Sponsored

Front differential bolts not going in

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
If I go this route, will I drop the subframe and drill from the front toward the rear of the car?
I drilled from the front towards the rear. My subframe was dropped.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I drilled from the front towards the rear. My subframe was dropped.
Did you drop the pumpkin too?

What exactly did you do to drop the subframe?

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Did you drop the pumpkin too?

What exactly did you do to drop the subframe?
No, I never removed the center section. I had all 4 subframe bolts out and even then I still had to pull down further to get the drill in place. I never removed the shocks.

I installed BMR cradle centering sleeves, cradle lockout, and polyurethane bushing kit at the same time.

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
No, I never removed the center section. I had all 4 subframe bolts out and even then I still had to pull down further to get the drill in place. I never removed the shocks.

I installed BMR cradle centering sleeves, cradle lockout, and polyurethane bushing kit at the same time.
Did you go with the BMR bushing kit? How do you like it?

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Did you go with the BMR bushing kit? How do you like it?
Yes, I used all BMR components. They add quite a bit of NVH. My car is just a toy, not my daily driver, so it doesn't really bother me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I used all BMR components. They add quite a bit of NVH. My car is just a toy, not my daily driver, so it doesn't really bother me.
Good to know. My car is my daily so I’ll skip that one. I do have the cradle lockout and Steeda alignment pins which I’m very pleased with.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know. My car is my daily so I’ll skip that one. I do have the cradle lockout and Steeda alignment pins which I’m very pleased with.
Glad to hear you are happy with the Steeda unit - we appreciate your support!

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase

what tools did you use to torque the bolts?

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Anything I could get a torque wrench on, I used it. Any place I couldn't, I went "good n tight" using either the two box wrench technique or using a piece of pipe to get more leverage.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think I can help here, as I dropped the entire subframe in my 2019 Bullitt to install Steeda through bolt differential bushing kit and differential Support bracket. I used two floor jacks and a scissor jack to carefully support the differential and subframe While lowering and raising to reinstall it. Here are some pics that I took when doing these mods. Hopefully they will serve as
9587CFB7-518C-4EED-ACEF-0E4B5581A4BC.jpeg
311B8704-9349-48B1-88AC-C8ED142D496D.jpeg
0ED908BA-53AF-4CC1-B3B1-AF7D313B28AE.jpeg
9318B082-F5E6-45BE-9AA9-AAF00BB35F62.jpeg
A20F7D7A-809F-4652-8C9B-C8CF192AFBB0.jpeg
7D0E01CF-7F4B-4A0F-8696-F08765A32C89.jpeg
a good visual reference for you. When you drop the subframe, you will be able to easily access the bolts to torque them down with a torque wrench.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
You
I think I can help here, as I dropped the entire subframe in my 2019 Bullitt to install Steeda through bolt differential bushing kit and differential Support bracket. I used two floor jacks and a scissor jack to carefully support the differential and subframe While lowering and raising to reinstall it. Here are some pics that I took when doing these mods. Hopefully they will serve as
9587CFB7-518C-4EED-ACEF-0E4B5581A4BC.jpeg
311B8704-9349-48B1-88AC-C8ED142D496D.jpeg
0ED908BA-53AF-4CC1-B3B1-AF7D313B28AE.jpeg
9318B082-F5E6-45BE-9AA9-AAF00BB35F62.jpeg
A20F7D7A-809F-4652-8C9B-C8CF192AFBB0.jpeg
7D0E01CF-7F4B-4A0F-8696-F08765A32C89.jpeg
a good visual reference for you. When you drop the subframe, you will be able to easily access the bolts to torque them down with a torque wrench.
have an immaculate garage sir. I only have one floor jack. Can I lower the subframe on side at a time?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You

have an immaculate garage sir. I only have one floor jack. Can I lower the subframe on side at a time?
Thanks! I don’t think you’ll be able to lower one side at a time, as you’ll need to drop it about 12” or so, in order to work comfortably. If you have a buddy that has a floor jack, I’d ask to borrow it. The scissor jack also made it easy to manage the pumpkin. I laid on my back and alternated twisting the handle on both floor jacks, as well as the scissor jack a little at a time and kept repeating the process until the subframe was low enough to work comfortably on it. Note: Don’t forget to unclip the differential vent line from the subframe and unplug the sensor on the differential cover before lowering the subframe.

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I don’t think you’ll be able to lower one side at a time, as you’ll need to drop it about 12” or so, in order to work comfortably. If you have a buddy that has a floor jack, I’d ask to borrow it. The scissor jack also made it easy to manage the pumpkin. I laid on my back and alternated twisting the handle on both floor jacks, as well as the scissor jack a little at a time and kept repeating the process until the subframe was low enough to work comfortably on it. Note: Don’t forget to unclip the differential vent line from the subframe and unplug the sensor on the differential cover before lowering the subframe.
There is a sensor that you have to unplug on the differential? I haven't seen that. I already dropped my previous 3.15 pumpkin and have the 3.55 in right now. I didn't notice anything I had to unplug or plug in except the vent line.

Also, I do have a motorcycle scissor jack I can use to support the other side. Can I get by without having to drop the pumpkin though? Kelly Aiken said he didn't have to drop it.

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
There is a sensor that you have to unplug on the differential? I haven't seen that. I already dropped my previous 3.15 pumpkin and have the 3.55 in right now. I didn't notice anything I had to unplug or plug in except the vent line.

Also, I do have a motorcycle scissor jack I can use to support the other side. Can I get by without having to drop the pumpkin though? Kelly Aiken said he didn't have to drop it.
I didn’t remove my pumpkin, I just supported it with my motorcycle scissor jack and lowered the entire su frame using all three jacks one at a time until I had it low enough to work comfortably. If you don’t use the three jacks in unison, the pumpkin is going to want to pivot up or down and make it hard to control the lowering and lifting of the subframe. Also, my jacks (got them at Harbor Freight for $109 each). have a max height of 19.75” and the tree jacks that are holding the car can go just as high.

Wait a minute, here’s a thought regarding your question about using the MC scissor jack on one side. Can you modify a car scissor jack (weld a small 1/4” thick flat plate to the top of it and use that to support the pumpkin while lowering the subframe. That might work for you, but you will still have to go very slow and really control the lowering and lifting (don’t go too far on one side at once.

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t remove my pumpkin, I just supported it with my motorcycle scissor jack and lowered the entire su frame using all three jacks one at a time until I had it low enough to work comfortably. If you don’t use the three jacks in unison, the pumpkin is going to want to pivot up or down and make it hard to control the lowering and lifting of the subframe. Also, my jacks (got them at Harbor Freight for $109 each). have a max height of 19.75” and the tree jacks that are holding the car can go just as high.

Wait a minute, here’s a thought regarding your question about using the MC scissor jack on one side. Can you modify a car scissor jack (weld a small 1/4” thick flat plate to the top of it and use that to support the pumpkin while lowering the subframe. That might work for you, but you will still have to go very slow and really control the lowering and lifting (don’t go too far on one side at once.
I have a neighbor who surely has a floor jack I can use. So I’ll use those two combined with my MC jack to support the cradle and give it a go. Thanks for the tips!
Sponsored