Sponsored

Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil Wear Protection results!

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Last week I sent in an unopened quart of Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend oil to 540 RAT to see how well this oil performed in wear protection. I cannot believe how LOW this oil scored in terms of PSI. "Friction Fightimg Formula" my a$$! It looks like I will be moving over to Quaker State Ultimate Durability

#147. 5W20 Motorcraft, Friction Fighting Formula, API SN, synthetic blend = 72,144 psi

. The Wear Protection reference categories are:

. • Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

. • 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

. • 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

. • 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection

. • Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Last week I sent in an unopened quart of Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend oil to 540 RAT to see how well this oil performed in wear protection. I cannot believe how LOW this oil scored in terms of PSI. "Friction Fightimg Formula" my a$$! It looks like I will be moving over to Quaker State Ultimate Durability

#147. 5W20 Motorcraft, Friction Fighting Formula, API SN, synthetic blend = 72,144 psi

. The Wear Protection reference categories are:

. • Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

. • 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

. • 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

. • 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection

. • Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection
You need to take his ratings with a grain of salt. If you found out the difference between modest wear protection and incredible wear protection meant the difference between your engine lasting 500k miles and 515k miles...would you still spend the money on the incredible wear oils? He makes some inferences in his testing results do not mean your engine will last longer with one oil over the other...as his tests do not replicate the wear in an internal combustion engine.

There are some very polarizing reads out there on the subject.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
It is synthetic blend, and I would expect it to be outperformed by most full synthetics.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Full synthetic will last longer, but even a good quality non synthetic will do just as well as long as it's drained before the viscosity breaks down. If you were to insist on changing your oil every 3K miles you may as well use standard high quality dino oil.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Most don't track/drag race the car yet change every 5K. Motorcraft is more than enough for that. I mean crap I put Walmart's SuperTech synthetic in my Silverado and did an oil analysis at 7,500 (10K changes according to computer) and they said it was probably good to 15K.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You need to take his ratings with a grain of salt. If you found out the difference between modest wear protection and incredible wear protection meant the difference between your engine lasting 500k miles and 515k miles...would you still spend the money on the incredible wear oils? He makes some inferences in his testing results do not mean your engine will last longer with one oil over the other...as his tests do not replicate the wear in an internal combustion engine.

The ranking has some relevance, but the real good info is looking at the wear protection at standard (230 F) and elevated (275 F) temperatures and seeing the difference. THAT is worth something for anyone that pushes their car hard (track).

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The ranking has some relevance, but the real good info is looking at the wear protection at standard (230 F) and elevated (275 F) temperatures and seeing the difference. THAT is worth something for anyone that pushes their car hard (track).
It’s only worth something if you know its effect on your engine. The added wear protection may be great if you are using a flat tappet camshaft, but may not make a hill of beans worth of difference on any other engine. The data isn’t bad per say, you just have to judge the relevance on how it relates to your engine for yourself.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT

The higher the protection the better when you are pushing the limits...8k rpm, double the hp rating of factory, etc. I just bought the quaker state, already had one coyote fail for inadequate oiling...

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
From '13 before he put how he did the tests or his credentials on his blog. Quite a few engine builders and high end gear heads I know reference his blog and heed his advice. In the end, you have to go with what you are comfortable with.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Engine design is more important than engine oil. LS engines will have lifter issues regardless what oil you use.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
gt350 has a higher flow oil pump than the gt so I agree with engine design over oil. You can run the GT at 8k , high heat, or double the power but its out of scope. Probably like wanting the MT82 to handle 500 lb ft and power shifting.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I thought the GT350 has the same oil pump gear so how can it have higher flow?

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford Racing oil filter has a higher rate as well as a better "bypass feature".
Sponsored