Sponsored

Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil Wear Protection results!

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Dude, I spend four times as much just on summer tires each year. An extra 300 is not on my radar for oil changes.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Dude, I spend four times as much just on summer tires each year. An extra 300 is not on my radar for oil changes.
Might as well just change your oil after every drive then.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, THAT would be silly sir!

Silly Millhouse...

OP
OP
1380KPOI

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
So why pic 5000 miles? Why not 2000 miles? 8000 miles? Do you understand where I’m going with this?

As for your film strength concern, without proper additives….that film strength can be greatly reduced after a few thousand miles depending on your oil of choice. You have to remember that the oils job is not only to provide sufficient film strength, but to ensure that film strength remains throughout the duration of use. Engine oil A may test out to be “incredible” but be absolute shit after 1000 miles. Remember, the oil is circulated through the engine and filtered. How much of those additives get filtered out has a huge bearing on oil longevity. There is a reason some oils offer protection out past 10000 miles without changing. This cannot be measured by initial oil film strength.

So you see, simply measuring film strength without taking anything else into consideration is a risky endeavor. There is a reason we don’t use racing oil with high initial film strength in our daily drivers.

Now with all of that said, I’m not saying that Motorcraft by any means is better than any other oils. What I’m saying is that it is totally adequate….and you aren’t going to notice any engine longevity by using any other oils. If you want to spend more on oil because it makes you feel better….awesome. Your initial post however makes it seem like everyone is going to have engine failure from using Motorcrafts inferior oil…which is total horseshit.

Gotcha, so I’ll light up $300+/year on extra oil changes…..to change oil at 3000 miles that doesn’t need to be changed until 5000+ miles. And in the end, it’s not really insurance if the engine oil is designed and formulated correctly to last 5000+ miles. I personally don’t enjoy draining clean oil for the sake of changing it.

Why don’t you change your oil after 1500 miles? 1000 miles? It’s cheap protection right?
My initial post was the disappointment with the oil film strength result tested at 230 degrees. MC advertises Friction Fighting Formula printed on their label. It sounds like a marketing gimmick
"....makes it seem like everyone is going to have engine failure from using Motorcrafts inferior oil"? I did not say that. Think what you want

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
My initial post was the disappointment with the oil film strength result tested at 230 degrees. MC advertises Friction Fighting Formula printed on their label. It sounds like a marketing gimmick
"....makes it seem like everyone is going to have engine failure from using Motorcrafts inferior oil"? I did not say that. Think what you want
You need to remember friction and film strength are not synonymous (A heavier weight oil may very well have a higher film strength yet also have a high friction coefficient than a lighter weight oil with equal film strength), and all motor oils contain friction fighting ingredients.

You changed motor oils because you feel the film strength of Motorcraft will damage your engine and complain about false advertising. Is this not correct?

I’m curious how you know what the minimum film strength requirement is for your engine to sufficiently combat wear, or if you know what the film strength is of the oils at 1000, 2000 or 5000 mile intervals?

OP
OP
1380KPOI

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
You need to remember friction and film strength are not synonymous (A heavier weight oil may very well have a higher film strength yet also have a high friction coefficient than a lighter weight oil with equal film strength), and all motor oils contain friction fighting ingredients.

You changed motor oils because you feel the film strength of Motorcraft will damage your engine and complain about false advertising. Is this not correct?

I’m curious how you know what the minimum film strength requirement is for your engine to sufficiently combat wear, or if you know what the film strength is of the oils at 1000, 2000 or 5000 mile intervals?
Thank you for the clarification. I don't know the answer to your question, and neither do you.
Anyhow I would much prefer to spend $1.30 more per 5 quart jug of motor oil for a much improved oil film strength at a cold start and knowing the additive package did not significantly was depleted at an overheating temperature such as QSUD.
This discussion is beginning to go in circles...

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I use the 5000 mile oil change interval benchmark for myself or 12 months, whichever comes first. My main concern is finding an oil with a high film strength at a cold start since the oil film is attached to the parts until the oil can be pushed through. At operating temperature it's all the same it me. I do not drag race
Doesn't our owner's manual suggest to change oil by mileage or every 6 months? For me, I change mine every 6 months which works out to about 5k.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Another factor of driving habits is taking shorts trips vs long trips, i.e. moisture collection, contamination, etc. There's a lot to consider if you get scientific. I choose to change oil conservatively and call it a day.

Ford doesn't push MC oil as the only oil you can use, they just specify whatever is used should be to spec. They aren't going to deny warranty for an engine that craps out if it has Walmart oil (they won't analyze it) but if oil isn't touching the stick or it looks like molasses that's a problem. Tracking the car, yeah maybe get a little more finicky then.

OP
OP
1380KPOI

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Doesn't our owner's manual suggest to change oil by mileage or every 6 months? For me, I change mine every 6 months which works out to about 5k.
Yes it does. It would be a good idea to keep up the 6 month oil changes at least until the powertrain warranty runs out. My powertrain warranty has been shortened to 36 months since I had the FP Power Pack 2 installed on my GT

Sponsored
OP
OP
1380KPOI

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Well peeps, it appears that Walmart's Supertech 5W30 conventional oil beat out the factory filled Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20 in terms of wear protection. YIKES,

159. 5W30 Walmart Supertech, API SN, conventional, blue bottle = 72,521 psi
This oil cost $2.44 per quart in December 2017.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested late 2017.

160. 5W20 Motorcraft, Friction Fighting Formula, API SN, synthetic blend = 72,144 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Summer 2017.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Typically, Walmart synthetic is Mag 1. It used to also be found in a Mobil 1 variety in some parts of the country. NAPA Gold synthetic is Valvoline. I have no problem using either in a street car.

OP
OP
1380KPOI

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Typically, Walmart synthetic is Mag 1. It used to also be found in a Mobil 1 variety in some parts of the country. NAPA Gold synthetic is Valvoline. I have no problem using either in a street car.
Great! So how do we explain Walmart's CONVENTIONAL oil being neck in neck with our factory filled Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20 in terms of wear protection? :headbonk:

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, yup! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sponsored