NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
Hey Everyone,

So my car is making this whirring sound, kind of like dry gears rotating, or like a steel marble rolling on a surface. It's coming from under the shifter and is directly tied to throttle input (goes away when off the gas). Its loudest between 2.5k rpm and 4k rpm. Aything over that and the exhaust begins to drown everything out. Its the most apparent when cruising in 3rd 4th and 5th. I had the clutch system (clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, Throw out bearing, Pilot bearing) replaced by Ford about 9 months ago and have only put 6,0000 miles on the car since. I put BG sychromesh fluid in the trans about 1 month ago but the sound started two days ago so I don't think it's related. I've just about had it with this transmission so I'm inclined to ignore it. My main gripe is that I'm out of powertrain warranty so even if it's a defective clutch system part Ford wont cover it even though the whole system was replaced less than a year ago. Anyone have any ideas of what this sound could be?

Thanks
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If it’s a whirring or chirping sound, usually that’s a throw out bearing…. especially if the noise subsided when not under load…

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
If it’s a whirring or chirping sound, usually that’s a throw out bearing…. especially if the noise subsided when not under load…
I had the throw out bearing replaced not long ago, any idea what could cause it to go out again?

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Is the throw out bearing meant to fully disengage from the clutch? I wonder if it is fully disengaging.

just curious, do you have the helper spring on the pedal or did you replace of remove it?

is the pedal coming all the way up?

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
Is the throw out bearing meant to fully disengage from the clutch? I wonder if it is fully disengaging.

just curious, do you have the helper spring on the pedal or did you replace of remove it?

is the pedal coming all the way up?
I have the Steeda clutch pedal spring in place of the OEM spring. Sometimes when coming to a stop the pedal will stop about 90% of the way up, I usually just pull it the rest of the way up with my foot but it's rare for it to happen, it drives fine and I have no issues shifting. The clutch grabs and disengages without and issue and there isn't any noise or vibration when pushing the pedal in. The only issue is audible. It's also not constant, it comes and goes and I have no idea what causes it, really lost on this one. I know the dealer will just tell me it's fine and to go about my businesses, but after all my transmission troubles I'm just hypersensitive if something is off.

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Noise is one thing but:

Sometimes when coming to a stop the pedal will stop about 90% of the way up, I usually just pull it the rest of the way up with my foot but it's rare for it to happen
I had that problem.

That pedal behavior is abnormal, and you can't say for sure it isn't related to your other issue. I've got an aftermarket spring under my pedal too. It shouldn't affect anything. You may have air if they bled the system improperly doing work, or you just have dirty fluid.

Bleed the system before giving up. If you can't or won't then just read. This thing I'm going to say takes only 15 minutes and costs almost nothing.

When my clutch pedal was failing to return to full height I suspected a bad slave cylinder, which can cause other issues as well. I didn't feel like jacking up the car and bleeding the slave so I did a quick and dirty fluid exchange.

My brake/clutch reservior was also full of tiny black particles. Who knows why, but it was the filthiest reservior I have ever seen. So I used a turkey baster and sucked all I could out of the master cylinder and replaced it with clean Motorcraft DOT 4. You get to change out about a pint of fluid this way. And the fluid is less than $20/qt from Amazon.

There was instant pedal improvement after pumping it a few times. After two more fluid exchanges over the next few days (you need a hundred pumps between to mix) the old pedal feel is back.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
There is no way you're going to just jack up the car and bleed the slave, unless what you mean by not wanting to jack up the car is that you don't want to pull the trans.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
There is no way you're going to just jack up the car and bleed the slave, unless what you mean by not wanting to jack up the car is that you don't want to pull the trans.
My bad. I've been under some Nissan and Subaru cars where clutch cylinders are more accessible. I should have checked the SM.
Anyway I was just throwing a trick out there for the OP.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
my scion, had a terrible whirling noise. it was the input shaft. (diff car) but the whirling for me, when I push clutch in, went away. but when clutch didnt have foot on it, whirling, driving around. louder it got w higher rpm. but if you pushed clutch in, completely quiet.

LargoRoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Manual
Hey Everyone,

So my car is making this whirring sound, kind of like dry gears rotating, or like a steel marble rolling on a surface. It's coming from under the shifter and is directly tied to throttle input (goes away when off the gas). Its loudest between 2.5k rpm and 4k rpm. Aything over that and the exhaust begins to drown everything out. Its the most apparent when cruising in 3rd 4th and 5th. I had the clutch system (clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, Throw out bearing, Pilot bearing) replaced by Ford about 9 months ago and have only put 6,0000 miles on the car since. I put BG sychromesh fluid in the trans about 1 month ago but the sound started two days ago so I don't think it's related. I've just about had it with this transmission so I'm inclined to ignore it. My main gripe is that I'm out of powertrain warranty so even if it's a defective clutch system part Ford wont cover it even though the whole system was replaced less than a year ago. Anyone have any ideas of what this sound could be?

Thanks
Did you ever figure out what it is? I just bought a 2021 GT with the MT-82 and hear a crazy loud rattling noise in those same RPM range. Sounds like marbles rolling around and gets louder depending on RPM.
Sponsored