Sponsored

MT82 Manual Transmission Fluid and Rear Axle Fluid Change

P.R.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hey everyone. I've done some extensive searches on this topic and there are a ton of threads about it. However, the one item I can't seem to find a clear answer on is how to accurately check the fill level for both the transmission and differential.

-For the transmission the manual specifies a fill level that is 10mm Ā± 3mm below the plug opening.
-For the axle the manual states: "The differential gear lubricant level should be within 9mm (0.354 in.) from the fluid level fill plug opening."

One option I'm considering is taking a dipstick and bending it so it can be used to access the fill plug ports since it seems that it would be nearly impossible to visually check these measurements by trying to see into the port.

How have people measured this? I'm open to suggestions

MT82 Transmission Fill Level.png

Rear Axle Fluid Level.png
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
P.R.

P.R.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Fluid change went well. Thanks for the bent wire idea BlackandBlue. Created a quick dipstick with a copper wire and notched 7, 10 and 13mm locations.

IMG_2666.jpg

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.

Sponsored

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
What fluid did you use for the axle?

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Wow - and here I've just been filling it until it trickles out.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
I used a larger sized paper clip. Easy to bend, easy to see the oil on it.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Wow - and here I've just been filling it until it trickles out.

The way I do it, we call that old school works just fine, when it stops the trickle, plug it run it . :champagne:

I do like the dip stick, slick idea, will make one for the hell of it.. Good work OP :thumbsup:

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
How do you like the new fluid? Notice any significant difference?

OP
OP
P.R.

P.R.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
What fluid did you use for the axle?
I used Castrol SYNTRAX Limited Slip 75W-90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil. It came highly recommended from my friend who is a master mechanic for Porsche and BMWs. Heā€™s tracked a good range of cars and has been through quite a few gear oils and heā€™s been happy with this one. Heā€™s a tough critic.

I didnā€™t use the friction modifier and itā€™s been good so far. No noticeable change, but there was no issue to begin with. I wanted to change it since I was preparing for my first hpde day and Iā€™d never changed it yet.

OP
OP
P.R.

P.R.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
You should make them for sale!
Lol itā€™s literally a piece of bent wire that I used wire snips and a hammer to make. Though I did keep tweaking it because the gear oil was so clear it was super hard to see so I flattened the end and kept adding more grooves to try to make the oil stay in place.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I used Castrol SYNTRAX Limited Slip 75W-90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil. It came highly recommended from my friend who is a master mechanic for Porsche and BMWs. Heā€™s tracked a good range of cars and has been through quite a few gear oils and heā€™s been happy with this one. Heā€™s a tough critic.

I didnā€™t use the friction modifier and itā€™s been good so far. No noticeable change, but there was no issue to begin with. I wanted to change it since I was preparing for my first hpde day and Iā€™d never changed it yet.
If you have the Torsen the friction modifier is optional, it just lowers the lockup ratio a little to give the street manners that 2% improvement.