Sponsored

*MT-82 upgraded* but what does it mean ?

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I am new to the 5.0 / MT82 and my initial impressions are that this transmission is very much sub par. To be honest, it reminds me of the 5 speed from my old '88 300zx turbo which was originally designed for trucks if I remember correctly. It is notchy, sluggish to get in to gear without feeling like you are going to break something and overall noisy. I changed out the oil to the BG oil ASAP after buying her and the difference is night and day but you can still tell it is a sloppy transmission.

I have driven the TR6060 in multiple base C6 Corvettes, a ZR1 and a gen 5 Viper. It is lightyears ahead of the MT82 in every regard. Even my old G35's transmission was lightyears ahead, probably the smoothest manual box I have ever driven and from what I understand they are pretty stout to boot.

I can't for the life of me understand why Ford put one of the best motors ever made in to this car and then cheaped out with this transmission. With that said, it is still funner than an auto! I really hope they do something with the newer models whether it be revamping the MT82 or going to another gearbox completely.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I am new to the 5.0 / MT82 and my initial impressions are that this transmission is very much sub par. To be honest, it reminds me of the 5 speed from my old '88 300zx turbo which was originally designed for trucks if I remember correctly. It is notchy, sluggish to get in to gear without feeling like you are going to break something and overall noisy. I changed out the oil to the BG oil ASAP after buying her and the difference is night and day but you can still tell it is a sloppy transmission.

I have driven the TR6060 in multiple base C6 Corvettes, a ZR1 and a gen 5 Viper. It is lightyears ahead of the MT82 in every regard. Even my old G35's transmission was lightyears ahead, probably the smoothest manual box I have ever driven and from what I understand they are pretty stout to boot.

I can't for the life of me understand why Ford put one of the best motors ever made in to this car and then cheaped out with this transmission. With that said, it is still funner than an auto! I really hope they do something with the newer models whether it be revamping the MT82 or going to another gearbox completely.
Have you driven the 18 yet? Sluggish is not how I would describe it. It is way better than our 350Z trans.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Doesn't the revised MT-82 have 2 overdrives now? IF so, I probably wouldn't touch it.
It's got an entirely different gearset that widens the spacing between the first four gears in exchange for inserting its 5th gear midway between where 5th and 6th is in the early MT82. No more huge rev drop going into 6th.

vs

Norm

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Except for the fact that the 350Z manual will auto rev match on down shifts. :(
I just see that as something for the lazy. I want less automatic stuff in my cars.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I think there has to be a quality control issue with the 15-17's. Or perhaps some different parts or suppliers for certain parts from time to time. My MT82 is up there with any manual sports car I have driven. The shift effort is light and easy at any RPM or speed, and can literally be shifted with a single finger. I do have the Steeda Tri-ax installed, but even before then it was fantastic. It is what sold me on the car when I purchased it, even knowing about all of the gripes that others had about it.

Last edited:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Except for the fact that the 350Z manual will auto rev match on down shifts. :(
You are thinking of the 370Z. The 350 doesn't have that stuff. I don't need it anyway. I have been driving long enough to know how to do it without.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I just see that as something for the lazy. I want less automatic stuff in my cars.
It's simple tech that can be turned off for purists :)

The diehard manual group are going to accelerate the extinction of the manual transmission with that mentality.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It's simple tech that can be turned off for purists :)

The diehard manual group are going to accelerate the extinction of the manual transmission with that mentality.
Nah. As long as there are combustion engines in performance vehicles, there will be manual transmissions. As those IC engines start to fade out, there will be no purpose for manual transmissions. Can't stop technology, but we can enjoy what we have for now.

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
It's got an entirely different gearset that widens the spacing between the first four gears in exchange for inserting its 5th gear midway between where 5th and 6th is in the early MT82. No more huge rev drop going into 6th.

The new gearing isn't TOO far off from the Mach1 3650 gearing other than 1st and adding 1 gear.

1st: 3.380:1 +.14
2nd: 2.000:1 -.1
3rd: 1.320:1 -.1
4th: 1.000:1
5th: 0.620:1 (moved to 6th)(used in 02-04 with GT and Mach 1)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
all that duel mass fw is gunna do is make driving it easier,less vibration, more weight on the fw.. i had a dm fw in one of my legacy gt,s soon as i did down pipe exhaust and tune. it started slipping in 3rd gear pulls and it only had 20k miles when all that was done. and the po was a older guy in his 60s so im sure he didnt..beat the hell out of before hand
unless there dm fw is any diff its not going to handle much over stock power for to long.i switched it to a wrx fw and stage 3 clutch.. still going strong and its been 4 yrs.. sold it to my buddy who still drives it
All that sounds like a pressure plate issue rather than a d-m flywheel problem. You can only transmit as much torque as the friction created by PP clamping force allows. Add more torque without adding more friction and it'll just slip if the factory clamping load didn't have a lot of margin to begin with.

FWIW, I'm 70 and my wife's LGT gets driven pretty hard from time to time. Not abusively as with speed shifting, frequently redlining the engine/running it into fuel cut, and similar harsh treatment, but not as gently as you seem to think all older people always drive.

Norm

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Overall looks like a better cruising/more efficient DD gearing.

Wow Norm you are 70? You internet pretty well for someone in that generation.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Overall looks like a better cruising/more efficient DD gearing.

Wow Norm you are 70? You internet pretty well for someone in that generation.
Better than my parents in their 50's 60's.

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Have you driven the 18 yet? Sluggish is not how I would describe it. It is way better than our 350Z trans.
Nope. Maybe I need to if you think it is better than the 350z trans because those things are butter smooth.
Sponsored