2019 Bullitt build no.301
Reminds me of Jim Richards and the Nissan all over again
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Maybe if Mustang continues to win it'll come to a point where V8SC has enough ammunition to tell RD to bugger off, I suspect we haven't heard much from him because their recent performances have been self inflicted and they're frequently getting owned by minor teams.
I'm by no means an authoritative source, but from what I'm seeing, the Holdens are down on speed this year, compared to the Mustangs, which is pretty evident. However, the Mustangs aren't necessarily running FASTER than the Falcon FG X did last year, and the Holdens are running slower, probably due to the change from dual-spring (also have heard that 888 Racing was running a triple-spring in some events) to the single-spring. My understanding is that DJRTP and Tickford did a lot of development work on the single-spring, and some cars were running it primarily last year.

So anyway, it seems like the issue was that RD didn't plan for or test the single-spring setup properly, and now Mustang is running away with the field by having a very consistent team (DJRTP) with very consistent drivers (Scotty and Fabian), and a good understanding of the car, aero, and the single-spring setup. If the Supercars sanctioning body would only allow them to run what they brung, so to speak, we wouldn't have these issues with changes to the Mustangs after every race to artificially make up for RD's poor setups.

JR

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
V888 supercars is a disgrace. Everyone knows that RD and his cronies controll it and continue to turn this into a fiasco. I really do hope that the Mustangs once again smash 888 and send RD back to his tissue box.
V8SC fiasco Not to mention the move to channel 10 / Foxtel last year.

What a joke I donā€™t have the luxury of cable TV so have been completely disconnected from the V8 motor sport world.

We now have selected 1 hr highlights (40min of racing 20 min of commercials)

Not much incentive to watch anymore.

So much for promoting the brand only to exclude most of the fansā€¦..

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I'm by no means an authoritative source, but from what I'm seeing, the Holdens are down on speed this year, compared to the Mustangs, which is pretty evident. However, the Mustangs aren't necessarily running FASTER than the Falcon FG X did last year, and the Holdens are running slower, probably due to the change from dual-spring (also have heard that 888 Racing was running a triple-spring in some events) to the single-spring. My understanding is that DJRTP and Tickford did a lot of development work on the single-spring, and some cars were running it primarily last year.

So anyway, it seems like the issue was that RD didn't plan for or test the single-spring setup properly, and now Mustang is running away with the field by having a very consistent team (DJRTP) with very consistent drivers (Scotty and Fabian), and a good understanding of the car, aero, and the single-spring setup. If the Supercars sanctioning body would only allow them to run what they brung, so to speak, we wouldn't have these issues with changes to the Mustangs after every race to artificially make up for RD's poor setups.

JR
Totally agree. Hard to believe that T8 didn't do enough development work but it seems to be a factor and overconfidence may have played a part, even pre 2019 there was conjecture that the minor teams already running singles would have an advantage. Could explain a lot about why there's so much disparity between SVG and JDub, at PI it seemed they couldn't come up with a good car for JDub no matter what. Wondering if T8 was left with insufficient talent for the change to singes after Ludo left, between him and Ford and Penske there's a lot of engineering grunt in that team now. Still, IMHO the teams that aren't winning should be having to catch up rather than nobbling those in front. V8SC did nothing when the ZBs were blitzing it, maybe the problem is that ZB (ie T8) has realised it can't catch up.

Mark Larkham said on the V8SC site that he supported the changes to Mustang because the homologation sign off was only on aero/drag and after they used fluid dynamics to model the cars' respective behaviours during a race it was clear the Mustang had an advantage. FFS, why not do more testing pre homologation then, instead of this two changes (and counting?) nonsense.

V8SC fiasco Not to mention the move to channel 10 / Foxtel last year.

What a joke I donā€™t have the luxury of cable TV so have been completely disconnected from the V8 motor sport world.

We now have selected 1 hr highlights (40min of racing 20 min of commercials)
I thought some races were still broadcast in full on Ch 10? Pretty sure they were last year.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
This weekends Wanneroo meeting is going to be televised live on Channel 10, or one of its sister stations circa 8:30pm on Friday and Saturday nights (wasnā€™t originally scheduled to be).

You can get all the races and practices live on the Kayo Sports website or download the app, on your computer, iPad or whatever. Apple users can connect an Apple TV box through to a smart TV to view it there too. You can watch it live, or in delay, or later. You get F1, Indycar (very delayed), MotoGp, Superbikes other sports, etc.

We pay $25 a month for the subscription. Kayo is owned by Foxtel. This is advisory only, check the details yourself.

Sponsored

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
Kayo is definitely good to have, cancelled my Foxtel and just grabbed Kayo instead.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
So now in spite of the recent two jack-ups of the rules by officialdom, the Mustangs are still winning at Perth
What now?
Rule that Roger Penske must drive the cars himself?
Ban all kiwis from participating?
Make McLaughlan drive in a full leg cast?
Ban all cars with DNA originating in Michigan?

Watch this space!!!

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Next years car looks more like street version

Chevrolet-Camaro-Supercars-7.jpg

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Next years car looks more like street version

Chevrolet-Camaro-Supercars-7.jpg
I believe those are the 2022 cars, not 2021. They're switching to a new control chassis that's supposed to be a lot cheaper, and a lot easier for manufacturers to homologate either a sedan or coupe road car. That said, the GM/Holden entrant is now going to be a Camaro, which isn't sold in Australia, is not currently planned to be sold in Australia, and has going to have little to no factory backing. Supercars, itself, is going to homologate the Camaro body for racing, and is going to own everything, outside of what Roland Dane is able to weasel his way in on.

I watched the first two hours of Bathurst on Saturday night (in the States) and continue to love certain tracks, but I've watched other races this year, and just been bored. The racing hasn't been as good, and it has nothing to do with Ford vs. Holden, and everything to do with Supercars regulations and the fact that the only teams that can be truly competitive are DJRTP and RBHRT. None of the independent teams, or those without factory backing, have a chance, even with the best drivers. Tickford has made some decent strides this year, but really it's just Cam Waters. Fabian has taken a huge step backwards. If Scotty leaves for Indy, which may happen this year, may happen next year, it's going to go right back to the T888/RBHRT show, especially if RD has the ability to affect homologation and ownership of parts manufacturing (and rules).

JR

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
That is a render of what the 2022 Supercar Mustang might look like.

Little wonder there is confusion when the media keep saying that Bathurst was the last ever race for Holden. It was the last ever race for a Holden financially backed factory team. The same exact same Commodores and Mustangs will be racing next year, so I fear a ā€˜Holdenā€™ clean sweep if McLaughlin goes off to Indycar.

Cam Waters has put in good performances lately. Hereā€™s hoping that continues, and that Penske also continues on with DJR.

I agree with much of what you say @jacknifetoaswan . What Roland Dane wants, Roland Dane gets. The racing has not always been brilliant this year, but that is something that can be said about most circuit racing these days. I presume there is still plenty of passing in NASCAR these days, but Iā€™m not sure that the ā€˜no rulesā€˜ driving standards are very becoming.

Good to see interest from North America, expat Australians I presume.

BTW, this half page advert appeared in a major daily Australian paper yesterday; does Ford/Ford Performance advertise NASCAR success over there too?

Mustang wins again.jpg

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Yep, that's 2022 and Gen 3 chassis rules which thankfully restore the roofline and let Camaro work. Camaro will be sold in Australia with GM's blessing by HSV, or GMSV as they'll be known. There are a few changes afoot for 2022 as the series is struggling a bit financially and Supercars is up for sale. There are two main contenders for ownership, one is a local individual with a strong motorsport background and very deep pockets and the other is a syndicate including among others RD and Betty. Supercars wants to homologate everything themselves to reduce cost to manufacturers but Ford isn't having it, and there's also talk of moving to an ohc 'control' engine - Coyote is a front runner - but it's not a popular idea either. Supercars seems to be heading in the direction of making it even more about teams/sponsors and drivers than car brands but I guess it's understandable as there are only two factory teams and the baggage that comes with that might not be worth it.

I agree racing this year was a bit boring sometimes, possibly because the races were so short in the absence of the enduros and with multiple races at one track, but IMHO there were also some pretty intense ones like Race 1 at The Bend with blistering tyres and panels all over the track. I'm not sure there's a sport anywhere in which it goes down to the wire every year and any team could win, there's always a natural dominance by some - Mercedes and Red Bull for example - although it seems MotoGp is a bit varied; that said, I recall when Rossi was just...winning everything for years. Not exactly sure what it's like in NASCAR but it seems there are top teams that remain dominant.

Hoping Cam can take it to them next year, he's really coming along well and should be buoyed by 2nd at Bathurst and 2nd in the Championship, also there's young guys like Todd Hazelwood and Jack LeBroq who are showing some sparkle. And Whincup should be tied to an ants nest for stuffing Craig's chances :curse:.

Last edited:

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Ford Performance boss Mark Rushbrook doesnā€™t seem keen on using a Ford product as the Gen3 control engine, or the use of a non-Ford product in the Mustang either. He also seems to want to be responsible for the homologation of the Gen3 Mustang too. These seem to be sticking points.

I must say though that the name of 'Repco V8' for a control engine has a nice ring to it!

I think the series sees Mustang versus Camaro as the only way to not lose 50% of its audience (Holden), which I agree with, so I think it needs to happen. It is probably the only way the series has any chance of being viable for the next few years. After that, internal combustion engine racing may be on the same endangered list that Camaro seems to be on.

On the surface the series seems to be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, with Repco spending up big, surprisingly good media deals, and with sponsors like Boost Mobile and CoolDrive committing to next year at least. In CoolDrive's case, probably a two-car Mustang team.

Brodie Kostecki has been mentioned in relation to the Shell Team, if it reverts back to Dick Johnson Racing. I think he is the best young prospect, but it is hard to judge for sure.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
So...Scotty and Penske now confirmed as gone, no word on whether Fabs or Ludo will stay for 2021. DJR carrying on, presumably they'll need a major sponsor beyond Shell. . I hope this doesn't revert to the 888 show.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
All the tea leaves are pointing towards Anton De Pasquale and Will Davison, but no immediate announcement seems to be on the horizon. I wonder if Brodie Kostecki was considered. I think he will be the next big thing.

No mention of Ludo staying or not, but where else would he go, presuming he doesn't follow McLaughlin to Indycar.

Ryan Story says that all the teams sponsors are staying with no reduction of budget.

Shell in Australia is divorced from the rest of the Shell world; Viva Energy now owns the local operation, with the Shell brand sold under license, so I don't know how much influence Roger Penske had in that deal coming together, or more importantly, continuing.

At least it seems McLaughlin will be back in the DJR Mustang at Bathurst next year as a co-driver.

I do fear it being a bit of a 888 playground next year, and an uneven parity with the Camaro in 2022. The body panels have to be made the same size as the production cars in Gen3. To start with, the Mustang seems to be slightly higher and wider than the Camaro, which means more bodywork to push through the air. Anyway, here's hoping for a level playing field.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if the Camaro teams will now get the benefit of all the rule changes and tinkering that were employed historically to keep the Holden teams in front This outfit has no integrity or honesty, they are lucky they are not competing in the America's Cup or they would have spent more time in court than on the track
Sponsored

Reactions: 12g