MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
Needs a rear diffuser to complete the look.:wink:
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@ Since-64 thanks Graeme was hoping to get to this but didn't. How did they sound?

Well spotted MM18, a rear diffuser is indeed required. Wondered why it looked underdone at the back end (half arsed???)!

Last edited:

Since-64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee, G6ET, 2016 Mustang
@ Since-64 thanks Graeme was hoping to get to this but didn't. How did they sound?

Well spotted MM18, a rear diffuser is indeed required. Wondered why it looked underdone at the back end (half arsed???)![/QUOTE
Cars sounded

Since-64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee, G6ET, 2016 Mustang

Well spotted MM18, a rear diffuser is indeed required. Wondered why it looked underdone at the back end (half arsed???)!
I dont think they sounded any different to the older FGX, but they did sound nice. Tried to record a video but all I got was a lot of wind noise.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Reckon roofline looks like Mondeo or something else Ford tried to retail in the 90s

Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
Great day at Phillip Island! Even better that the Mustangs seem on the pace, as much as one can tell from a test day.

Underneath, the Stangs are basically the re-skinned Falcons from last year, including a Ford Racing 'crate' based engine . They are running a new control transaxle this year, as the rest of the field are also required to do.

The high roofline is to accommodate the control chassis that was originally designed for four-door sedans.

The bigger rear wing endplates are there for better wing performance, and probably to compensate for the slight decrease of side body area compared to the Falcon. This is important when the car is turning in a corner and uses the aero forces acting on the side of the car to 'lean' against. The more rear surface area, the better the car should turn into the corner, hence the big endplates.

The low front end is useful for decreasing the frontal area. By regulation, the wheelbase and overall length of the car had to be lengthened by about 100mm, so the doors have been lengthened. That could be an issue for endurance race pitstops...

All those factors led to the final look of the car, which is designed for speed, not attractiveness. Personally, I prefer a winning car to a stunning looking car :-)

Regulations don't allow them to run a low to the ground F1 type rear diffuser, but they do have a simple undertray/diffuser located higher off the ground at the back.

The car is certainly not underdone. Ford Performance USA basically did the performance design of the body/aero package. If early NASCAR results with the new Mustang are any indication, they know what they are doing.

In the afternoon, the Tickford Mustangs had to run extra baffles in the exhaust to comply with noise level restrictions. The Mostert car looks better than I thought it was going to be. The big wing endplates allow extra space for sponsors!

2019_phillip_island_test_day_chaz_mostert.jpg

Caught an off by Cam Waters, and he had another one later in the day at Lukey Heights. All the Mustangs looked a handful at time, particularly the Tickford cars, but it is early days. All teams have to deal with the ban on twin spring damping. The 888 Commodores seemed to be in trouble with that issues.

2019_phillip_island_test_day_cam_waters.jpg

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I read somewhere that Erebus has run single spring for some years, early results could be interesting. Ludo will have his work cut out.

Only a few more days...

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Last night on one of our sports channels we had an hour long documentary/ford propaganda release about the building of the Supercar Mustang
Has this been screened in OZ yet?

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Last night on one of our sports channels we had an hour long documentary/ford propaganda release about the building of the Supercar Mustang
Has this been screened in OZ yet?
It has been shown on Foxtel here, An Even Faster Horse: https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/02/25/special-supercars-mustang-doco-to-air/

Interesting to see that Edsel Ford is keen to come down to watch a race!

Which is a play on the title of the Ford documentary 'A Faster Horse', compulsory Mustang owner viewing! :

So far so good for the Mustang at Adelaide, after Thursday. Probably not the best circuit to make use of its (hopefully) superior aero.

Last edited:

Sponsored

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
It has been shown on Foxtel here, An Even Faster Horse: https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/02/25/special-supercars-mustang-doco-to-air/

Interesting to see that Edsel Ford is keen to come down to watch a race!

Which is a play on the title of the Ford documentary 'A Faster Horse', compulsory Mustang owner viewing! :

So far so good for the Mustang at Adelaide, after Thursday. Probably not the best circuit to make use of its (hopefully) superior aero.
It was a good watch but long on sentiment and too short on real facts and technology.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
It was a good watch but long on sentiment and too short on real facts and technology.
An Even Faster Horse? I agree. Focused too much on the demise of the Falcon and it would have been nice to know more technical details about the Mustang development.

The big Multimatic signage on the transporter seems to confirm their involvement at some level, but doesn’t seem to be acknowledged by anyone. They built the Le Mans Ford GT GTE and also the GT4 Mustang.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I was at the Adelaide 500 yesterday and the Mustangs go well but look terrible. They look like those little Aussie Racing Cars.

I see in today's paper, Ryan Walkinshaw refuses to race the Camaro until the rules change and allow a chassis that doesn't require such a distorted look.

Supercars say there maybe a new chassis in 2021 but some changes may occur before then. I certainly hope so!

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I was at the Adelaide 500 yesterday and the Mustangs go well but look terrible. They look like those little Aussie Racing Cars.

I see in today's paper, Ryan Walkinshaw refuses to race the Camaro until the rules change and allow a chassis that doesn't require such a distorted look.

Supercars say there maybe a new chassis in 2021 but some changes may occur before then. I certainly hope so!
There was really nothing Ford Performance, etc could do to make it look more like a street Mustang. It has to fit around the tall control chassis, etc, and still be competitive, hence the large wing endplates, etc.

The rules can’t change, will not change in the medium term, probably 2021 at the earliest.

I look at the glass being half full; we are lucky that Ford is supporting Supercars in such a big way and adding to the local Ford legacy. By the end of the year, following a championship victory (hopefully), people will better accept the Mustang and fully embrace it.

To me, the most important part of the bodywork is this :-)

ford-mustang-grille-badge.jpg