Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Thanks again to all who responded to my question about production capability. During my college days I was a full time student at UW- Milwaukee while working full time nights at a distribution transformer plant & I don't think we hit much more than 100 units per day. Granted, that was then, & this is now, but more than 100 high tech (super) automobiles per average day blows my mind. Guess I've been living in Wisconsin's beautiful Northwoods too long .....47 years +. Would someone please welcome me to AMERICA?:headbonk: Again, thanks to all who responded, I sincerely appreciate it. I hope I'm 1964 in sequence, but not 1965:amen:
#1964 will be auctioned off next month in La$ Vega$.
Sponsored

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Des anyone know what exactly the flat rock plant does? Are they pretty much assembling the car and testing it, checking it, etc? Or do they fabricate pieces there as well? I'm completely ignorant of the he car production process but I think I read here that a lot of the parts aren't even made by Ford. Any insights?

DonLafond

1 Happy Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Des anyone know what exactly the flat rock plant does? Are they pretty much assembling the car and testing it, checking it, etc? Or do they fabricate pieces there as well? I'm completely ignorant of the he car production process but I think I read here that. Lot of here parts aren't even made by Ford. Any insights?
Youtube:

[ame]

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Des anyone know what exactly the flat rock plant does? Are they pretty much assembling the car and testing it, checking it, etc? Or do they fabricate pieces there as well? I'm completely ignorant of the he car production process but I think I read here that a lot of the parts aren't even made by Ford. Any insights?
The video that Don posted will be insightful. Basically, the plant houses body shops for the Mustang and Fusion, paint process area, and then share a common final trim and assembly line. There also are areas for automated door assembly, as well as enormous presses that stamp the steel body parts.

There are parts that come there, but they do a lot in house.

At the end, there are areas for suspension settling, high pressure water leak test, and paint and fit/finish inspection. They also have areas to do repairs.

There also is a pilot plant just a bit away from the main complex.

There's also a huge holding lot and transportation staging area, as well as test track loop.

Sponsored

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
The video that Don posted will be insightful. Basically, the plant houses body shops for the Mustang and Fusion, paint process area, and then share a common final trim and assembly line. There also are areas for automated door assembly, as well as enormous presses that stamp the steel body parts.

There are parts that come there, but they do a lot in house.

At the end, there are areas for suspension settling, high pressure water leak test, and paint and fit/finish inspection. They also have areas to do repairs.

There also is a pilot plant just a bit away from the main complex.

There's also a huge holding lot and transportation staging area, as well as test track loop.

That video was incredible. I can't imagine maintaining all the equipment and making sure it's operating properly. How did they do it back decades ago? Had to have less computerized robots. They were selling 400,000 Mustangs a year back then too, not 100k or less like today. Incredible.

Question, were the prototypes we've seen at the car shows back in the spring hand built or built on the assembly line, and if they were hand built, how did they know the assembly line could mass produce the exact car as the prototype?

DonLafond

1 Happy Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That video was incredible. I can't imagine maintaining all the equipment and making sure it's operating properly.

Question, were the prototypes we've seen at the car shows back in the spring hand built or built on the assembly line?
They were all hand built until they re-tooled the line at the beginning of July.

If they were hand built, how did they know the assembly line could mass produce the exact car as the prototype?
Magic :shrug:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Well..
You should plan a trip to Michigan, stay in Dearborn and go to Greenfield Village & the Henry Ford Museum, then go on a Tour of the Dearborn Plant, etc.

American Industry will impress anyone who has never seen it first hand.
Sponsored