Sponsored

Mustang/Camaro trims ranked

BGM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang V6
Trying to find the elusive "sweet spot". I like the Mustang styling and practicality (visibility, trunk size, semi-usable back seat) more than the Camaro by a long shot, but a potent V6 in the Camaro has me wishing the Mustang offered something similar. So that got me thinking of a ranking by trim. I'm coming at it from a daily driver lens. Curious if anyone has had similar thoughts.

1. Mustang GT
Pros: See above, V8:headbang:
Cons: Price compared to lesser trims, cost to own (gas mileage, premium fuel)

2. Camaro V6
Pros: 335 HP, regular gas, cost to own, lighter/better performer than equivalent s550s
Cons: Kinda ugly, less practical

3. Mustang Ecoboost
Pros: Aforementioned Mustang positives, gas mileage
Cons: Premium gas to get full power, 4-cylinders

4. Mustang V6
Pros: Aforementioned Mustang positives. cost to run compared to V8, regular gas
Cons: Limited options, getting phased out probably, less HP and more weight than my S197

5. Camaro I4
Pros: Cheap, gas mileage
Cons: Kinda ugly, less practical, premium fuel to get full power

6. Camaro SS
Pros: Best performer
Cons: Can't really afford it, so automatic last place finish. Sorry.
Sponsored

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Are you shopping? Cuz I am too.. Right now I may be leading towards a base 5.0 if I get approved. I thought about the V6 Camaro vs the EB/V6 but I haven't drove the V6 Camaro yet.

Drove the 5.0 and the EB/V6. The EB had more torque especially mid range and the V6 had more power up top. I would like to test drive the Camaro V6 since everyone is blowing it up to be a mid 13 second car. If that's the case, it should beat the EB/V6 by a few cars but for some reason I have a hard time believing that.

The 5.0 base didn't feel as peppy as the the PP.. The 3.73 gears is way more aggressive! I would love to do a base 5.0 with PP but after TTL, it'll be around 33-35k.

Not factoring insurance so we'll see. I know I went up against a 5th Gen SS with my G35 and lost pretty bad lol...

The 6th Gen SS is way out of my price range so I'm not going to even bother with it.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Get an Ecoboost and put a tune on it. You'll have the power you want in the car you want.

I drove a '17 Camaro before I bought my GT. The combination of seating position, ride, and the fact I can't see out of the back was enough for me to head back to the Ford camp!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
2. Camaro V6
Pros: 335 HP, regular gas, cost to own, lighter/better performer than equivalent s550s
Cons: Kinda ugly, less practical
to get full power, 4-cylinders

5. Camaro I4
Pros: Cheap, gas mileage
Cons: Kinda ugly, less practical, premium fuel to get full power
End of story, get the Mustang :D

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
1. Mustang GT
Pros: See above, V8:headbang:
Cons: Price compared to lesser trims, cost to own (gas mileage, premium fuel
The GT doesn't require premium, and you won't notice a difference unless you want to wring out the very small HP bump at the track. Most here run 87 octane as per the manuals recommendation.

My 2016 GTPP gets 26.5 MPG on long highway trips with ease.

Last edited:

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Let us not forget the Mustang aftermarket community is unrivaled. Way simpler and cheaper to get faster with a Mustang.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Easy to squeeze 27-28mpg out of the 5.0 on a road trip.

OP
OP

BGM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang V6
Are you shopping? Cuz I am too.. Right now I may be leading towards a base 5.0 if I get approved. I thought about the V6 Camaro vs the EB/V6 but I haven't drove the V6 Camaro yet.

Drove the 5.0 and the EB/V6. The EB had more torque especially mid range and the V6 had more power up top. I would like to test drive the Camaro V6 since everyone is blowing it up to be a mid 13 second car. If that's the case, it should beat the EB/V6 by a few cars but for some reason I have a hard time believing that.

The 5.0 base didn't feel as peppy as the the PP.. The 3.73 gears is way more aggressive! I would love to do a base 5.0 with PP but after TTL, it'll be around 33-35k.

Not factoring insurance so we'll see. I know I went up against a 5th Gen SS with my G35 and lost pretty bad lol...

The 6th Gen SS is way out of my price range so I'm not going to even bother with it.
Sort of. I looked pretty seriously in June, early July. Mustang GT won my heart when I turned it on. I liked it so much I decided I didn't like the thought of leaving it outside and that I should probably consider going from an apartment to a house with a garage (rather, I came to my financial senses and thought I ought to consider home buying first, as boring as it is compared to car shopping, but it's more fun to tell it the other way).

Anyways, I test drove an EcoBoost, GT, Camaro V6 and BMW 228i in one day. It was fun. Camaro drives nice, but it just can't overcome the cons I mentioned. But a base one is all I'd need, so seeing some of the deals available on them are tempting.

But I agree with the pro Mustang comments here, so likely will plan on seeing what '18 offers first before doing anything (pending home search resolution).

I was always a GM fan growing up though, so the Camaro is such a big disappointment to me.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Camaro V6 I believe is the same price as a Base GT. MSRPs are pretty similar.

That should be a sign right there ;)

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
Here is my ranking sports/muscle (vettes and vipers not listed as they are pure sport

1. SRT Hellcat - Looks, Power, Performance Pro: Top Dog Pure American Muscle. Con: Heavy

2. GT350 - Performance, Looks, Performance X2, Top Dog American Sports/Muscle. Con: N/A

3. ZL1 - Performance Con: Ugly, cramped, poor vis

4. Z28 - Performance Con: Ugly, cramped, poor vis

5. SRT Challenger - Looks, Acceptable power, affordable. Con: Big

6. GT Stang - Looks, Acceptable power, affordable. Con: Small

7. SS Camaro - Acceptable power, affordable, performance. Con: Ugly, cramped, poor vis

I did not include non V8's on my list as I would not be interested.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Easy to squeeze 27-28mpg out of the 5.0 on a road trip.
Same here and I didn't believe it at first. When you run 80 it's more like 25-26.

Round town it's a little more than half that.
Sponsored