Sponsored

Motor Trend BDC GT350R Commentary (Update: 2nd Place)

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I think you are comparing the 2016 base car not the track pack or 2017 base car. Including magna ride, all those you mention already exist in that car. The only difference suspension wise is software tuning. This has been confirmed by Ford.
WRONG!!!!!!!! the R has firmer bushings and the MR dampeners have different part #'s because they are, well, DIFFERENT To include, springs which share the dame rates but are shorter, rear bar end links are shorter LOL. The MR shocks have smaller orifices that the fluid passes through to have better control or rather faster reaction in damping.
DUDE!!! All this data has been out since early 16 and I would like to see where Ford so called confirmed that the 16 TP or 17 base car match the R for part numbers.
Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
WRONG!!!!!!!! the R has firmer bushings and the MR dampeners have different part #'s because they are, well, DIFFERENT To include, springs which share the dame rates but are shorter, rear bar end links are shorter LOL. The MR shocks have smaller orifices that the fluid passes through to have better control or rather faster reaction in damping.
DUDE!!! All this data has been out since early 16 and I would like to see where Ford so called confirmed that the 16 TP or 17 base car match the R for part numbers.
You may know more about than me but I have never heard about shorter springs etc. i have read in motortrend review, smoking tire, car and driver, edmunds all mention that from a suspension perspective its all identical except the tune is different and thats because tire widths and compounds are different so anything from ABS to stability control and traction management in addition to magna ride damping itself will have to be coded specific for that tire size and tire compound. In addition the magna ride has a stiffer setup.

Others can correct me on this. But I honestly dont see an entire suspenion being unique for R, the cost of doing that would be far more than the 7k they charge you which covers CF wheels.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
You may know more about than me but I have never heard about shorter springs etc. i have read in motortrend review, smoking tire, car and driver, edmunds all mention that from a suspension perspective its all identical except the tune is different and thats because tire widths and compounds are different so anything from ABS to stability control and traction management in addition to magna ride damping itself will have to be coded specific for that tire size and tire compound. In addition the magna ride has a stiffer setup.

Others can correct me on this. But I honestly dont see an entire suspenion being unique for R, the cost of doing that would be far more than the 7k they charge you which covers CF wheels.
The springs are shorter, and I believe the rates are stiffer in the R. The dampers themselves have a smaller orifice as others have mentioned above. Cannot remember which, but one of the sway bars are bigger on the R as well, and in addition the other small items that others have mentioned. The higher cost is primarily due to the wheels though and rear spoiler. The R front splitter is also much more expensive as it is a one piece design that provides significantly more downforce.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Easy internet search or owners supplement query.The spring rates on the track pack and 17 are the same as the R the only difference is the height. All sway bars are same diameter, rear bar has shorter end links

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Easy internet search or owners supplement query.The spring rates on the track pack and 17 are the same as the R the only difference is the height. All sway bars are same diameter, rear bar has shorter end links
I love how some try to talk down the difference between cars yet really do not have specifics or even really know. Dont tell me you think or you read. Look it up verify before you post DAMN!!!

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
so that means R is lower?

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
I like that the R just handed that GTS it's ass at Laguna and I suspect Randy had more fun doing it, too. Twice the cost of the R?! what a joke.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Great review

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
so that means R is lower?
That is the reason that shipping bushings are installed in the springs on the R cars, to assist in shipping with the lower height so the cars can be loaded and unloaded without scraping.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Damn high praise from Randy Pobst.

Regarding R vs. Non-R, I think those who own an R will typically say that the difference between the two is significant and due to a large number of factors that will be difficult to replicate on a non-R.

Those of us "stuck" with a non-R, will be convinced that we are only some lightweight wheels and a tire-swap away from having essentially an R with the added benefit of a back seat.

In the end we can all rest easy that both of these (and all Mustangs, really) are great cars from the factory and with the aftermarket can easily be tailored to the needs and desires of the owner. Great times we are living in, IMO.

Now we just need Ford to release a software update that allows us to keep the exhaust valves closed. That way we can enjoy Laguna Seca on the typical 92 dB trackday.

-T

Last edited:

Sponsored

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I see where [MENTION=22079]MCarsFan[/MENTION] is going with this and I'd love to drive an R to see and feel the difference.
Are we talking the difference of my 15 GT/PP to my 16 GT 350 track pack difference?
I don't think you throw enough $ to get my GT/PP to handle even close to my 350?
Is it that big a gap?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Hit that last corner and its under 1:36.
Thats good...
They don't show the video to the fastest lap time. The one in the video, yes he ran wide, but that was the commentary lap. None of his hot laps, the actual timed lap that we see the 1:36.11, are with commentary.

JRoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, MKIV, RR
Part 2: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...874CA85C3DE59A26E45B307E8A9B2B47E2A3971A7C6D9

Randy on the SS 1LE: I’ve been looking forward to the new Camaro SS 1LE because the versions I’ve been in have been really terrific. The engine is a big V-8, great sounds, fat torque curve, but it takes a while to get to the redline, I think partially because the car has really tall gears and a fairly wide ratio split. That braking capability was very impressive, almost unbelievably good considering it’s on a Goodyear Eagle F1 tire, which is a pure street tire. It’s not an R compound track tire. The best feature is the front-end grip. All the way though the corner, I could adjust the car with the steering. The front end never died, which is kind of unusual on a front-engine, rear-drive V-8-powered ponycar. The 1LE strikes me as an incredibly good value for the performance and the lap time and just the all-around performance automobile you can get for the price—really great to drive on track.

I have read his reviews on all of the cars tested so far and my interpretation is that I think he was hoping and expecting it to be better than it was. He still had to give a positive review given the 1LE is in contention for Best Driver's Car but i dont expect the 1LE to be in the top 3 when all is said and done.
Sponsored