blvkstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dino
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hello,
I just bought a new to me 2016 GT PP with a manual transmission. 24 hours into owning it and about 30 miles into spirited driving, I was locked out of gears. While the car is on, I cannot get it in gear, the pedal is spongy and if I start it in first (it shifts fine when it's off), the car wants to go forward. I'm thinking it's the master clutch cylinder, have one coming in from Ford already, but I'd like to hear your guys' opinion, what could it be?
Sponsored

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear that, from what I have read on here most likely the clutch let go. It seems a real weak point when it gets hot, stress fractures form and it shatters. Could be from misuse from the previous owner, it was already fatigued.

OP
OP
blvkstang

blvkstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dino
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sorry to hear that, from what I have read on here most likely the clutch let go. It seems a real weak point when it gets hot, stress fractures form and it shatters. Could be from misuse from the previous owner, it was already fatigued.
I would really love to believe that it’s just the master cylinder. I did find some fluid on the rod though, not sure if there should be any.

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
I would really love to believe that it’s just the master cylinder. I did find some fluid on the rod though, not sure if there should be any.
I hope so too, let us know what you find.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
probably clutch. If I was to buy a used Mustang, I would assume the clutch might go bad and factor that into an offer.

Sponsored

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
It’s the clutch. Been there more than once on the stock clutch.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Yup my first thought reading that was the clutch went out.

Hopefully it’s just the cylinder though.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
My educated guess would be the clutch itself or the slave cylinder. Shortly after having the power pack 3 installed and shifting at 7500 rpms, I started having issues with the stock clutch. Everytime I got on it hard, the clutch pedal would go to the floor and stay there for about 2 minutes and I had problems shifting into 3rd at or near redline. I replaced the clutch, slave cylinder, flywheel and installed the stainless steel clutch line. Problems are now gone.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I'm on my second oem clutch with 34k miles. Made in Turkey... There's the problem.

If it is the clutch while your in there, replace the tob, pilot bearing. Have your flywheel surfaced or replaced if bad. Tob, pilot bearing are like $127, $14. Piece of mind.

OP
OP
blvkstang

blvkstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dino
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So a quick update. I replaced the master cylinder rod part, whatever it's called lol, the part that's connected to the pedal. Anyways, long story short, nope, that wasn't it, after bleeding the system and starting the car, nothing has changed, still can't go into gear and this time I can actually smell my clutch burning so yep, ordered a new triple disk clutch kit, just to be safe, new flywheel, new tob, pilot bearing and a braided clutch line. Taking it to the local shop as soon as the parts come in and honestly just awaiting for the moment I'll be able to drive it. Thanks everyone for your help, I just didn't wanna believe that it's the clutch lol, oh well, it is what it is.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Sounds like a solid setup. More than likely headed this same direction soon. Minus the triple disc. Ill just go a twin disc spring hub.

Dablue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Xavier
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
Hello guys I have a 2015 gt pp
My clutch went out at 54k
Replaced it with exedy Mach 500 stage 1 organic clutch kit with the hydraulic throw out also got the McLeod stainless steel clutch line another thing that I added added Was the Barton hybrid 3 short shifter connected to the tranny .. now that I got it back I noticed that shifting goes gotten harder, so I adjusted the shifter feels nice when the car is off when it’s on I noticed that it does want to go in gear I kinda struggle but it’s funny cause it doesn’t do it all the time, well most of the time .. what do you guys think it mite be or had any experience with this..please let me know. thanks

only_1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hello guys I have a 2015 gt pp
My clutch went out at 54k
Replaced it with exedy Mach 500 stage 1 organic clutch kit with the hydraulic throw out also got the McLeod stainless steel clutch line another thing that I added added Was the Barton hybrid 3 short shifter connected to the tranny .. now that I got it back I noticed that shifting goes gotten harder, so I adjusted the shifter feels nice when the car is off when it’s on I noticed that it does want to go in gear I kinda struggle but it’s funny cause it doesn’t do it all the time, well most of the time .. what do you guys think it mite be or had any experience with this..please let me know. thanks
Your clutch likely isn't fully releasing. Get a vac pump on the brake reservoir and bleed it out. Just don't leave it on for a long time. It can mess with the brakes - Found that out firsthand.

Dablue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Xavier
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
Your clutch likely isn't fully releasing. Get a vac pump on the brake reservoir and bleed it out. Just don't leave it on for a long time. It can mess with the brakes - Found that out firsthand.
So that means that the person who worked on it did not bleed the hydraulic throw out the proper way?
Sponsored