponsors sell.
Sure, so from 2007-2012 they ran the 5th Generation NASCAR stock car, in response to numerous deaths and injuries in the 4th Gen car, which produced great racing but was terribly unsafe, concepts and early testing of the 5th Gen car began following the death of Dale Sr. This 5th Gen car, also called the "Car of Tomorrow" (CoT for short), was exactly what you described when you think of NASCAR, a 100% identical body with different stickers to make it look like a certain make and model. These cars were a lot safer, but the quality of the racing suffered, and NASCAR essentially lost all brand identity, because besides the engine builders, the cars were essentially the exact same.

2012 NASCAR Dodge Charger

2DayDaytona-626x416.jpg

2012 NASCAR Ford

No6_Eco.jpg

2012 NASCAR Toyota

Charlotte+Motor+Speedway+Day+1+q-9sCCLIR9Ml.jpg

2012 NASCAR Chevy

awjgb.jpg

As you can see, despite the sticker placements, including brand logos, brand grille decals, and the name of the car it is supposed to represent, they all share the exact same front bumper design, the same side panels, same exact windshield, everything is exactly the same. These cars had next to no brand identity, in blank primer paint form, you couldn't tell what it was even supposed to become. That is definitely not the case anymore, this video I'll include below is of one of the 2017 season NASCAR Chevy SS cars getting painted, the point of this is to show you that, even when the car is completely blank, with no decals and no paint, you can already clearly see it's a Chevy SS based on the nose.

Since 2013 they put the design largely back in the hands of the OEMs, like I said, Ford Performance, TRD, and Chevy Performance are directly behind the designs, they don't outsource the engineering, it's all in-house to the OEM's performance divisions. Sure, they aren't back to racing production cars yet, but at least give them credit for trying to make steps in the right direction. I do like how certain parts of the car like the engines and rear end are based on production parts though.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
There is a reason why NASCAR is the only racing sport I just can't bring myself to watch.
I watch the Cup road races (usually recorded) and I record and watch the super-speedway races at x60 speed to skip the parts between "the big ones". I also watch Super Modifieds, the only Nascar oval racing I can stomach.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Borchert, Very great posts on NASCAR. Nice to see someone who knows what they're talking about once in a while.

The new Mustang...BARF. WTF? When I saw the newest ZL1 body, I was VERY surprised with the design, very much kile a real Camaro. The new Camry is also quite similar.
It gave me high hopes when they announced the Stang was coming.
This new Mustang looks freaking lame. WTF? Total abomination. I hope it's fast, at least.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
ery much kile a real Camaro
Not even close.. just like every other NASCAR cars. Anyways I'm happy Tony Stewart is involved with Ford.

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Money is on asphalt. Can't deny that. Dirt is fun and has a certain hype aura to it, but it doesn't pay the bills the way asphalt does.
You may not have raced much on asphalt. Much more expensive to repair. The odds of making it on asphalt to where the bills get paid is probably 0.000001%. Can't deny that. For most, it's just an expensive hobby.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
If Ford would produce a Mustang copy of the 2019 Nascar Mustang for the street and put a street version of the 358 Nascar pushrod Ford engine in it , I would buy one in a heartbeat.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

Borchert97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota 86
If Ford would produce a Mustang copy of the 2019 Nascar Mustang for the street and put a street version of the 358 Nascar pushrod Ford engine in it , I would buy one in a heartbeat.
I would be so freaking down for this!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd love this too. We just need the regulations loosened up a little bit to give car manufacturers the freedom to produce engines that emit a few more HCs and get a little worse fuel economy. It's time.
Sponsored