Sponsored

Mustang v. Plaid

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I think this is the general direction we are heading. Fewer people will be able to afford to drive.
I'm not saying I can't yet, thank God. But 3 years ago when I bought the GT, I budgeted $120/month in fuel for work and fun. Now that only gets me half the month just to COMMUTE to work.

I can't imagine owning an EV. I get the Nissian Leaf and Prius are affordable but are not fun at all.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I figure it will be 10 years before this tech is added to every new car.

I also see this happening because the only way to really have self driving cars is for every car on the road to be self driving.
I think if a car can really self-drive, it won't need to communicate with other cars. Radar and vision should be sufficient. And self-drivers should and probably will drive in a very meek, defensive manner. They should always be in the slow lane. Always leave at least 2 seconds gap in front of them to leave enough room to stop. Never even 1 mph over the speed limit (obviously). They should always yield to every other car. If there are poor driving conditions they should keep to side streets. They should automatically check the condition and quality of their own tires and refuse to drive in conditions not suitable to the tires. Etc.

I frankly see zero chance that companies would invest in the tech if every single car on the road has to have it for it to work properly. Because that day when every single car has it will never come.

Also, there will have to be a lot of politicians bribed before this can happen, because the way things are right now liability would just be too costly. You couldn't afford to have your software ever make even a single mistake.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If every car is connected to each other it will make the roads much more efficient. Especially in congested areas. If you are in a line of 14 cars at a stop light and it turns green every car will start moving at the same time thus allowing more to pass through while green.

This is probably 100 years away or more. Many more areas will suffer LA, Atlanta, Chicago, NYC type traffic congestion and this will allow efficient commuting.
Sponsored