Sponsored

Mustang for Supercars next year

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Yes you'd think so but Chaz said later that he 'didn't have good comms' so he just went. Hence why he apologised to Kelly and said he deserved the penalty. I see they've decided to close the narrow pit lane for the safety car at Phillip Island to try and stop this from happening, while I think it's a bit artificial it'll be interesting from a strategy perspective
Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
I grew up watching NASCAR races on TV, and spent almost every Saturday night between the ages of 8 and 15 at a local circle track that produced some very famous NASCAR racers. I got really turned off to NASCAR back when all they did was pack race for three hours and crash into each other at the end, and had read about V8 Supercars on Autoblog or Jalopnik. I happened to find a race on SPEED Network, and was hooked immediately. Unfortunately, SPEED Network went away, and the Supercars rights bounced around from one network to another. It's currently unwatchable, even if you can find the race coverage (three - four weeks after the race). Like I said, they don't show any actual racing, the editing and pacing is terrible.

You can watch SuperView any time you want to. The only problem is that you can't watch it directly on your television, you need to watch it via the website. It's not integrated into the Supercars app, so you can't use the native Android Chromecast functionality to display on your television, you need to view it in the browser and cast it from the phone. It works, but it's kludgey.

That pit lane action was crazy. Why the hell did Chaz release? It looked like he was blocked in, but someone had to have told him he was clear!

JR
SuperView would probably work well on a TV using an IPad or iPhone through an Apple TV box.

NASCAR is a bit of a yawn, on ovals at least. Interestingly there seems to be a slow tread towards circuit racing, a bit like Indycar, which now resembles sadly missed Champ Car.

Chaz seemed to infer that, in the confusion, the crew forgot to tell him to go, so he made the call (but I could be wrong). In any case, at the time he did start to go, he probably had time for the move, but he was slow getting out due to the extra tight confines at the time.

The bigger question has to be why they brought him in since he had only just pitted the lap before. Why take the risk? He would have probably been the race leader and have track position if another safety car came out, and fitted fresher tyres.

At the Phillip Island round they are going to trial closing the pits, like they do in Indycar: https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/03/05/supercars-to-trial-closing-pit-lane-under-safety-car/

I am not sure that is ideal either. I would rather see artificial compulsory pits dropped and let the fastest driver win, but call me old-fashioned! It would probably suit this year because I think that there will mostly aways be a Mustang that is going to be fastest at any given time :-)

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I think he had to pit again due to damage?

Tim Edwards was cited as saying 'RK was to blame and there was a lot going' or words to that effect but IMHO that's a complete BS excuse, either Chaz - he appears to accept responsibility - or the team cocked up.

Agree the closing of pit lane doesn't seem ideal either. If they don't like the risks posed by inevitable congestion don't pit, it's not like there's never been a collision in pit lane and that's why they have penalties for unsafe releases. Seems like a knee jerk solution looking for a problem that doesn't really exist but I'm the first one to admit I know nothing about why they decided to go that way. That said, pit lane at PI is very narrow so they may have decided that a similar tangle there would be dangerous and exponentially more difficult to resolve.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I think he had to pit again due to damage?

Tim Edwards was cited as saying 'RK was to blame and there was a lot going' or words to that effect but IMHO that's a complete BS excuse, either Chaz - he appears to accept responsibility - or the team cocked up.

Agree the closing of pit lane doesn't seem ideal either. If they don't like the risks posed by inevitable congestion don't pit, it's not like there's never been a collision in pit lane and that's why they have penalties for unsafe releases. Seems like a knee jerk solution looking for a problem that doesn't really exist but I'm the first one to admit I know nothing about why they decided to go that way. That said, pit lane at PI is very narrow so they may have decided that a similar tangle there would be dangerous and exponentially more difficult to resolve.
I agree the proposed changes seem like a knee-jerk reaction.

I think Tim Edwards, from what I saw during the telecast, was saying that he thought Kelly could have avoided the ongoing contact, and all the mayhem that followed. I think most people think Chaz pulled out in the fast lane when he should not have, and therefore deserved the drive through penalty, it was quite clear-cut, and he said so himself.

I think many people think Kelly deliberately kept accelerating like a bulldozer, which turned Chaz around sideways so that he couldn't move forward. Mark Skaife said words to that effect in the telecast.

Chaz still would have been penalised, even if they didn't actually make any contact.

Chaz came straight back in while the safety car was still out to have the car fixed. He later did his drive-though under green flag, as required.

Anyway, enough of that.

Somehow Chaz still finished 15th, and set the fastest lap of the race, three tenths of a second faster than anyone else, so I think we Mustang fans are in for a happy year :-)

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Given today's results I wonder if RD will shut his cake hole and start thinking about 'parity' between his own cars instead of any perceived advantage that the Mustang has. OK maybe not...

Sponsored

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Classic

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Looks like the Hitler video is coming true
Can anyone name any other competition where the rules are changed twice after the comp starts and every competitor signed off on the rules before commencement?
I'm surprised the lawyers aren't all over this

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have followed Supercars for a long time now and still enjoy it, but the category is an absolute joke. I understand the need for parity, but the way Ford have been treated upon their return to the sport is disgraceful. This display is hardly going to lure new manufacturers to the sport and with Holden's direct support dwindling, I would have thought the whole matter should have been handled in more professional and discreet way.

I really hope Scott Mclachlan turns up next round and smashes the field as a F/U to the (dis)organisation!

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
^^^^

I think the term 'fiasco' sums it up. Signing off and then changing things twice during the season in the name of parity is shamefully poor.

If the roles were reversed I doubt they'd be fiddling with Holdens in the same way, and instead claiming that it's just teething problems/early days for Mustang. And if there truly is a 'performance advantage' how do they explain the disparity between Whincup and SVG, with DePasquale beating both of them by a margin into the top 3 and splitting the Mustangs. That result alone was enough to suggest that T8 needs to stop playing with their nuts (of the wheel variety of course given their recent misadventures).

Wondering how they'll decide when they've nobbled Mustang enough.

I hope Scotty smashes it next weekend, and all Mustangs finish top 5.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
It is hard to know what has been happening behind the scenes. For instance, the smaller endplates seem to have already been tested prior to the homologation process was finalised (see below) It seems that Ford Performance anticipated having their wing clipped.

This seems pretty much identical to the smaller endplates being used from Perth onwards. So the Ford teams already know what difference it will make. Maybe they preemptively tested the other changes too. Mysteriously, the exact scope of the changes to the undertray and gurney flap haven’t been released.

Anyway, I am hoping that the Penske Mustangs, at least, will still be competitive.

Link here for comparison: https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/04/26/new-mustang-rear-wing-endplate-comparison/

Mustang-Test-7-11-2018-0073seqn.jpg

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
isn't T8 rung by poms?
If so , that,s all the explanation we need!

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
V888 supercars is a disgrace. Everyone knows that RD and his cronies controll it and continue to turn this into a fiasco. I really do hope that the Mustangs once again smash 888 and send RD back to his tissue box.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
It is hard to know what has been happening behind the scenes. For instance, the smaller endplates seem to have already been tested prior to the homologation process was finalised (see below) It seems that Ford Performance anticipated having their wing clipped.

This seems pretty much identical to the smaller endplates being used from Perth onwards. So the Ford teams already know what difference it will make. Maybe they preemptively tested the other changes too. Mysteriously, the exact scope of the changes to the undertray and gurney flap haven’t been released.
G'day Chris I agree it'd be interesting to know what's been discussed and I maintain a shred of hope that V8SC learns from this experience, given what it it says about category management and the perceptions it creates about parity they should be communicating much better. Maybe whoever managed comms at Ford on oil coolers and ac evaporators has moved to V8SC. Interesting re testing the smaller end plates, not sure if there's latitude to change end plate size for different conditions, within limits.

Maybe if Mustang continues to win it'll come to a point where V8SC has enough ammunition to tell RD to bugger off, I suspect we haven't heard much from him because their recent performances have been self inflicted and they're frequently getting owned by minor teams.
Sponsored