Sponsored

Motor Trend BDC GT350R Commentary (Update: 2nd Place)

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Agreed, I'm glad it placed 2nd and I'm really shocked that the Camaro was that good of an experience to be up there as well. Beating out the Viper and GT-R was a bit shocking to me but I guess it's understandable when you think Driver's Car and not speed demon track car. This is also not me hating on the GT350, I love my car as well, just saying I'm amazed that it beat out the cars that it did.

I don't see how the Camaro 1LE is that much of an all that experience. The refresh to the interior was much needed, it looks good... on the inside.
Agreed, I am very surprised the 1LE placed so high. Without a doubt, the Vette Grand Sport will take home the trophy next year. Nothing is going to touch its ability to combine a comfortable grand tourer with incredible performance and its ability to slaughter any track.

On a side note, I am very pleased that the R outstripped the 911!! That in itself is worthy of great praise, as Porsche simply has the whole sports thing locked down. Seriously look at the numbers it puts up... 3.1s to 60, 11.5 1/4 mile at 122 mph, with "only" 420 hp and really shitty Pirelli tires. Its really insane. And the fact that it came within a few tenths of the R with those Pirellis is incredible... can you imagine if it wore the same Sport Cup 2's? I would bet that it would have turned over a 1:34.XX if it had serious track rubber on it. But the driving experience/engine is just that dam good in the R :)

Sad though, because it will never be back in this competition again, and it really is the only magazine competition like this out there, so it will never again have the chance to wear the crown. Would have made a great wall piece on the front of a MT magazine if it had won :(
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Agreed, I am very surprised the 1LE placed so high. Without a doubt, the Vette Grand Sport will take home the trophy next year. Nothing is going to touch its ability to combine a comfortable grand tourer with incredible performance and its ability to slaughter any track.

On a side note, I am very pleased that the R outstripped the 911!! That in itself is worthy of great praise, as Porsche simply has the whole sports thing locked down. Seriously look at the numbers it puts up... 3.1s to 60, 11.5 1/4 mile at 122 mph, with "only" 420 hp and really shitty Pirelli tires. Its really insane. And the fact that it came within a few tenths of the R with those Pirellis is incredible... can you imagine if it wore the same Sport Cup 2's? I would bet that it would have turned over a 1:34.XX if it had serious track rubber on it. But the driving experience/engine is just that dam good in the R :)

Sad though, because it will never be back in this competition again, and it really is the only magazine competition like this out there, so it will never again have the chance to wear the crown. Would have made a great wall piece on the front of a MT magazine if it had won :(
Some of those cars have been in the shootout previously - so there's hope. I think the AMG GTS and Viper are both back.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Some of those cars have been in the shootout previously - so there's hope. I think the AMG GTS and Viper are both back.
The ACR hasn't been in the BDC before, and the GT-S was returning Champ, which always gets invited to defend the crown.

And since they never changed anything for the R for 2017, I'm afraid it won't get another invite :(

Unless they consider 2017 exclusive colors a "change" :D

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
The GT350R is that good... that maybe M/T should bring it back for 2017 and perhaps even for 2018! I don't think Randy P. will disapprove... :D

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't see how the Camaro 1LE is that much of an all that experience. The refresh to the interior was much needed, it looks good... on the inside.
Drive one. It's not a bad car...if you can see out of it. The 1SS is looking to be the car to have in F Street for SCCA.

OP
OP
garagelogic

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Drive one. It's not a bad car...if you can see out of it. The 1SS is looking to be the car to have in F Street for SCCA.
How? You can't even order that package yet, let alone drive a SS with the option, can you?

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The 1LEs tires are significantly better than the 350's PSS. They're more on the lines of a Cup 2.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The GT350R is that good... that maybe M/T should bring it back for 2017 and perhaps even for 2018! I don't think Randy P. will disapprove... :D
Yeah but with the C7 GS in the mix..and/or Z28, I don't think there's any chance of it doing any better than it did. I'll take the solid 2nd place behind a $200k supercar. Could buy 3 GT350Rs, a trailer and cheap tow vehicle for that :)

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Yeah but with the C7 GS in the mix..and/or Z28, I don't think there's any chance of it doing any better than it did. I'll take the solid 2nd place behind a $200k supercar. Could buy 3 GT350Rs, a trailer and cheap tow vehicle for that :)
I not implying (nor rooting) for it to be a 1st place finisher.... I'd just want to see it be included again for competition purposes. Even if it ends up 9th place or whatever, it won't change my stance on how good of a driver's car it is. ;)

And Randy to track it again! :D