NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
Hey everyone,

So I have a question about brake fluid color? Currently my fluid is is about the same color as a light ipa or light ale. I'm aware that brand new fluid is clear so I was a bit concerned when I saw this. I also notice after aggressive driving especially on hot days that the clutch pedal gets either really stiff or really soft and sometimes doesn't return all the way up. My question is if this color is normal and if not is it contributing to the strange clutch feel after hard driving? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Time for a fluid flush/change which should correct the problem. Have you had one since the car was new? If not, it would be a good time to upgrade the clutch line while you’re at it. If you do the fluid change, perform a gravity bleed, starting with the caliper furthest from the master cylinder and work your way forward (right rear, left rear, right front and left front). once done, you will literally need to pump the clutch pedal several hundred times. I pumped mine over 1000 times for good measure.

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
G,Day,
I had my car serviced recently, when I picked the car up the service adviser told me my brake fluid needs changing, something I already knew going by the light yellowish color.
but they did not call me me or replace the fluid as they said they ran out of time......not going back to them
anyways I went to another service centre last Tuesday and was replaced, took around 1 1/2 hours to do.
the service book schedule is for the brake fluid to be replace every 24 months.
hope this helps.

MaxQ

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
Time for a fluid flush/change which should correct the problem. Have you had one since the car was new? If not, it would be a good time to upgrade the clutch line while you’re at it. If you do the fluid change, perform a gravity bleed, starting with the caliper furthest from the master cylinder and work your way forward (right rear, left rear, right front and left front). once done, you will literally need to pump the clutch pedal several hundred times. I pumped mine over 1000 times for good measure.
Thanks a ton! I'm planning on flushing it next weekend. I had the clutch system replaced a year ago and I asked them to flush the brake/clutch fluid but I don't think they did completely because the fluid was still yellow after the clutch job. I'm taking it to a different shop who I trust much more this time for the fluid flush.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
G,Day,
I had my car serviced recently, when I picked the car up the service adviser told me my brake fluid needs changing, something I already knew going by the light yellowish color.
but they did not call me me or replace the fluid as they said they ran out of time......not going back to them
anyways I went to another service centre last Tuesday and was replaced, took around 1 1/2 hours to do.
the service book schedule is for the brake fluid to be replace every 24 months.
hope this helps.

MaxQ
Thank you, I had no idea the fluid needed changing that frequently. Did you notice a difference in clutch or brake pedal feel after the job was done?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks a ton! I'm planning on flushing it next weekend. I had the clutch system replaced a year ago and I asked them to flush the brake/clutch fluid but I don't think they did completely because the fluid was still yellow after the clutch job. I'm taking it to a different shop who I trust much more this time for the fluid flush.
NP. I don’t know if your shop will be supplying the fluid, or having you bring it to them. When I did mine a couple of months ago, I bought a big bottle (and used all of it), to make sure I got a good flush.

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
NP. I don’t know if your shop will be supplying the fluid, or having you bring it to them. When I did mine a couple of months ago, I bought a big bottle (and used all of it), to make sure I got a good flush.
I'll probably bring my own fluid to be safe. Is there a fluid that you would recommend? I don't track my car at all, just daily.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Thank you, I had no idea the fluid needed changing that frequently. Did you notice a difference in clutch or brake pedal feel after the job was done?
I replaced the front pads and rotors just before the fluid was changed so unable to tell if there was a difference, as for clutch feel have not noticed any change in feel.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So I have a question about brake fluid color? Currently my fluid is is about the same color as a light ipa or light ale. I'm aware that brand new fluid is clear so I was a bit concerned when I saw this.
Fresh brake fluid isn't clear. It's light yellow. No need to worry.
You can also test it for water content. The cheap, pen-style testers seem to work quite well.

I also notice after aggressive driving especially on hot days that the clutch pedal gets either really stiff or really soft and sometimes doesn't return all the way up.
That's not the fluid, I'm afraid. It sounds like a sign of imminent slave cylinder failure.

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
Fresh brake fluid isn't clear. It's light yellow. No need to worry.
You can also test it for water content. The cheap, pen-style testers seem to work quite well.

That's not the fluid, I'm afraid. It sounds like a sign of imminent slave cylinder failure.
I just had the clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, Pilot bearing and pressure plate replaced last year so im confused how the slave could go bad this quickly? Is that the normal life span of the throw out bearing in these cars?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In that case I may be wrong. I wouldn't expect it to fail after just one year.
But I also don't think the brake fluid can give that sort of symptoms. It must be something else.

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
In that case I may be wrong. I wouldn't expect it to fail after just one year.
But I also don't think the brake fluid can give that sort of symptoms. It must be something else.
I'm hoping this might help. I've attached an image of my brake fluid reservoir. There appears to be some debris in there as well. Possibly signs of a worn seal or something contaminating the fluid. The fluid level has stayed consistent since I've owned the car and I've noticed no leaks whatsoever so I'm just not sure what to make of it.
20220418_092345.jpg